[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Bonus Data Plans

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 3:56 pm
Apr 24, 2010
671 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
dicecube wrote: Zoomer competes?
Certainly. Zoomer's 6 GB unlimited Canada calling for $40.50 . Commit to a 2 year contract to get a free Huawei P30 Lite which can easily be sold for $250 making the net cost $30 a month.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1869 posts
1314 upvotes
They’re really getting aggressive with blowing the price out the water, with Shaw Mobile and Freedom Mobile. I wonder how the big 3 will react, it would be nice if they permanently slashed some prices...
Mar 7, 2004
387 posts
62 upvotes
ontario
smgksa wrote: This will be a good deal with a Friends & Family discount.
If you currently have a Friends and Family discount, can you switch to one of these plans and keep the discount?
could have = could've ≠ could of
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3678 posts
2923 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: Sure they do.. with no VoLTE, WiFi Calling or RCS messaging. Things that just don't matter in 2020.
But ,zoomer has service and Canada wide coverage Freedom needs wifi for service and no coverage let alone Canada wide coverage
Apr 14, 2006
396 posts
241 upvotes
davidguy wrote: Wifi calling uses WIFI to call which is great if you're somewhere with spotty connection and offers better call quality.
Wifi calling is a stopgap way of compensating for inferior coverage. It's better to expect the existing cell network handle calls competently.
Last edited by cal653 on Aug 23rd, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2016
829 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
IEpicDestroyer wrote: They’re really getting aggressive with blowing the price out the water, with Shaw Mobile and Freedom Mobile. I wonder how the big 3 will react, it would be nice if they permanently slashed some prices...
This ∆. Forget all these folks thrashing freedom. We all are benefitting from this as it is keeping the Big 3 on their toes. As OP rightfully said, Freedom plans are OK for folks who live and work in their coverage areas. This happens to be more than 50% of Canadians. The Big 3 are also doing the maths and can see that Freedom/Shaw is slowly and quietly gaining market share. They are being forced to offer better data plans. Especially with Covid still keeping a lot of folks at home.
cal653 wrote: Wifi calling is a stopgap way of compensating for inferior coverage. It's better to expect the existing cell network handle calls competently.
That's one way of looking at it, here is another: Folks who experience poor signal quality usually experience this while they are indoors. Outdoors they usually have clear uninterrupted access to the tower and can enjoy their data service. Indoors, especially at home, you don't need your data bucket since you are hooked up to WiFi most of the time. The only thing you are at risk of is missed call. So having VoWiFi helps take care of that.
By the way, all of the big 3 offer VoWiFi so if you aren't taking advantage of it, you should start. It's great for cutting down roaming costs too (whenever we get to start roaming again 2022 maybe?)
Last edited by Gangsta101 on Aug 23rd, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16995 posts
6133 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: This ∆. Forget all three folks thrashing freedom. We all are benefitting from this as it is keeping the Big 3 on their toes. As OP rightfully said, Freedom plans are OK for folks who live and work in their coverage areas. This happens to be more than 50% of Canadians. The Big 3 are also doing the maths and can see that Freedom/Shaw is slowly and quietly gaining market share. They are being forced to offer better data plans. Especially with Covid still keeping a lot of folks at home.
I need a workable service. As so many have found out the hard way Freedom cannot give them passable service. Competition is useless if it cannot compete.
There are those who have no problems on Freedom, and there are many who have nothing but problems. In my experience its related to location/towers, some work great, some are so bad a cup and string works better.
I was on a great priced Freedom plan but could not use the damn service because it wouldn't work properly. I spent a very long time fighting with their "technical support" who lied, denied, claimed they fixed it (but could never tell me what they fixed, since they didn't actually do anything) and promised over and over it was working now more times than i can count.
I had to move on to another provider to get my calls, receive my texts and at the end not have frequent dropped calls. When i did i was told by the rep that this was common, they saw customers regularly who left Freedom because they got crappy service. How does this help lower prices from Rogers/Bell?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Nov 30, 2016
829 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
Quentin5 wrote: When i did i was told by the rep that this was common, they saw customers regularly who left Freedom because they got crappy service. How does this help lower prices from Rogers/Bell?
1. Slightly Smiling Face I am surprised you are quoting the words of a CSR whose job is to thrash Freedom. It might be the truth, but he's not the most reliable witness now is he/she?
2. You have discovered it's not for you and moved on, great. But give others the opportunity to try. That's all I am saying. Here's my thought, there's a reason the big 3 have got pristine data connection service, they keep the lanes artificially clear by making you pay some of the highest premiums for data access in the world (and let's be clear about this, we are talking about data access and not call access. Calls in Canada are so cheap they can be free ... FONGO..., That's why the carriers bundle it with data). Even underdeveloped countries have cheaper data plans than we have got. And other developed countries do as well.
But by charging us so much for data, the Big 3 are ensuring no one uses the service or they pay punitive charges for it. The result, they get some of the fastest speed test results at anytime. It's like the 407 in Ontario. Constantly free of hold-ups cos no one's on there, while you can't move an inch on the 401.
Or another analogy, there's a reason why the washrooms at Tim Hortons stink compared to those at luxury stores. They do not see the same foot traffic.
How does it keep the big 3 honest, Data prices in Canada have been getting priced more aggressively since the resurrection of Freedom from the ashes of wind mobile. My guess is that for every 4 that give it a try, 2 go back to look for other plans while 2 stay on. Because somehow the freedom customer base is growing. If it isn't the network, then it's the cellphone plans they're locking people to. But their numbers are growing. And for that to happen, the big 3 will see a decline in their own numbers. It's a zero-sum game remember.
So for you the folks staying on might be fools, but as long as they are getting some sort of service and staying on, they are keeping the big 3 honest and doing you a favor as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16995 posts
6133 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: 1. Slightly Smiling Face I am surprised you are quoting the words of a CSR whose job is to thrash Freedom. It might be the truth, but he's not the most reliable witness now is he/she?
Walmart sells many if not most of the major players plans iirc
2. You have discovered it's not for you and moved on, great. But give others the opportunity to try. That's all I am saying. Here's my thought, there's a reason the big 3 have got pristine data connection service, they keep the lanes artificially clear by making you pay some of the highest premiums for data access in the world (and let's be clear about this, we are talking about data access and not call access. Calls in Canada are so cheap they can be free ... FONGO..., That's why the carriers bundle it with data). Even underdeveloped countries have cheaper data plans than we have got. And other developed countries do as well.
So by telling the truth i am harming people who need service that works properly.
I want lower prices as does everyone (why do you think i was a Freedom customer and kept trying for several years to make it work). Selling garbage does not get us competition and lower prices, they need to sell a working service to put competitive pressure on the gougers.
I would be still be on Freedom if they could make their trash actually work.
But by charging us so much for data, the Big 3 are ensuring no one uses the service or they pay punitive charges for it. The result, they get some of the fastest speed test results at anytime. It's like the 407 in Ontario. Constantly free of hold-ups cos no one's on there, while you can't move an inch on the 401.
Or another analogy, there's a reason why the washrooms at Tim Hortons stink compared to those at luxury stores. They do not see the same foot traffic.
How does it keep the big 3 honest, Data prices in Canada have been getting priced more aggressively since the resurrection of Freedom from the ashes of wind mobile. My guess is that for every 4 that give it a try, 2 go back to look for other plans while 2 stay on. Because somehow the freedom customer base is growing. If it isn't the network, then it's the cellphone plans they're locking people to. But their numbers are growing. And for that to happen, the big 3 will see a decline in their own numbers. It's a zero-sum game remember.
So for you the folks staying on might be fools, but as long as they are getting some sort of service and staying on, they are keeping the big 3 honest and doing you a favor as well.
If we want better prices defending garbage is not the way to get it. It is self defeating. You are harming your own argument.
Acting all high and mighty may get you enablers but it changes nothing.
They need to sell a competitive product and as people move away from the price gougers for proper service at better prices the legacy players will have to lower prices.
That will work far better than hiding the truth.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Nov 30, 2016
829 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
You are absolutely right, if you believe something to be the truth, you have the right, nay the obligation to state that truth loudly and clearly.
I have stated mine and am always careful to precede my posts with a qualifier that they are just my thoughts.
However here is one truth that is undeniable.

The average Canadian uses only about 2.5gb/month and pays about $69 for it.
We are getting shafted ... badly.
Deals like this from the OP are clearly better than what the average user is getting.
Dec 13, 2016
351 posts
196 upvotes
GTA
ldrafter wrote: If you currently have a Friends and Family discount, can you switch to one of these plans and keep the discount?
Once you switch plan friend and family discount will be replace by $15 before, I don't know now.
FreedomMobile
DakilangMangingibig
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2148 posts
373 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
smgksa wrote: Once you switch plan friend and family discount will be replace by $15 before, I don't know now.
+1

I haven’t seen 35% F&F codes for quite while. Freedom promoted 25% codes more often but capped at $15 as stated above.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7482 posts
4959 upvotes
Canada
Freedom network is way better in western Canada than GTA.

Most people that constantly bash freedom on RFD I see are from GTA