Freedom Mobile

[Ends Oct 5] Nationwide Unlimited Talk & Text - $99/year prepaid

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 4:37 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1266 posts
1182 upvotes
Has anyone experienced the handoff between Freedom tower to a Roger/Telus/Bell tower? I find that even though the big 3 allow hand off between each other's networks the process isn't seamless. You can find yourself in a weak signal area but find that the phone can't jump onto another provider's tower.
Jul 12, 2018
126 posts
236 upvotes
Etobicoke
Had my old man on the pay as you go where he paid 15 cents a minute and you could load $40 and it would last 6 months, after 6 months if you didn't load more money the current money would expire. He didn't use alot of it so we had over $120 loaded and I switched it to the $99 plan. They took the $120 and applied it to the plan.
Thanks op
AP
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7851 posts
8009 upvotes
sparkaction wrote: Has anyone experienced the handoff between Freedom tower to a Roger/Telus/Bell tower? I find that even though the big 3 allow hand off between each other's networks the process isn't seamless. You can find yourself in a weak signal area but find that the phone can't jump onto another provider's tower.
Is that actually supported? I don't think you can hand off to a 'national coverage' carrier while a call is active. You have to drop the call, connect to the new network, and call back.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3582 posts
1843 upvotes
Thrasher wrote: I am getting LTE speeds, but at home I have weak signal. This is the test I did, so the results are not stellar. It does say LTE next to the signal bars.
Have you switched your SIM card lately. I believe last year (?) Freedom sent me a text to come and switch my SIM card to a new LTE-enabled SIM for free. That might be your issue, that you have an old SIM card.
Ok yeah I haven't switched the SIM card so that might be it. I just did a speedtest with my 3G on both the Google site and speedtest app. Google site had me at 13.5 Mbps and speedtest app had 12 Mbps. I'm surprised mine is that fast.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1615 posts
2896 upvotes
This is a wicked plan, one that I'd jump on in a heartbeat. Sadly, I don't have Freedom Mobile here in Winnipeg. Thanks Shaw. Hey, Public Mobile, dare to match?

This is probably the best non data plan I've ever seen. Finally, Canada is starting to move in the right direction.

Thanks OP.
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
crystallight wrote: Ok yeah I haven't switched the SIM card so that might be it. I just did a speedtest with my 3G on both the Google site and speedtest app. Google site had me at 13.5 Mbps and speedtest app had 12 Mbps. I'm surprised mine is that fast.
Those are pretty fast speeds for non-LTE!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7851 posts
8009 upvotes
crystallight wrote: Ok yeah I haven't switched the SIM card so that might be it. I just did a speedtest with my 3G on both the Google site and speedtest app. Google site had me at 13.5 Mbps and speedtest app had 12 Mbps. I'm surprised mine is that fast.
3G can easily hit 30-40Mbps, it's a fallacy that '3G' is only 3Mbps.

That said, 3G on FM only uses one band (B4, which is shared with LTE) and therefore has much less bandwidth then LTE, so real world performance suffers.

I find on FM 3G performance in big urban areas is abysmal, bordering on useless. In the burbs it can do well, and on the fringes of the burbs it can fly.

I get around 20Mbps regularly on 3G on FM where I live. Where I work? Useless.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14383 posts
4370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I got the text for the bonus 2GB, but I don't see it on my online account. Is it supposed to show somewhere?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1266 posts
1182 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: This is a wicked plan, one that I'd jump on in a heartbeat. Sadly, I don't have Freedom Mobile here in Winnipeg. Thanks Shaw. Hey, Public Mobile, dare to match?

This is probably the best non data plan I've ever seen. Finally, Canada is starting to move in the right direction.

Thanks OP.
Can’t you use the networks of their nationwide partners (Rogers/Telus)?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
513 upvotes
dnyc wrote: I will check. Thanks
I think it took me about a year to get VoLTE working. They give you lots of run-around. Even Level 2 tech support. For some reason they can't "see" everything. I had to keep calling in because support tix would just be considered "completed" after 5-7 days. Got a bunch of credits along the way that ended up being same price as my device, lol. Don't give up
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1175 posts
813 upvotes
Canada
dnyc wrote: I read somewhere you can do it once a
Month for free.
I believe you can, right now you can get it done free on the website (on desktop only - not mobile).

But I heard eSIM has a limit of 1 per 30 days....meaning you cannot generate a new one before 30 days pass.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1615 posts
2896 upvotes
sparkaction wrote: Can’t you use the networks of their nationwide partners (Rogers/Telus)?
Probably yes. But according to their rules, you have to live in their Freedom Mobile area. Plus, if you're in one city for too long, they reserve the right to cancel your account.
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
Troubleshooting VoLTE
imnovayu wrote: You may need to contact freedom to ask them to activate it on their end as well. I opened two new lines with them this year and for both lines I have to contact them to get VoLTE enabled afterwards.
VoLTE (on a compatible device) can take 2 or 3 days to activate on the line. If there is an issue, you need to call in.

Your VoLTE-capable Freedom compatible device needs to have VoLTE enabled in the call settings.
If within 3 days your phone doesn't stay on LTE during a call, dial 611, #2 (tech support).

1. Ask the agent if VoLTE is enabled (provisioned) on the line.
- if not they can enable; reboot, try a call
- if you have to call back after they've manually enabled it, ask them to check if it's still enabled (it can fall back to disabled)
2. If enabled on the line, ask the agent if VoLTE is actually active.
- it may not be, this is not uncommon, and typically not checked by the agent unless asked
3. If it's enabled on the line but doesn't show active on the switch, ask the agent to open a ticket.
- it will take up to 3 days or so to get it resolved

Device Compatibility Matrix
Freedom's enhanced services on BYOD devices

VoLTE is required on Freedom for access to extended-range LTE B13.
Voice quality on VoLTE is noticeably better. Call performance on 3G suffers when bandwidth is congested or signal poor.

-
Last edited by pjw918 on Jan 26th, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
513 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: VoLTE (on a compatible device) can take 3 days or so to activate. If there is an issue, you need to call in.

- your VoLTE-capable Freedom compatible device needs to have VoLTE enabled in the call settings
- if within 3 days your phone doesn't stay on LTE during a call, dial 611, #2 (tech support)

- ask the agent if VoLTE is enabled on the line (if not they can enable; reboot; try a call)
- (if you have to call back after they've manually enabled it, ask them to check if it's still enabled, it can fall back to disabled)
- if enabled on the line, ask the agent if VoLTE is actually active
- (it may not be, this is not uncommon, and typically not checked by the agent unless asked)
- if it's enabled on the line but doesn't show active on the switch, ask the agent to open a ticket
- it will take up to 3 days or so to get it resolved

Device Compatibility Matrix
Freedom's enhanced services on BYOD devices

Voice quality on VoLTE is noticeably better. 3G call performance suffers when bandwidth's congested / signal poor.
^^ All TRUE folks. In my experience their immediate response seem to be geared to getting rid of you. Every time you call in they want you to reset your network settings. And then they'll tell you to manually select your cell network. And then...
Keep being gently persistent in getting to that final service ticket. Note down the ticket number and be ready to call back and immediately refer to the ticket or they'll get you to reset network settings....
It's definitely worth the effort to get VoLTE as @pjw918 described.
Now the weird thing is (since I'm no Telecom or IT guy) that two other lines on same devices (iP8 and iPXR) were setup and working with VoLTE.
Apr 27, 2011
474 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
gameon12 wrote: ^^ All TRUE folks. In my experience their immediate response seem to be geared to getting rid of you. Every time you call in they want you to reset your network settings. And then they'll tell you to manually select your cell network. And then...
Keep being gently persistent in getting to that final service ticket. Note down the ticket number and be ready to call back and immediately refer to the ticket or they'll get you to reset network settings....
It's definitely worth the effort to get VoLTE as @pjw918 described.
Now the weird thing is (since I'm no Telecom or IT guy) that two other lines on same devices (iP8 and iPXR) were setup and working with VoLTE.
I had better luck with their CSRs on facebook messenger. They created ticket for me within one hour after i sent them message about VoLTE. And the issue resolved the next day. One time, the CSR even did follow-up the next day.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
would never go back to freedom. i was with them for 6 years... their signal in vancouver never improved. inside my home no signal, in the skytrain no signal, inside work no signal, concrete buildings no signal... been with public mobile since january, i always have signal.
Nov 21, 2018
41 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
Can I port a prepaid number from Lucky to this $99 Freedom plan? I hate getting some random new number, my current number is easy to remember. If so, is there any charge for porting? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
Pogi59 wrote: Can I port a prepaid number from Lucky to this $99 Freedom plan? I hate getting some random new number, my current number is easy to remember. If so, is there any charge for porting? Thanks!
No charge for porting
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3582 posts
1843 upvotes
Rogido wrote: I got the text for the bonus 2GB, but I don't see it on my online account. Is it supposed to show somewhere?
Do you have the Pay Your Way plan? I got the same 2GB text but don't see it anywhere on my account. I do have the 5GB that's been talked about in this thread though and it shows up in my account. I'd like to know how long that's been there just for curiosity sake. Hoping the 5GB monthly limit stays forever. Now that I have, I don't want to give it up!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2825 posts
2082 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: This is a wicked plan, one that I'd jump on in a heartbeat. Sadly, I don't have Freedom Mobile here in Winnipeg. Thanks Shaw. Hey, Public Mobile, dare to match?

Thanks OP.
If Public Mobile would match, I’d be all over it and swap one line over to it and activate another.

Worried about Freedom’s coverage and that new line would be for an elderly, who I would prefer to have access to a phone (but they keep refusing to let me, citing costs, but I’ll pay!) in case anything happens.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)