Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Bonus 10GB, existing lines and new activations

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 3:40 am
May 15, 2015
16 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I'm with the grandfathered plan, freedom 35 (5gb) and previously I had 2gb add-on (2 years ago) and could not provide 10gb, but they added a loyalty 5gb

$35, 12gb.

not bad I'll take it, wait around for black Friday deals and maybe try changing to koodo for better reception when I start taking trips away from Ontario lol
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1508 posts
196 upvotes
FYI about digital discount on multiple lines on the same account.

Previously you could only get 1 digital discount per account (that’s what I was told). However I was able to get it today on all 3 lines via WhatsApp chat. Maybe they changed their policy so try it if you have multiple lines.

2 of my lines are on promo everywhere $50 8 gb, and 1 on smartphone 6 gb $40. So it’s eligible on grandfathered plans.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4117 posts
808 upvotes
Scarborough
whats the speed like for freedom mobile?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1077 posts
491 upvotes
grca73 wrote: I don't. I was a happy camper for a while even after they took off my DD few years back saying everywhere 60 is not qualifying, on 3 out of 5 of my lines.... Then they removed multi-line discount for everyone 'in order to serve us better'. Now... It's open season.
Freedom has been complacent since early spring, not reacting till now to multiple campaign's by incumbents to undermine them. They've spent whole last year edging toward big boys in prices, actively making grandfathered plans second class citizens, without significantly improving service.
Only this month I started seeing marked improvement in speed and coverage throughout GTA, with introduction of band 66-7 CA.
I am sure churn was starting to show, and people rather than being forced off grandfathered plan and jumping toward their more expensive plans that give you less (Or have everything same but take f&f away. Or give you more but cost 5 bucks less than comparable incumbent plan), people chose to jump ship and pay same or just a smidge more (taking advantage of the various campaigns) for better networks.
That's when "the gloves came off..."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
blaznazn22 wrote: whats the speed like for freedom mobile?
Depends on your location, device, distance from tower, site congestion, band, CA, ..

Edmonton, downtown west 8/25
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4117 posts
808 upvotes
Scarborough
pjw918 wrote: Depends on your location, device, distance from tower, site congestion, band, CA, ..

Edmonton, downtown west 8/25
Thats great. Not as good as what im getting on koodo, but high speeds are useless when there's a bandwidth cap
Oct 19, 2003
220 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
Tried to get DD added to my 2 x PE50 plans via WhatsApp - CSR said my plans weren't eligible since they were grandfathered -- however, immediately offered $5 discount for each line for 4 months. which I accepted. Will be trying again in a few months.

Have been on Wind/FM since 2011. Was previously a happy customer (advocated for friends to sign up, etc.) but agree with others, have no loyalty - but am on a great plan, now with extra 10 gb and with F&F discount - which I can't see anyone beating for a while.

They axed the BTS promo that was saving me $2.50/line earlier this year (got slighter higher BTS discount on 2 lines because I had an older account). When Shaw took over, I had an old cheap grandfathered plan and they were intentionally vague if old plans would get LTE speeds to try to get people off old plans (only reason I changed plans was to get F&F to work, which was actually cheaper than what I was paying). They initially said F&F discount was 'for life' -- now, it's only grandfathered as long as you don't change plan (basically meaning I would never consider ever switching plans). Also, just hate the inconsistency of how they apply the bonus data. Got the 10gb added this time on my 1st try (got lucky) - but was repeatedly denied the 5gb bonus last year and I gave up - hate playing the whole 'retentions' game.

Do appreciate that FM is seriously challenging plan prices now and I'm on a killer plan (for now). But given their track record and how Shaw operates (constantly raising internet/cable prices), I won't be surprised if they try to kill more grandfathered plans/perks. Would jump ship as soon as someone else offers a better plan and have no qualms with 'gaming' them to save money in the meantime. In my eyes, they started it.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12639 posts
3424 upvotes
Scarberia
5$ digital discount confirm still works on promo 50 plans, just got it today..keep trying lol! i think i went 1/4! didn't get greedy and tried the multiple stacking of 10gbs tho
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1066 posts
411 upvotes
GTA, ON
I tried about 6-7 times to get the 10 GB bonus data, and was declined each time.

The last time, an agent said that they are aware that this has been posted in reddit, RFD and mobilesyrup and some people have demanded that they get the deal as well.

Oh well- so much for "the first rule of RFD"

I am a bit disappointed in not getting the bonus data, but am pretty happy with Freedom overall. I am on Promo Everywhere 50 with 35% FNF discount, and I wont get the bang for buck anywhere else.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1418 posts
550 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Getting rid of "better together savings" caused my bill to go up $20. That still pisses me off. They should have just grandfathered it...

Like I said if they ever get rid of or increase the price of PE50 then I'm out the door ASAP.

I have no loyalty to any company.
100% agreed. BTS was huge. I got annoyed recently too when they brought it back on newer plans.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12639 posts
3424 upvotes
Scarberia
wolfpack27616 wrote: I tried about 6-7 times to get the 10 GB bonus data, and was declined each time.

The last time, an agent said that they are aware that this has been posted in reddit, RFD and mobilesyrup and some people have demanded that they get the deal as well.

I am a bit disappointed in not getting the bonus data, but am pretty happy with Freedom overall. I am on Promo Everywhere 50 with 35% FNF discount, and I wont get the bang for buck anywhere else.
luck is not on ur side lol..keep trying u will get it eventually! did u try all three, phone in, FM web chat, whatsapp?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 29, 2007
241 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
wolfpack27616 wrote: I tried about 6-7 times to get the 10 GB bonus data, and was declined each time.

I've had the same results and a bit tired of trying. The last agent I spoke with also said they've put a note on my account to indicate that the bonus is available on $35+ or HUP, so thinking my chances aren't good. Thinking I will switch from my $29 plan to the $35 1gb + 10gb bonus. Sucks to pay more, but it does have some extra features that my current plan doesn't have, so the extra $6 is still worth it.
Aug 17, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
pitabread wrote: 100% agreed. BTS was huge. I got annoyed recently too when they brought it back on newer plans.
My BTS cost me $25 per month spike. That is after reading for years how freedom is a different kind of company. One that doesn't try to pull off the crap that incumbents do.
Problem is I still read those kind of posts and sentiments every now and then.

Smoke and mirrors.
Jul 29, 2007
241 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
So I tried to get the bonus data and the first agent I spoke with gave me the wrong info, changed my plan to something that wasn't even eligible and then I had to get it reverted back. Just got my latest bill and they charged me $25 rate change fee on each of my three lines and also charged me around $10/line for voicemail which I never asked for. Extra charges of over $100 in total.
Last edited by goo421 on Oct 25th, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More details
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4177 posts
1623 upvotes
Parry Sound
goo421 wrote: So I tried to get the bonus data and the first agent I spoke with gave me the wrong info, changed my plan to something that wasn't even eligible and then I had to get it reverted back. Just got my latest bill and they charged me $25 rate change fee on each of my three lines and also charged me around $10/line for voicemail which I never asked for. Extra charges of over $100 in total.
Can you show this part of your bill?

AFAIK, they only charge a $30 activation fee for new lines but no charge for changing plans.

If they do charge for changing plans then Freedom is about to get a LOT of angry phone calls within the next month as many have changed their plans to get this deal.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.