Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Iphone 12/12 Pro Preorders, $0 Upfront

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 2:18 pm
Jul 20, 2018
382 posts
271 upvotes
Iphone 12 looks to be the best bang for buck this generation.

Still, iphone 11 pro vs iphone 12 pro is virtually identical other than a14 chip and magsafe. 5G won't be useful for at least another 2-3 years minimum, and we still don't know much about proRAW. I'd be looking at picking up the 12 or discounted iphone 11 pro if I was looking at new phones. I would lean more towards the 11 pro tbh
Nov 13, 2016
414 posts
232 upvotes
No headphones or charger, smaller screen and yet more $$. The craze is going to get crazier if people don't vote with their wallets.

5G phone on non-5G network makes no sense at all.

CD
Aug 23, 2014
334 posts
168 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: Iphone 12 looks to be the best bang for buck this generation.

Still, iphone 11 pro vs iphone 12 pro is virtually identical other than a14 chip and magsafe. 5G won't be useful for at least another 2-3 years minimum, and we still don't know much about proRAW. I'd be looking at picking up the 12 or discounted iphone 11 pro if I was looking at new phones. I would lean more towards the 11 pro tbh
For the XR and 11 they were clear winners when they were released. now I think the 12 is not. I think it is not worth to buy the 12. in 2020, and in coming couple of years, 64GB isnt enough for iOS, pictures and apps. The 128GB iphone 12 is for $1200. The iphone 12 pro 128GB is for $1400. the iphone 11 128GB is for $920. If you dont need the 5G, magsafe, and the cameras, then iphone 11 wins, otherwise is iphone 12 pro. The advangages of iphone 12 over iphone 11 are hardly noticeable especially if you put the phone in a case.

Iphone 11 pro is discontinued, so if you get a deal now go for it.

iphone 12 loses in all cases. just my 2 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1237 upvotes
Vancouver
Paigne wrote: If you live in Vancouver, it’s not very likely. Maybe some specific buildings might have issues but unlike wind I really haven’t had any connection issues in Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, or west/North Vancouver (tho relative close to Vancouver). Unlike wind, the connection in Vancouver is actually very solid and you could also use Shaw wifi (included) if you want/run low on data.

Of course the question really is how Shaw 5g will compare to other networks and we really won’t know that for a while.
Is freedom not rebranded wind? Same with Shaw
Autocorrect sucks
Jan 14, 2013
161 posts
67 upvotes
Newmarket
sorrowt wrote: For the XR and 11 they were clear winners when they were released. now I think the 12 is not. I think it is not worth to buy the 12. in 2020, and in coming couple of years, 64GB isnt enough for iOS, pictures and apps. The 128GB iphone 12 is for $1200. The iphone 12 pro 128GB is for $1400. the iphone 11 128GB is for $920. If you dont need the 5G, magsafe, and the cameras, then iphone 11 wins, otherwise is iphone 12 pro. The advangages of iphone 12 over iphone 11 are hardly noticeable especially if you put the phone in a case.

You’re forgetting about the screen in the iPhone 12. OLED vs LCD + double the resolution is the main reason I’m selling my iPhone 11 and going for the 12.
Aug 23, 2014
334 posts
168 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
leishmann wrote: You’re forgetting about the screen in the iPhone 12. OLED vs LCD + double the resolution is the main reason I’m selling my iPhone 11 and going for the 12.
Unless you put the 2 phones side by side and keep staring, you wouldn't notice the difference. Same goes for the A13 vs A14 chip, you wouldn't notice the difference, unless maybe you run benchmarks. Day to day activities should there be no noticeable difference, thats why i think iphone 12 is not worth it. as said if you are ready to pay $1200 for the 12, then pay $200 more and get the 12 pro.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5927 posts
531 upvotes
Kanata
But iphone 12 gets the OLED screen, which used to be the main difference between the pro and non-pro model. I would say, iphone 12 is better buy than iphone 11 pro.
sorrowt wrote: For the XR and 11 they were clear winners when they were released. now I think the 12 is not. I think it is not worth to buy the 12. in 2020, and in coming couple of years, 64GB isnt enough for iOS, pictures and apps. The 128GB iphone 12 is for $1200. The iphone 12 pro 128GB is for $1400. the iphone 11 128GB is for $920. If you dont need the 5G, magsafe, and the cameras, then iphone 11 wins, otherwise is iphone 12 pro. The advangages of iphone 12 over iphone 11 are hardly noticeable especially if you put the phone in a case.

Jan 14, 2013
161 posts
67 upvotes
Newmarket
sorrowt wrote: Unless you put the 2 phones side by side and keep staring, you wouldn't notice the difference. Same goes for the A13 vs A14 chip, you wouldn't notice the difference, unless maybe you run benchmarks. Day to day activities should there be no noticeable difference, thats why i think iphone 12 is not worth it. as said if you are ready to pay $1200 for the 12, then pay $200 more and get the 12 pro.
The difference is super noticeable for me and most people. Watching HDR content is going to be miles better. Don’t get me wrong, the iPhone 11 LCD is one of the best LCD screens in a phone but when I see an OLED iPhone screen I instantly notice the difference. The extra durability is intriguing too but we don’t know if it’s really all that different. Apple says 4x tougher screens but that could be marketing bullshit.
Jan 22, 2009
122 posts
126 upvotes
garcimud wrote: thanks but
IM freedom client since 2012 so no deal for me

but check this out

who can explain this to me????? how is this possible? check the pic below
They are trying to make you think 12 pro is such a good deal.
Obviously, using a newer phone to attract new subscribers is more effective.
Feb 29, 2012
337 posts
102 upvotes
VictoryBoyxx wrote: Good luck :-)

After 2 years you WILL definitely move to another provider
Nope, have used them for years and they provide great value for money.
Mar 11, 2004
679 posts
27 upvotes
I love how Apple is saying that there are tons of chargers floating around that previous iPhone users already have so they're not shipping them. Another excuse by Apple to gouge customers. I have an iPhone 6s with a charging brick but I'm pretty sure its USB brick doesn't have USB-C....
Aug 23, 2014
334 posts
168 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
freddyprinze wrote: I love how Apple is saying that there are tons of chargers floating around that previous iPhone users already have so they're not shipping them. Another excuse by Apple to gouge customers. I have an iPhone 6s with a charging brick but I'm pretty sure its USB brick doesn't have USB-C....
Not only saving the cost. They made the box smaller so that they can fit more units in the shipping containers saving even more.

Btw, not only the iPhone 12’s are shipping without a charger and earphones. Also the iPhone 11’s sold from now on.

The problem is, they got them off the box and made the price even higher. It is kind of a monopoly. Other Android to follow suits for sure. Sad!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3570 posts
2156 upvotes
Vancouver
GangStarr wrote: Is freedom not rebranded wind? Same with Shaw
Except Shaw has actually upgraded the network so while Shaw did take over freedom, it’s not necessary the same anymore. Plus Shaw go is included in most (I think all?) plans, which for those in Vancouver could be a useful benefit.

I can’t speak about Ontario however since that might or might not have improved.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2016
802 posts
969 upvotes
Mississauga
Electric Light Bulb
freddyprinze wrote: I love how Apple is saying that there are tons of chargers floating around that previous iPhone users already have so they're not shipping them. Another excuse by Apple to gouge customers. I have an iPhone 6s with a charging brick but I'm pretty sure its USB brick doesn't have USB-C....
sorrowt wrote:
Btw, not only the iPhone 12’s are shipping without a charger and earphones. Also the iPhone 11’s sold from now on.
EU Regulators partly to blame for this. They were the ones trying to mandate a single charging standard for all devices. Now Apple has stuck it to us saying ... go find your own charger!
It's weird though, opening a new phone and looking for a compatible charger. Plus what happens if we get a bad charger that causes issues on our premium phone?
Freaking Apple.