Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] [Ends Oct 5] Nationwide Unlimited Talk & Text - $99/year prepaid

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 6:39 pm
Nov 7, 2007
649 posts
356 upvotes
Perfect. Thanks doe the advice.
pjw918 wrote: No, leave both on. MMS uses data, but doesn't require it on the plan.
No chance of overage charges on this prepaid, unlimited, nationwide plan.
Don't maintain a credit balance (top-up) unless you need the occasional LD calling.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2928 posts
2952 upvotes
Oakville, ON
This has some sort of data built in to the cost ?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3580 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
gves02 wrote: Can I ask,

I’m buying it for an area that’s not within the freedom home network. I would to call out, talk outside of the network.

Are there charges for this or is it covered ?
Freedom does not want you to be using the Nationalwide network all the time, and does want you to use their network an undefined percentage. Eventually, according to Freedom's TOS, you could lose your Nationalwide privileges if you use it on that network all the time.

I have Freedom in Nova Scotia, closest tower is in Ontario, but it appears I can get around that by using Freedom's wifi calling. My bill says wifi calling in on the Freedom network, and I believe and hope that is true. I would only use the Nationalwide network when I have to, which turns out to be not all that often.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1775 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
Any Nokia 8 users or know if it's fully compatible with Freedom bands for the $99 text and call?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3580 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
azybcxrfd wrote: Any Nokia 8 users or know if it's fully compatible with Freedom bands for the $99 text and call?
No band 13 or 66. It could work in some situations, but overall, this phone should be considered as a hard pass for Freedom Mobile.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5589 posts
5220 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote: Any Nokia 8 users or know if it's fully compatible with Freedom bands for the $99 text and call?
Which Nokia 8?

If it's the original, do NOT use it with FM. It only has B4 and B7 for LTE, which is bad enough, but worse: it has no B4 UMTS/HSPA, meaning you won't be able to make phone calls at all on FMs network (VoLTE is not supported, I know, I've tried).

Go for PM instead, phone works well there.
Last edited by repatch on Sep 6th, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4194 posts
1086 upvotes
Charlottetown
bridonca wrote: Freedom does not want you to be using the Nationalwide network all the time, and does want you to use their network an undefined percentage. Eventually, according to Freedom's TOS, you could lose your Nationalwide privileges if you use it on that network all the time.

I have Freedom in Nova Scotia, closest tower is in Ontario, but it appears I can get around that by using Freedom's wifi calling. My bill says wifi calling in on the Freedom network, and I believe and hope that is true. I would only use the Nationalwide network when I have to, which turns out to be not all that often.
That's what holds me back, i'm in PEI and no Freedom coverage here.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1536 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry I can't read thru 99 pages, but is this better than Koodo prepaid for just talk/text? I thought that was the best deal out there for this type of thing? I'm in Calgary and don't know if Freedom works well here, but I know koodo works great.
Mar 14, 2014
525 posts
648 upvotes
kotoula wrote: Sorry I can't read thru 99 pages, but is this better than Koodo prepaid for just talk/text? I thought that was the best deal out there for this type of thing? I'm in Calgary and don't know if Freedom works well here, but I know koodo works great.
If you only need talk and text, then this is a great plan if the intended usage is primarily in Calgary. The total cost of the plan works out to $8.70/month all fees and taxes included if it's an Alberta signup. Where it may not offer better value than other options will depend on whether or not you will need some data. If that is the case than Public or Lucky Mobile may be better options for you. It's important if you decide to go the Freedom route that you have a compatible phone that will work on their network frequencies, otherwise you'll be back on here complaining about poor reception.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/supp ... --en--2--1

Ideally you will have a phone that is compatible for Extended Range LTE which uses a frequency called band 13, or B13. It also gives you access to VoLTE. Wifi-Calling is also a bonus with this plan.

Below are the two other options that are popular on RFD.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/plans#plans-start

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

Lastly, try to use the Freedom online chat to see it they will send you a free SIM card. It's also possible that once you receive it they will activate it online at no cost.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3580 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
kotoula wrote: Sorry I can't read thru 99 pages, but is this better than Koodo prepaid for just talk/text? I thought that was the best deal out there for this type of thing? I'm in Calgary and don't know if Freedom works well here, but I know koodo works great.
Ditch Koodo, but port over to Public Mobile. Both use the same Telus network. Freedom is cheaper, but their network is not as good, and you have to be more selective on the phone you pick.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
3183 posts
827 upvotes
Parents been on this plan since may this year. No issues so far. Can't beat the price!
Dec 6, 2012
294 posts
136 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
bridonca wrote: Freedom does not want you to be using the Nationalwide network all the time, and does want you to use their network an undefined percentage. Eventually, according to Freedom's TOS, you could lose your Nationalwide privileges if you use it on that network all the time.

I don't think freedom would issue local numbers for areas they don't have their towers. They also won't allow porting a Nova Scotia area code number. You may have to settle for a ON, BC or AB area code number.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3580 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
donbamo wrote: I don't think freedom would issue local numbers for areas they don't have their towers. They also won't allow porting a Nova Scotia area code number. You may have to settle for a ON, BC or AB area code number.
They do not. On both counts. I use Fongo for the local number, and forward to my Freedom Mobile number. Works rather well.
Dec 11, 2016
97 posts
75 upvotes
Does anyone know if this plan would work on an iPhone XS?
Im currently with Petro-Canada Mobility and I recently logged in and got this message:
Thanks in advance.
Images
  • phone 1.png
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3580 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
Botopo wrote: Does anyone know if this plan would work on an iPhone XS?
Im currently with Petro-Canada Mobility and I recently logged in and got this message:
Thanks in advance.
Your iPhone XS will still work with Petro Canada Mobility for years to come. That warning is not correct. Petro Canada's (Roger's) 2G network is getting decommissioned. This is only a problem if your phone is a 2G only device, of which your iPhone XS can use other networks from Rogers like LTE and 3G. So it is not a problem for you.

If you do decide to port over to Freedom Mobile, the iPhone XS is 100% compatible.
Last edited by bridonca on Sep 9th, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)