Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] [Ends Oct 5] Nationwide Unlimited Talk & Text - $99/year prepaid

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 11:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1625 upvotes
Alberta
meetoo wrote: ARG. I tried exactly this on the webchat (today around noon) but was denied a free SIM card.
(Told them i wanted to test out the service where I lived)
Wondering if i'll have better luck going to a store.
There are no free SIM cards 'for testing'.
Feb 16, 2014
711 posts
144 upvotes
London
pjw918 wrote: MMS uses data but does not require data on the plan (Freedom talk & text).
Let me get this staright. On my Tbaytel,the MMS uses data to be sent.You mean in this plan that has no data plan on,the MMS can be sent and received?
Dec 15, 2019
30 posts
41 upvotes
Lol. they want to make me pay for the SIM + plan either way.
There's no "testing" without buying a plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1625 upvotes
Alberta
repatch wrote: Remember: post-paid, despite the name, is pay-before. The bill you are paying is for the NEXT month of service, NOT the month that's ending.
Actually, the bill you are paying is for the current month of service. The bill is generated after the bill cycle commences, and is due sometime before it ends.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3578 posts
1848 upvotes
Halifax
esfandiyar2002 wrote: Let me get this staright. On my Tbaytel,the MMS uses data to be sent.You mean in this plan that has no data plan on,the MMS can be sent and received?
You need data enabled on your phone, otherwise MMS will not work. However, the data used by MMS does not get billed. So you do not need a data plan for MMS.
Mar 31, 2008
618 posts
276 upvotes
Edmonton
bridonca wrote: You need data enabled on your phone, otherwise MMS will not work. However, the data used by MMS does not get billed. So you do not need a data plan for MMS.
Thanks for the info. My son was trying to send a picture text while in the Freedom zone and it would not work. I'm pretty sure we disabled data in his iphone when he was with Speakout. Does it work the same when you are in the Nationwide zone?
Last edited by tsgee on Aug 24th, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1625 upvotes
Alberta
apvm wrote: My wife was with their unlimited talk and text prepaid plan last year, most of her incoming calls will go to voice mail unless she turn off her Samsung A8 LTE function.
pjw918 wrote: Her A8 was originally from which provider? Koodo?
apvm wrote: Yes, A8 from Koodo... Nonetheless, disabling LTE is not a big problem with this plan since it does not come with any data.
Not having LTE during a call will be a problem on this talk & text plan. Without VoLTE, you have no access to extended range LTE B13, the device will attempt to use the often congested, shorter-range 3G B4, failed inbound calls and poor call quality will result, especially in weak-signal / fringe coverage locations.
To have VoLTE & B13 (and WiFi Calling) on your Koodo-sourced Samsung A8, you need to change the device CSC to Freedom's.
shaw-shaw-mobile-45-25gb-ab-bc-shaw-int ... #p32974456

Device Compatibility Matrix
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3578 posts
1848 upvotes
Halifax
tsgee wrote: Thanks for the info. My son was trying to send a picture text while in the Freedom zone and it would not work. I'm pretty sure we disabled data in his iphone when he was with Speakout. Does it work the same when you are in the Nationwide zone?
Works the same with nationalwide
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8825 posts
1892 upvotes
London
pjw918 wrote: Not having LTE during a call will be a problem on this talk & text plan. Without VoLTE, you have no access to extended range LTE B13, the device will attempt to use the often congested, shorter-range 3G B4, failed inbound calls and poor call quality will result, especially in weak-signal / fringe coverage locations.
To have VoLTE & B13 (and WiFi Calling) on your Koodo-sourced Samsung A8, you need to change the device CSC to Freedom's.
shaw-shaw-mobile-45-25gb-ab-bc-shaw-int ... #p32974456

Device Compatibility Matrix
Thanks for the info, she switched to PM earlier this year and without any problem. Thanks again.
Jun 20, 2020
17 posts
6 upvotes
Has anyone on this plan noticed their data will periodically work even though no data is included? (I have confirmed with a rep that data is not “on”. The data slider on my phone is activated and it shows LTE.

I oddly get whatsapp messages while on the road, and today while at my house I received a whatsapp message (the power was off at my house so no wifi)...
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13041 posts
3526 upvotes
RFD
Hemustbeaboss wrote: Has anyone on this plan noticed their data will periodically work even though no data is included? (I have confirmed with a rep that data is not “on”. The data slider on my phone is activated and it shows LTE.

I oddly get whatsapp messages while on the road, and today while at my house I received a whatsapp message (the power was off at my house so no wifi)...
Some have said it works but it is a hit and miss at times. Must be a glitch.
Jan 13, 2015
33 posts
8 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I think that you can send small amounts of data ( eg a whatsapp text) because of the way Freedom Mobile system works. Sending whatsapp messages will always work eventually if you have Freedom Mobile data turned on, which is nice if you want to contact someone with a short message.
Jul 14, 2019
89 posts
71 upvotes
got my SIM card today, and have Freedom rep activate the SIM, and pay first, then try to use it on my old Samsung S6, the phone restarts, and I got this message saying to Network provider to unlock? Rep said to contact Fido to unlock? Phone was originally from Rogers, I changed to FIDO Dec 2017 (no need to unlock then - should I go to Fido or Rogers to unlock?) the old number with FIDO is not working about 1 hour the SIM card was activated. I guess it has been ported to Freedom. Got a message from FIDO checking if porting out is legit, call them if this is not legit - did not bother to call them.)

Then I put the SIM card in the Moto G6, no message like the Samsung S6, I cannot call out, I try to call the temporary Freedom phone #, it knows there's an incoming call, but hang up automatically.

Been working with the Freedom rep for a few hours, still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions.
May 24, 2017
623 posts
424 upvotes
GTA
WaiL76513 wrote: got my SIM card today, and have Freedom rep activate the SIM, and pay first, then try to use it on my old Samsung S6, the phone restarts, and I got this message saying to Network provider to unlock? Rep said to contact Fido to unlock? Phone was originally from Rogers, I changed to FIDO Dec 2017 (no need to unlock then - should I go to Fido or Rogers to unlock?) the old number with FIDO is not working about 1 hour the SIM card was activated. I guess it has been ported to Freedom. Got a message from FIDO checking if porting out is legit, call them if this is not legit - did not bother to call them.)

Then I put the SIM card in the Moto G6, no message like the Samsung S6, I cannot call out, I try to call the temporary Freedom phone #, it knows there's an incoming call, but hang up automatically.

Been working with the Freedom rep for a few hours, still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions.
For your old Samsung 6, you would need to go back to Rogers, but they are under no obligation to unlock it. At least not for free.

For your new SIM in the Moto 6, leave SIM card in the phone, Power it down. Leave the phone off for 10 minutes. Then turn back on. See if the port is working from there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5555 posts
5200 upvotes
Paulie1RFD wrote: For your old Samsung 6, you would need to go back to Rogers, but they are under no obligation to unlock it. At least not for free. .
Honestly I'd recommend the OP just get an online unlock code than trying to deal with Rogers. Quick search on ebay showed options at $4.

That said: I don't think the S6 is very compatible with FM, I don't know which S6 exactly the OP has, but a quick check of likely candidates shows no support for AWS on UMTS for some versions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)