Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Freedom Mobile

Annual $89 No Data | $99 50GB | EXPIRY JAN 6

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2024 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2016
1605 posts
2295 upvotes

[Freedom Mobile] Annual $89 No Data | $99 50GB | EXPIRY JAN 6

Previous thread got locked. If this thread should be deleted, mods please let me know. The deal is still on - ongoing discussion is good.

Previous Thread : https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freedom ... ar-2583918

PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST OR OFFER REFERRALS.

Please refrain from discussing loyalty/retention bonuses and keep this topic to the deal stated in this post.

$89/Year
  • Talk & Text
  • FREEDOM NETWORK
  • Unlimited Talk & Text
  • By The Gig: Add 1GB of Fast LTE Data for $15/30 days 20

$99/Year
  • 50GB/year Fast LTE
  • FREEDOM NETWORK
  • Unlimited Talk & Text
  • 50GB/year data
Last edited by illicit on Jan 5th, 2023 9:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
Thread Summary
Dec 2023: Freedom has upgraded the annual $99/50GB to Nationwide - unlimited calls and SMS/MMS, 50GB of data, now available Canada-wide, without any additional charges.
You'll want to enable data roaming on your device, and Nationwide Network in MyAccount.
--

Offer ends January 6

Freedom's $99/yr 50GB prepaid plan works out to $8.25 / 4GB per month, with unlimited Canada-wide talk and global SMS/MMS, on the Freedom network.
Calls and texts on a roaming partner's network (Nationwide) will be .05 per min/msg (provided there's a credit balance).
Data for Nationwide use can be purchased as a 30-day add-on ($15/GB).

Network Coverage Map

'New activations only'. Existing customers can open a new line for this plan, or ask the care agent if they would convert an existing prepaid line.
No need to go to a store, you can get this online. Ask the Prepaid Chat agent to send you a SIM card (free of charge, shipped express). The promotion can be saved for you for 14 days, note the order number. When you have the SIM, go back to Prepaid Chat to activate the line and make payment.
If you have an eSIM capable device you can request activation direct to eSIM.
$10 activation fee, SIM included, provincial taxes apply. Some third-party/non-corporate stores are charging an extra $10 'SIM fee', this can be avoided by going to a corporate store or big-box retailer.

Freedom Mobile retail outlets (includes Walmart/TMS/Best Buy) - https://locations.freedommobile.ca.
Locations listed as offering Warranty and Repair service are Freedom corporate stores.

Do not set up autopay on this annual plan. The billing system is designed for monthly pre-authorized debits. There is no autopay discount on annual plans.
Calendar a reminder to top up a couple weeks before your annual renewal date. Freedom will send you a reminder.
There are no refunds on prepaid plans.

Unlike the Big 3 budget brands, Freedom does not restrict access to desirable features -- full-speed LTE, VoLTE, WiFi Calling (free globally), eSIM support, international SMS & MMS, premium voice mail, call forwarding -- all are made freely available to every plan, postpaid or prepaid.

=> Device Compatibility Check <=

For an optimal Freedom network experience, you must have a phone that supports both LTE Band 13 and VoLTE on Freedom.
Otherwise, you may encounter dropped or missed calls/messages in fringe coverage or poor signal conditions.
On Freedom working VoLTE is required to access the 700MHz 'Extended Range LTE' Band 13.
You know VoLTE is enabled and active if your phone stays on LTE during a call.
[troubleshooting VoLTE]

With WiFi Calling, you can use your phone for calls and texts wherever you have WiFi connectivity - Nationwide, in poor cell signal locations, anywhere in the world - as if at home on the Freedom network.
To register for WiFi Calling tap the set-up link in your device Call settings, or go to:
https://myaccount.freedommobile.ca/dashboard/wifi-registration
You also need to enable WiFi Calling on the device; you can set either the Mobile network or WiFi to have priority for calls.

You can set up an iPhone to use a second SIM for Freedom WiFi Calling over cellular data, when Nationwide or roaming.
An overview. Some options for a data-only eSIM: Fido (domestic), Keepgo (Andromeda), 3HK.

There are thousands of Shaw WiFi hotspots in AB & BC, freely accessible to Freedom users.
When setting up your device for Shaw Passpoint access, set the WiFi EAP method to AKA (not AKA').

Check your data usage directly from the phone, dial: *123*1*1*2#
You'll immediately see your real-time usage (and top-up balance and renewal date). Put the dial sequence into a new contact 'Data usage', give it a speed dial.
Dial *123# for the self-serve start menu.
To manage your annual allotment, on an Android device you can set a monthly warning at the 3GB mark, with a mobile data suspend at 4GB.
If you exceed 50GB before renewal, there are 30-day data add-ons of 5GB for $25 and 1GB Nationwide for $15 ('One-Time Passes').

For existing prepaid line users, you can transfer credit balance between any two Freedom prepaid lines using a dial code. The transfer takes effect immediately.
Method 1:
On the transfer-out line dial: *136*transfer amount*transfer-to number#
Method 2:
On the transfer-out line dial: *123#, then:
choose (3)Transfer $$ from my own credit,
choose (1)Transfer to another customer,
enter destination number.

Although the annual plans do not meet Freedom's eligibility requirements for their referral program, users have reported success.
https://refer.freedommobile.ca/common/rules

If you are porting in a data line (tablet plan) from Fido, you will not be able to respond by text to authorize the port-out. Call Fido's Port Authorization Team within 90 minutes of making your Freedom port-in request: 1-866-405-8694.

Those porting in from Public Mobile should specify Telus as the provider and supply their PM account number.

To avoid unnecessary delays porting from not-so-popular VoIP providers (ported as fixed line thus taking ~3 business days, unlike cellular within a few hours), make sure the FM rep has the correct service provider's name - for Anveo it's Fibernetics. The port-in will keep failing until the correct provider name is used. For more details see this post.

Freedom Mobile frequency bands
3G UMTS
B4 (1700 MHz)
4G LTE
B4 (1700 MHz)
B7 (2600 MHz)
B13 (700 MHz) (extended range, better propagation)
B66 (1700 MHz) (Freedom's primary band, usually fastest)
B71 (600 MHz) (deployed mainly in Ottawa region, extended range)

Band/signal/site monitor apps (Android):
CellMapper
LTE Discovery
Network Cell Info

VoLTE is required to access B13
2340 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5618 upvotes
Thornhill
I was hoping for the upvotes on the other thread to go above 500, corroborating how awesome a deal that was.
I'm guessing people were either asking or pushing referrals. I think we have a don't ask, don't tell policy with referrals?
Last edited by Guest8723549234 on Dec 7th, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2016
1605 posts
2295 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: I was hoping for the upvotes on the other thread to go above 500, corroborating how awesome a deal that was.
Me too.. It's a great deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1349 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
I think the previous thread got locked because it deviated to loyalty/retention discussions to get either the 15GB bonus data or 25/year plan. But the above plan is a deal and should be kept as a hot deal. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2016
1605 posts
2295 upvotes
gbssengo wrote: I think the previous thread got locked because it deviated to loyalty/retention discussions to get either the 15GB bonus data or 25/year plan. But the above plan is a deal and should be kept as a hot deal. Thanks OP
I'll add a disclaimer and link to the $25/Year plan anyways in OP. Just so this doesn't happen again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5618 upvotes
Thornhill
gbssengo wrote: I think the previous thread got locked because it deviated to loyalty/retention discussions to get either the 15GB bonus data or 25/year plan. But the above plan is a deal and should be kept as a hot deal. Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5133 posts
5966 upvotes
There was a thread cleanup about the thing we shouldn’t be discussing before the lock. Yes not begging, but everyone saying they got it was enough to get the lock. So stay on topic people!!!!!!
Aug 23, 2010
399 posts
155 upvotes
Montr
Noob question but this doesn't seem to work in Québec right ?
I've looked at the coverage map and Québec doesn't seem to have coverage.
Just too bad was thinking of getting this plan for the kids
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2016
1605 posts
2295 upvotes
tsx wrote: Noob question but this doesn't seem to work in Québec right ?
Get a friend to activate in coverage area then ship you the SIMs.

EDIT : Read below - if majority of service usage is outside Freedom network you will be subject to termination.
Last edited by illicit on Jan 4th, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9110 posts
6961 upvotes
West GTEH!
Freedom uses Rogers Network in Quebec. ( I believe).
😎
Feb 1, 2008
895 posts
117 upvotes
Is the $89 talk-only plan only for the first year?

Was reading on the zoomer thread that i can swap out the sim card from the home phone device with this.

This seems like a better deal, and coverage is not an issue as the device stays at home.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1005 posts
744 upvotes
Ontario
Got this plan last week from walmart. Very good reception in Hamilton, I'm using LTE and Wifi calling. Overall very satisfied with the price and plan. There was a Walmart $25 gift card but its expired now, however you can still get the $10 connection fee waived just ask the rep nicely. Pm me if you have any questions.
Last edited by romeoz on Dec 7th, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2016
1605 posts
2295 upvotes
dubjk wrote: Is the $89 talk-only plan only for the first year?

Was reading on the zoomer thread that i can swap out the sim card from the home phone device with this.

This seems like a better deal, and coverage is not an issue as the device stays at home.
It's annual. Will renew at $89/yr.
Nov 8, 2022
68 posts
156 upvotes
dubjk wrote: Is the $89 talk-only plan only for the first year?

Agent says both plans will renew annually with the bonus or discount
Aug 9, 2016
222 posts
719 upvotes
will they charge you for overage of data, or internet just slows down after consuming all the 50gb?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1576 posts
1534 upvotes
Is getting a plan for one month the best way to test our the Freedom network?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6893 posts
5575 upvotes
sparkaction wrote: Is getting a plan for one month the best way to test our the Freedom network?
yes. that's the only way. but while you are testing, the deal might get pulled.
If it were me, I'd just bite the bullet and sign up. Maybe don't port over until you're sure it is ok for you because then you could potentially transfer the plan to someone to recover some of the cost.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29035 upvotes
Toronto
illicit wrote:
Get a friend to activate in coverage area then ship you the SIMs.
Webhead wrote:
Freedom uses Rogers Network in Quebec. ( I believe).
Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind Mobile owned by Gloablive) never purchased any frequency licenses in Quebec so they did not build a network.

"It will launch first in Toronto and Calgary and later in Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver with the goal of having a presence across Canada except Quebec."
From https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/glob ... 3-1.464026

If you are mostly roaming on partner networks (Rogers), Freedom Mobile may terminate your account.

From Appendix C: Fair Usage Policy
https://www.freedommobile.ca/docs/defau ... =TBM9Z4PQU
4. Roaming Services

Our services and rate plans are designed for you to use predominantly in our service area. If the majority of your voice, text or data usage over consecutive billing cycles is not in our service area, we may terminate your service or restrict your ability to receive service on our third party service provider’s networks.
Destiny is all

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)