Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Iphone 12/12 Pro Preorders, $0 Upfront

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 6:33 am
Apr 28, 2019
50 posts
55 upvotes
I've been with Freedom for 5 years. I find it alright. $40 10GB. Dead in some areas around North York but where the service works, it works well for me. Service on the subway also is really nice if you commute.
Just buy it.
Apr 7, 2016
234 posts
165 upvotes
aurasphere wrote: This is such BS. This isn't the same as WIND days anymore. I've had absolutely no problem with Freedom service - This is coming from someone who lives in Brampton and works in Downtown and is occasionally travelling across Ontario for clients.
You just got lucky Four Leaf Clover.. all the best
--------
Jun 11, 2014
100 posts
69 upvotes
Calgary
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: Iphone 12 looks to be the best bang for buck this generation.

Still, iphone 11 pro vs iphone 12 pro is virtually identical other than a14 chip and magsafe. 5G won't be useful for at least another 2-3 years minimum, and we still don't know much about proRAW. I'd be looking at picking up the 12 or discounted iphone 11 pro if I was looking at new phones. I would lean more towards the 11 pro tbh
The 12 Pro's are actually a bit cheaper than the 11 Pro's at launch: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ipho ... full-list/
You also get the LiDAR scanner and can shoot 60 fps HDR video with the 12 Pro's.

I'll wait until Black Friday to see if Freedom has any deals, if not, Apple usually gives gift cards during Black Friday as well, might be able to combine it with an Aeroplan shop bonus like last year.
Nov 12, 2009
530 posts
602 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I stayed with Freedom for 6 years. Service in Calgary and Edmonton was great, roaming in between the cities was useless. In Ottawa service was average, dead in a few areas, normal in others. In GTA it was overall below average. In the end I have reduced my phone usage a lot over the past two years and Zoomer's 5GB $36 plan was cheaper than my Freedom plan so I switched. My 2 cents.
how's the reception in edmonton? any spotty parts of the city? what about at the edge of the city?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4855 posts
3641 upvotes
Edmonton
crow13 wrote: how's the reception in edmonton? any spotty parts of the city? what about at the edge of the city?
Not sure about edges. It was fine downtown to south side, I think the signal starts getting bad around the airport or a little before

..the few times I went to the north side I don't remember it being an issue but I can't say for sure.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Nov 12, 2009
530 posts
602 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: Not sure about edges. It was fine downtown to south side, I think the signal starts getting bad around the airport or a little before

..the few times I went to the north side I don't remember it being an issue but I can't say for sure.
Just switched and so far so good.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12667 posts
3429 upvotes
Scarberia
I'm a fan of both iOS iPhones and Android.. It's just too bad iOS is too locked down and u can't customize it like androids.. I don't care about the cameras on a phone or gaming so I kinda biased on certain phones/options.. The options I want are NoT on iPhones Face With Tears Of Joy..ie...microSD slot... Custom icons and launchers.. Root... Side loading apps etc
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1099 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mikka2017 wrote: I'm a fan of both iOS iPhones and Android.. It's just too bad iOS is too locked down and u can't customize it like androids.. I don't care about the cameras on a phone or gaming so I kinda biased on certain phones/options.. The options I want are NoT on iPhones Face With Tears Of Joy..ie...microSD slot... Custom icons and launchers.. Root... Side loading apps etc

Man, I was into that when I was 18 or so. Then it just died down and I could care less what theme I had on my phone. I just wanted it to work without bugs. Not calling you an 18 year old or anything, no offense meant by my comment. Just it was more hassle than it’s worth.
Last edited by Varian on Oct 26th, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 15, 2019
146 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
iPhone 12 looks pretty good but not enough to upgrade from my 11. Better screen, magsafe, 5G, and HDR video is not overly enticing to spend $1K for.

My wife has a 7 and I was thinking of using this promo to get a 12 and I give her my 11 (hehehe) but the 11 is still great and Freedom has a promo to get the phone free with a $60/mo plan for 20GB I think with 2-year contract. My wife already pays $50/mo for less GB so that "makes" the iPhone 11 essentially $240 to "purchase".
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1676 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
I'm with Rogers month-to-month paying $60 for 15 GB. A friend of mine is with Freedom and is a big fan. I live in East York, used to commute via subway to Bay and College, and otherwise drive to visit family in Etobicoke. Based on my friend's feedback and from what I've read in various forms, it sounds like Freedom reception is much improved especially with newer phones that can access whatever bands; with some difficulties inside big-box stores (where, to be honest, Rogers isn't always stellar either).

Tempting to make the leap but hard to ignore all the other comments of folks saying Freedom service isn't all that great.
Aug 1, 2020
10 posts
4 upvotes
Sephora wrote: I'm with Rogers month-to-month paying $60 for 15 GB. A friend of mine is with Freedom and is a big fan. I live in East York, used to commute via subway to Bay and College, and otherwise drive to visit family in Etobicoke. Based on my friend's feedback and from what I've read in various forms, it sounds like Freedom reception is much improved especially with newer phones that can access whatever bands; with some difficulties inside big-box stores (where, to be honest, Rogers isn't always stellar either).

Tempting to make the leap but hard to ignore all the other comments of folks saying Freedom service isn't all that great.
For freedom mobile, I think the best way is to sign up a prepaid or a BYOD plan initially, test it for signal around you home, work and along your commute. If you are satisfied with the signal you can always do a HUP and get the phone promo. I live about 700m from their tower but I get absolutely worse signal even on my ground floor. I have to either get close to windows or get to upstairs to get usable signal. Always try it out first before committing 2 years with them.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1676 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
EtherPortion wrote: For freedom mobile, I think the best way is to sign up a prepaid or a BYOD plan initially, test it for signal around you home, work and along your commute. If you are satisfied with the signal you can always do a HUP and get the phone promo. I live about 700m from their tower but I get absolutely worse signal even on my ground floor. I have to either get close to windows or get to upstairs to get usable signal. Always try it out first before committing 2 years with them.
Wow, thanks for the comment. It's feedback like that that has me second guess making a switch! Good advice on the prepaid test.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1444 posts
1121 upvotes
St Catharines
Unless you need the Nationwide/extra data or if you don't have $250, the Freedom 2GB (4GB + 10GB) ends up being MUCH cheaper over 2 years:
$90 x 24 = $2,160
$250 + ($66 x 24) = $1,834

The other advantage is your tab is lower, so if you decide in 3 months, a year, whatever, that Freedom is not for you, you have less to pay off (since you already paid some upfront).
Images
  • Screenshot_20201026-150154_Chrome.jpg
  • Screenshot_20201026-151032_Chrome.jpg
  • Screenshot_20201026-150239_Chrome.jpg
  • Screenshot_20201026-151055_Chrome.jpg
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1077 posts
491 upvotes
EtherPortion wrote: For freedom mobile, I think the best way is to sign up a prepaid or a BYOD plan initially, test it for signal around you home, work and along your commute. If you are satisfied with the signal you can always do a HUP and get the phone promo. I live about 700m from their tower but I get absolutely worse signal even on my ground floor. I have to either get close to windows or get to upstairs to get usable signal. Always try it out first before committing 2 years with them.
To get the best out of FM your device needs to be fully supported by FM (have ALL LTE bands - especially 66). Wifi-Calling is awesome in my basement too. IMO you are best to sign up with one of the FM phones and take for a test drive for 2 weeks. That will give you a much better indicator of usability.
Oct 25, 2017
45 posts
12 upvotes
Freedom is awful in certain spots around the GTA. If you're okay with that, Freedom is worth it. If you're looking for 100% reliability, I'd pay more for another carrier.