• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 5:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

Freedom Mobile Contract Fraud?

Hi everyone,

I didn't know what else to do, so I thought I'd try asking online for a solution. I have recently signed my girlfriend up for freedom because they had 55 dollars for 15 g plan AND free iPhone XR for 2 years. The deal was for the weekend only, but we went in on Monday after the deal. We were told in-store that a rep may be able to help us. We had talked to one earlier, but they said they could not help us with this deal as the code had expired. We called again and spoke with a rep called Rahim, at first he said he was also unable to give us the deal. I pestered him a bit then he finally relented and gave us the deal (the one from above). We were super happy, and I checked 3 separate times over the phone by verbally confirming our deal (55 dollars, 15gs and the phone for 2 years) and he said yes.

Fast forward a month later, we are getting billed for the full amount. We call in and talk to a rep, they cannot help us. We spoke to the supervisor (best they could do was give us 10 dollars off for 1 year). So we ask for a higher up, they promise to return the call within a week. 2 weeks later we call, since we’ve received no communication from freedom, and retell our entire story again…with the same result, another week later and still no calls. We feel like we were misled and wanted some justice. Anyone have any advice? We were thinking about speaking with the police since we feel like we were defrauded by freedom.

TL:DR Got lied to over the phone by the reps, signed up. Now getting charged 75 per month and locked into a contract. Any advice? Thinking of calling RCMP.
11 replies
Sep 30, 2015
262 posts
68 upvotes
York, ON
You can also complain to CRTC.
What is the penalty for early termination of contract?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16085 posts
4582 upvotes
Markham
krist8 wrote: You can also complain to CRTC.
What is the penalty for early termination of contract?
That is CCTS
https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
blast them on social media and force them to fix it
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1974 posts
798 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
What do you have in writing? If you have a written contract that takes priority over anything said verbally.

A verbal amendment to a written contract if it is followed up in writing. Otherwise, you are past the 15 day return window, Freedom Mobile can jerk you around and you have an uphill battle. Likely you’ll either need to convince Freedom Mobile to do the right thing, or you’ll need to prove fraud.

It would of course be fraud to verbally promise something they did not intend to honour to keep you returning in the time frame.

Chances are the calls are recorded, so it is not a hopeless battle. But it is an uphill battle.
Nov 2, 2018
35 posts
25 upvotes
Also, did you only receive one bill since then? I think the first bill will be @ the $75 + tax rate while they confirm you were a Rogers/Fido customer. Remember--it was ONLY FOR ROGERS AND FIDO CUSTOMERS. If you were Bell or Telus, you won't get the deal. Then the promo will begin in your second month. And will start then. Make sense? Keep doing what you're doing, but also maybe wait until your second bill. Pester them enough times and you'll get what you want. Case in point: the free 5GB that they were giving out. My wife called over and over again until they said Ok fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1827 posts
1014 upvotes
Durham
Assuming this was not an instore pick up. When they mailed the phone, along with the contract, did you not review the contract when you received it? You would have had ample time to review, and if there were issues you could have returned at that time if no resolution was found.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5031 posts
4106 upvotes
facebook259 wrote: What do you have in writing? If you have a written contract that takes priority over anything said verbally.

A verbal amendment to a written contract if it is followed up in writing. Otherwise, you are past the 15 day return window, Freedom Mobile can jerk you around and you have an uphill battle. Likely you’ll either need to convince Freedom Mobile to do the right thing, or you’ll need to prove fraud.

It would of course be fraud to verbally promise something they did not intend to honour to keep you returning in the time frame.

Chances are the calls are recorded, so it is not a hopeless battle. But it is an uphill battle.
MattF90654 wrote: Also, did you only receive one bill since then? I think the first bill will be @ the $75 + tax rate while they confirm you were a Rogers/Fido customer. Remember--it was ONLY FOR ROGERS AND FIDO CUSTOMERS. If you were Bell or Telus, you won't get the deal. Then the promo will begin in your second month. And will start then. Make sense? Keep doing what you're doing, but also maybe wait until your second bill. Pester them enough times and you'll get what you want. Case in point: the free 5GB that they were giving out. My wife called over and over again until they said Ok fine.
Kkhan15 wrote: Assuming this was not an instore pick up. When they mailed the phone, along with the contract, did you not review the contract when you received it? You would have had ample time to review, and if there were issues you could have returned at that time if no resolution was found.
Except Freedom was being sneaky

They explicitly said the discount won't be shown on the contract but will "for sure" show up within 14 days

Nov 2, 2018
35 posts
25 upvotes
When was your first bill? The date? You have to keep the same phone number for 30 days before having the discount applied. It says that on the sheet you posted. Again, wait until the second bill. Usually that's when it gets applied. My co-worker's Rogers/Fido deal didn't kick in until then.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5031 posts
4106 upvotes
MattF90654 wrote: When was your first bill? The date? You have to keep the same phone number for 30 days before having the discount applied. It says that on the sheet you posted. Again, wait until the second bill. Usually that's when it gets applied. My co-worker's Rogers/Fido deal didn't kick in until then.
But the terms and condition say 14 days for credit to be posted ?

Others who ported in under same offer got their discount on the first bill as well as per the terms and conditions.
Nov 2, 2018
35 posts
25 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: But the terms and condition say 14 days for credit to be posted ?
14 days AFTER eligibility is met. You've completed the 30 days (Aug 23-Sept 22), so 14 days after that (October 6). Your first bill would have occurred BEFORE October 6, which is why it's not shown on there.

I promise, just wait until your second bill--which judging by your August 23rd date, should be very soon. Discounts are NOT shown anywhere but your bill. So if you log into your account, it will say $75 rate plan. But the $20 comes off at billing. Customer Service will not see the discount until billing occurs. If you get your second bill and it still $75+tax, that's when you should go to a corporate store with the paperwork and ask what's up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5031 posts
4106 upvotes
MattF90654 wrote: 14 days AFTER eligibility is met. You've completed the 30 days (Aug 23-Sept 22), so 14 days after that (October 6). Your first bill would have occurred BEFORE October 6, which is why it's not shown on there.

I promise, just wait until your second bill--which judging by your August 23rd date, should be very soon. Discounts are NOT shown anywhere but your bill. So if you log into your account, it will say $75 rate plan. But the $20 comes off at billing. Customer Service will not see the discount until billing occurs. If you get your second bill and it still $75+tax, that's when you should go to a corporate store with the paperwork and ask what's up.
It says 14 days from activation right in the document ?

Do you work for freedom to be able to say so with so much confidence it will show despite it showing for others on their first bill within 14 days?