Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile destined to become the next Public Mobile

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 6:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
5656 posts
2240 upvotes
redflagdeals.com

Freedom Mobile destined to become the next Public Mobile

Edit: Shaw/Freedom is offering to buy out 6500 employees, with 650 expected to take the offer. The company says they are shifting focus to a self-service model. Shaw currently employs 14,000 people.
“Customers want their services from Shaw to be just like everything else in their life – delivered quickly, reliably, and on their terms,” Shaw Communications president Jay Mehr said in a release.

“We know our future success will require us to become a leaner, more integrated, and more agile workforce, which will result in many internal changes taking place as we move towards becoming a digital-by-default organization.”
The goal is to refocus the company’s efforts to a more self-serve model geared towards customers navigating Shaw’s services through web and mobile apps.
Source:
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/30/shaw ... -affected/

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryherald ... op-650/amp
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Jan 30th, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
18 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4020 posts
2284 upvotes
Gotham
This is a good thing. If they can reduce their operating costs, then they can offer better pricing without impacting service levels.
The memo said for the time being, buyouts aren’t being offered to those in customer care, retail and sales in order not to impact the company’s day-to-day business...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32390 posts
6254 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
batcave wrote: This is a good thing. If they can reduce their operating costs, then they can offer better pricing without impacting service levels.
They already have the best price and it won't impact the service level because the service is so bad, it can only improve with more investment in infrastructure. What they need to do is figure a way to ROAM on the Rogers network
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19439 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it is the staff that contribute to horrible service with Freedom. It is the lousy network. That said, I really don't understand why for wireless services people are so addicted to using bricks and mortar stores when the trend is to shop online for everything. How hard is it to stick a SIM card into a phone. Our cell bill goes to funding all those mall kiosks. It is a total travesty.
Jr. Member
Nov 16, 2014
182 posts
75 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
The info posted by OP is incorrect. They expect 650 employees will accept the buyout. That is less than 5%.

"In a statement, Shaw said about 6,500 employees have been offered the package – including workers at Freedom Mobile which the company bought in 2016. About 10 per cent are expected to accept the offer. Shaw had approximately 14,000 employees as of the end of August."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4020 posts
2284 upvotes
Gotham
Gee wrote: They already have the best price and it won't impact the service level because the service is so bad, it can only improve with more investment in infrastructure.
Their network is limited and that reflects on price. They are the smallest operator and they need to reduce administrative cost to invest in infrastructure.
Gee wrote: What they need to do is figure a way to ROAM on the Rogers network
LOL!!! do you think one of their competitors would allow this?

What I would like to see happen is for Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile to buy FM or partner up and shake up the Canadian Wireless industry.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32390 posts
6254 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
batcave wrote: LOL!!! do you think one of their competitors would allow this?
I can see it happening. Rogers and Shaw have a long history together.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4020 posts
2284 upvotes
Gotham
Gee wrote: I can see it happening. Rogers and Shaw have a long history together.
This sort of partnership would erode Rogers' marketshare and profit. I don't see any synergy if I were Rogers.

Not win-win.

The CRTC needs to step in for Canadians to allow MVNOs to resell high speed data. Similar to the deregulation of the long distance market in the 1980s.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32390 posts
6254 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
batcave wrote: The CRTC needs to step in for Canadians to allow MVNOs to resell high speed data. Similar to the deregulation of the long distance market in the 1980s.
The CRTC doesn't have the kahunas to do that.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3592 posts
1770 upvotes
batcave wrote: This sort of partnership would erode Rogers' marketshare and profit. I don't see any synergy if I were Rogers.

Not win-win.

The CRTC needs to step in for Canadians to allow MVNOs to resell high speed data. Similar to the deregulation of the long distance market in the 1980s.
Rogers has corporate accounts. That's where the money is. They won't mind losing some customers to Shaw. The trade off would probably be the same to there bottom-line. They would also have Fido to compete against Shaw's downgraded service.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1045 posts
1097 upvotes
will888 wrote: That said, I really don't understand why for wireless services people are so addicted to using bricks and mortar stores when the trend is to shop online for everything. How hard is it to stick a SIM card into a phone. Our cell bill goes to funding all those mall kiosks. It is a total travesty.
For a consumer product and service, savvy customers like you are less than 5% of all the wireless customers combined. The general public are dumb as shit, they don't know how to navigate phones, they think Samsung and Apple are the only phone companies in existence, don't know how to read bills, dual SIM phones are completely foreign to them, they don't know how to use SIM cards, for a typical iphone user who doesn't break their phone and rarely leave the country.... the only time they take out their SIM card is at cell phone store when they upgrade their phone.... and the store rep takes it out for them.

There's a market for people who charge $60 an hour helping tech-illiterate folks on how to setup something as simple as wifi and hook up their new TV, people are ignorant either through sheer laziness, stupidity, or both.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
"There's a market for people who charge $60 an hour helping tech-illiterate folks on how to setup something as simple as wifi and hook up their new TV, people are ignorant either through sheer laziness, stupidity, or both."

I've been trying to find people like this, but all I find are redflagdeals types that want the work done basically for free.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32390 posts
6254 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Poutsounia wrote: I've been trying to find people like this, but all I find are redflagdeals types that want the work done basically for free.
Sounds like you found these people. Problem is, you found the cheap entitled ones.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1004 posts
787 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
isgaard wrote: people are ignorant either through sheer laziness, stupidity, or both.
This is an incredibly arrogant attitude to have, and I don't know why you would want to presume that. I know many people who are very bright but who find certain aspects of technology to be confusing. It's not "laziness" or "stupidity" - people are just wired differently.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)