Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile - Download app and get a credit + 1 month free????? Android only - potential scam

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2021 9:32 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13302 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto

Freedom Mobile - Download app and get a credit + 1 month free????? Android only - potential scam

I got a text from Freedom (or is it?) since it even has my name on the text, it seems legit. I haven’t tried since I’m on iOS. Apparently its for Android only. I couldn’t find anything online about this.

Download the app and get a credit and 1 month free. Doesn’t specify the credit though.

When i used another phone to text Y to the number, the link was direct to an apk called Freedom.apk

Anyone wanna try this on a burner phone? Curious to know what the deal is with the Freedom.apk. Phishing app?
Images
  • 943CE35F-7664-485E-9CD4-0DEA51A13018.jpeg
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2455 posts
1441 upvotes
Calgary
Scam scam scam!

If it redirects you to anything other than the Play Store for the official Freedom Mobile - My Account app, there is absolutely no way it would be legit. Also, there is an iOS app already. No carrier or legitimate company would offer something like this from a non-Google Play link.

Likely the ad is a Phishing scam but who knows what other malware it might have as well.

If your number starts with the area code + first three digits this text came from then it's also a good indicator it's spam. Also, even replying to the message can be bad as it lets the scammers know it's an active line.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)