Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile, awful billing and customer service.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 8:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5220 posts
637 upvotes

Freedom Mobile, awful billing and customer service.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a first time customer and I will not use them nor recommend them to anyone.

At the beginning of January. I ordered a sim card to open a prepaid account. It's the $19 1.5gb unlimited nationwide talk text plan. $29 originally but $19 with autopay. I have to say the ordering and sign up process through their chat system was a pain in the ass. I needed a different billing address than service address. I had to cycle through 3 chat agents before I got one who really seem to understand what I was asking. In the end it was done.

I signed in and signed up immediately for autopay. I did not see any discount reflected. It told me to top up. I used chat support and was assured everything was correct and that I would get the discount, that I should just click top up. I did that. It didn't work the first time but I had to re-enter my card information.

I was charged $27.12.

I kept getting SMS about top up coming soon at $29. So I did the chat support again and they said everything is fine and I would be refunded the difference. This was over a week ago, no refund.

A few days ago I was "Auto top up" another $32.77. I actually called in today to see what was up. The agent told me they would "Redo" the discount on my account. I asked about the amount I already overpaid, they offered to add $15 credit to my account (told me prepaid cannot be refunded). I told them the credit is useless since I have to maintain auto-pay to get a discount, they told me I have to turn it off to use the balance or buy add-ons. So essentially I was over charged and can't get a refund. The agent changed their tune and said if I turn off auto pay that I will get the discount anyway, (few minutes prior they said I would lose it). They seemed in a real hurry to get me off the phone. I hung up and called back. Got another agent that also couldn't do anything and wanted to rush me off the phone.

Since it's a new line and I'm probably just going to do a chargeback with my credit card company and abandon it. Freedom mobile "service" is awful and their sign up process is awful. Don't use them. If they overcharge you, they won't refund you. It's a small amount of money but it's a pain in the ass.

TLDR: they charged me about $60 for less than 30 days of service for their $19 plan. Won't refund me the overcharged amount, only give as crappy credit that is useless. Agents don't care, will lie to get you to hang up.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1063 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
followed
More do more worng,
less do less wong,
no do no wrog.
Apr 7, 2007
670 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
I had a similar issue related to prepaid billing with Freedom. Made one call, wasn’t resolved. Straight to the CCTS. Don’t waste your time dealing with Freedom. The CCTS complaint resolved it.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1240 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
In every freedom mobile deals thread, there are always people complaining about their customer service. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4512 posts
2782 upvotes
Gotham
This thread can probably apply to every single mobile carrier on Earth.

However, I've had only good experiences with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.