Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Iphone 12/12 Pro Preorders, $0 Upfront

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 6:33 am
Apr 14, 2016
286 posts
47 upvotes
I am having an issue with my Fido service for over a week now and they keep telling me they are working on in. Apparently, there is an outage (something interfering with signal )in my area. I keep missing calls and I am unable to dial out. Today I spoke with CS and demanded answers as well as compensation and a deal for an upgrade. Brought Freedom Mobile to the table as a bargaining tool. I knew they cannot use FM week signal as an excuse because apparently fido is not any better in my area.
From the FM website, I quoted S10 with a Freedom 2GB plan
(4GB + 10GB Bonus Switch to Freedom) at:
Plan $45.00
Digital Discount -$5.00
Due Monthly $40.00/mo

Phone S10 $15 for 24 months

Total monthly $55 plus tax
OR I could go with S20 Fe 19 Gb plan with the phone at $70 plus tax.
After presenting this to Fido CS they told me that this is a good deal and I should switch if that offer is still available because they don't have anything to offer. I am with Fido since 2000 and went through several retention deals before but was never told to switch to another provider to get a better deal. Is that a new norm?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1342 posts
1318 upvotes
GTA
sorrowt wrote: So, if I go with the pro and cancel right away, I would pay only 45x24=$1080?
Yes. Let us know how much you save.
Feb 29, 2012
365 posts
117 upvotes
yyzaf1 wrote: I am having an issue with my Fido service for over a week now and they keep telling me they are working on in. Apparently, there is an outage (something interfering with signal )in my area. I keep missing calls and I am unable to dial out. Today I spoke with CS and demanded answers as well as compensation and a deal for an upgrade. Brought Freedom Mobile to the table as a bargaining tool. I knew they cannot use FM week signal as an excuse because apparently fido is not any better in my area.
From the FM website, I quoted S10 with a Freedom 2GB plan
(4GB + 10GB Bonus Switch to Freedom) at:
Plan $45.00
Digital Discount -$5.00
Due Monthly $40.00/mo

Phone S10 $15 for 24 months

Total monthly $55 plus tax
OR I could go with S20 Fe 19 Gb plan with the phone at $70 plus tax.
After presenting this to Fido CS they told me that this is a good deal and I should switch if that offer is still available because they don't have anything to offer. I am with Fido since 2000 and went through several retention deals before but was never told to switch to another provider to get a better deal. Is that a new norm?
Yes, this is the new norm with carriers, they don't care about your loyalty and the way to get the best deal is to jump from carrier to carrier.
Sep 28, 2020
61 posts
34 upvotes
Laval
$0 upfront seems nice, but for someone like me who doesn't need a lot of data, getting the phone from Koodo with the $5 credit x 24months ($120 for QC) and a cheap $40 plan would cost less at the end. $2280 vs $2400 before taxes, and over $130 saves in tax too for QC: on the iPhone 12 pro max.
Yes is MUCH less data, but for those who really don't need it, specially on a work from home routine, it just goes to waste anyway.
I will try to wait for Black Friday and see if something better than $120 comes up, though.
Oct 25, 2020
1 posts
I checked with Videotron today for their offers and they offered me the following :
- iPhone 12 : 170$ upfront
- 11 GB Plan per month + 100 Go per year at 100$/month
- 24 months credit of 5$ (apparently an offer they have on their website)
- 24 months credit of (discount only for residents of Ottawa where they don't have their cable services)
- One time credit of 150$ to cover part of the phone

So in summary, this ends up being 20$ for the phone and 85$/month. They told me that if you have multiple lines you can get more discounts.

A friend of mine has their service and told me the coverage is much better than Freedom in Ottawa.

Hope that helps some people :)
Mar 16, 2017
21 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON
Why do you want this deal? Since Freedom mobile 5g network is not available? Useless.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12614 posts
3410 upvotes
Scarberia
Varian wrote:
Man, I was into that when I was 18 or so. Then it just died down and I could care less what theme I had on my phone. I just wanted it to work without bugs. Not calling you an 18 year old or anything, no offense meant by my comment. Just it was more hassle than it’s worth.
Ya back in the jailbreak days Face With Tears Of Joy.. But with phones being so fast now u don't really slow it down any with tweaks.. It still stock fast whatever u do to it...
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 17, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
davidmei wrote: Why do you want this deal? Since Freedom mobile 5g network is not available? Useless.
Simple... 5g is so overrated. Those that have it deployed regularly have same or worse speeds on 5g then on lte with carrier aggregation (tested few phones getting 250mbs on Roger's network on 5g and almost 400mbps on lte with triple band CA lte) . As of right now none of us in Canada have real 5g as the sale of spectrum is only next year.
Same will be with freedom and their 600 band 71 5g deployment (band 71 is essentially lte band in reality) . It will have 5g icon, have much better building penetration and coverage but will be slower than band 66 (just physics) , or especially band 66+band 7 lte+ that they are deploying now (I am sure phones will just get a firmware update that will label them 5g, just like att did last year and they all do in USA this year. Yes even Verizon phones that have mm wave once they drop down to sleep on lte still show 5g). Even midband 5g is really just lte+.
I tried resisting posting, but this thread has 5-6 mentions that pose same question/complaint. Was it all you lol?

Anyways, the question can be rephrased as 'why would anyone want to be with freedom due to lower network status compared big 3. And the simple answer is deals and money/savings. Especially when respondent asks him/herself is it really $50 per month worse (all this varies greatly depending on individual situation and plans/deals), and is it good enough anyways?
For most of us it's a resounding yes.
That said if and when situation changes and they become more complacent and start acting like they are part of big 4..., it was going that way throughout last year, opinions can be revised on the fly.

Have a family friend, who I gave 35% f&f bonus on $65 plan few years back (65-35%-5DD=$37.25. She was paying $90 plus on Roger's for years (at that time Roger's subsidy was worthless cause they were pushing $120 dollar plans) .
Since first day she hated being on Freedom, embarrassed about other people commenting about cheap network to her. Would complain frustrated how her speeds are slow, only to have turned out that she was still hooked on Starbucks wifi, but being 20 - 30 meters away form store (don't know why she would be using Starbucks wifi in the first place). Didn't know about VoLTE and VoWiFi till it was done for her,
Did comparisons side by side with other carriers that show non perceptible difference in day to day situations. Proving that dead zones that happen with one carrier are also sometimes present with others.... And so on.
2 years had passed and I contacted her husband about great promo for telus small business, in order to switch her since she was unhappy. He informed me that she is back with rogers now (paying $105 + tax with iPhone 12. Would have been $73 + tax on Freedom with same phone, less data cause she would have 20gb now).
Apples for apples telus was a better deal and consensus is that bell/telus shared network trumps Rogers one, both in speeds and coverage.
Lol. He looked me with anger/confusion...
'you realize that she will find fault with telus as well? I'm not going through that hell next 2 years'... Of course he was right.
Images
  • Screenshot_20201027-152953_Speedtest.jpg
Last edited by grca73 on Oct 27th, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aug 17, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: Electric Light Bulb

EU Regulators partly to blame for this. They were the ones trying to mandate a single charging standard for all devices. Now Apple has stuck it to us saying ... go find your own charger!
It's weird though, opening a new phone and looking for a compatible charger. Plus what happens if we get a bad charger that causes issues on our premium phone?
Freaking Apple.
'single charging standard' from European Union refers to the charging port. Namely trying to mandate USB C. Not the brick/transformer. This is solely Apple being Apple.
Nov 20, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
I’m thinking of getting the iPhone pro 12 too and I noticed that the 11 pro you must be on a 75$ plan and be on a tab for $20. For the iPhone 12 pro you have to be on 55$ plan and tab of $45. I have a fnf discount on a $65 plan so I can upgrade by adding the $45 tab, but I’m trying to decide if I should wait till Black Friday. Does freedom mobile ever change their pricing? I would hate if they changed their minimum plan from 55 to $75 and have to change my plan. Might be a better call to just get it now I guess... anyone have any ideas if there will be discount Black Friday or if I can expect one?
Dec 25, 2013
357 posts
278 upvotes
Brampton
I always find these "Deals" stupid. Why not just get for the iphone 11 on the absolute 0, and then sell that on kijji to save $800.

Use that $800 to buy an iphone 12 straight out, why only save $312.

Some people aren't real RFDers.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18381 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
aurasphere wrote: I always find these "Deals" stupid. Why not just get for the iphone 11 on the absolute 0, and then sell that on kijji to save $800.

I don't get either. I sign up multiple times. I sold one and got the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G and saved the other for when the Max comes out.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 17, 2018
196 posts
115 upvotes
aurasphere wrote: I always find these "Deals" stupid. Why not just get for the iphone 11 on the absolute 0, and then sell that on kijji to save $800.

Because absolute zero iPhone is not available to existing customers, especially not us that are protecting our grandfathered plans. Yes we are saving money, but getting there in different way then you.