Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Bonus Data Plans

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 3:56 pm
Sep 10, 2009
378 posts
228 upvotes
How does the bonus data work? Is it a one time use thing or is it in your account forever?

And I never really got the unreliable service complaints that some people seem to get. I’ve been with Freedom for 6+ years now and it’s been working pretty well. Annoyances would be losing service if I went to Quebec (but I have the Everything 50 plan so it’s not that big of a deal ) and not being able to properly suspend service but since I’m in the GTA like 99% of the time, it’s been well. Nothing really amazing but never had cut outs of calls, data has been spotty sometimes (but honestly rarely), and texts went through though I moved to RCS or other forms of messaging. I usually travel in Scarborough, uptown, and downtown and it’s been good. I did have relatively new phones though so maybe that helps?

Maybe if you’re with a business, I wouldn’t go with freedom but anyone else who stays in the city, I’d say try it out at least. Decent plans for relatively low prices
Mar 14, 2014
525 posts
648 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote:
By the way, all of the big 3 offer VoWiFi so if you aren't taking advantage of it, you should start. It's great for cutting down roaming costs too (whenever we get to start roaming again 2022 maybe?)
Wifi-Calling is a great feature and especially if you're with Rogers/Fido, or Freedom/Shaw as the feature works anywhere internationally. Bell/Virgin and Telus/Koodo restrict Wifi-Calling to Canada only, reports posted on forums indicate some users getting it to work outside of Canada using a VPN, however their results were less than desirable.
Nov 30, 2016
828 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
Feels Good Man wrote: ... And I never really got the unreliable service complaints that some people seem to get. I’ve been with Freedom for 6+ years now and it’s been working pretty well. ... but anyone else who stays in the city, I’d say try it out at least. Decent plans for relatively low prices
This has been my experience as well. I used Wind mobile for a time in 2015 and I think I have have an idea of what unreliable service feels like. I lived in a basement and service would disappear immediately I got indoors, so much so i was considering a booster, in the end I switched to Koodo for a few months (Rogers was unreliable there as well), and when I moved out, I switched to a fido tablet plan, $15 for 3gb and coupled it with Fongo. I was good for a while until I needed a plan that would give me a new premium phone plus lots of data for less than $100. That's when Freedom relaunched. My experience with them matches what I had with fido, plus with 14gb, my kids' tablets stay connected to mobile hotspot when I'm driving. My experience has been at least 9/10. I do not understand people's complaints and I do not judge them, but I feel people need to hear both sides of the story. Freedom mobile has got 1.5mil subscribers, they wouldn't be that many if the service really sucked liked folks on RF make it seem.
In addition, wind mobile didn't have VoWifi. Freedom mobile does. This makes a huge difference in ones indoor experience. I have visited friends in Brampton and the Freedom mobile network there is unreliable, by this I mean LTE flickers in and out. I wouldn't recommend it for them, because this was in front of the building. But I repeat, my general experience with Freedom has been one of reliable service, matching my connection with Fido.
Last edited by Gangsta101 on Aug 23rd, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16995 posts
6131 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: I do not understand people's complaints
Gangsta101 wrote: I have visited friends in Brampton and the Freedom mobile network there is unreliable. I wouldn't recommend it for them.
You have answered yourself.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Nov 30, 2016
828 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
flyjazz wrote: Wifi-Calling is a great feature and especially if you're with Rogers/Fido, or Freedom/Shaw as the feature works anywhere internationally. Bell/Virgin and Telus/Koodo restrict Wifi-Calling to Canada only, reports posted on forums indicate some users getting it to work outside of Canada using a VPN, however their results were less than desirable.
Wow. This is good info to know. Bell has always had anti-consumer features and this is just one more unnecessary one.
Quentin5 wrote: You have answered yourself.
Dude are you stalking my posts? 🤣 I have clarified my comments. Also if Freedom isn't for you, please don't use it, and tell as many people as you can. I ain't standing in your way. For me Freedom serves it's purpose and that's all that matters. I am not married to them. If I see a better deal from anywhere else I am onto it in a flash. But for now Freedom serves it's purpose. I go from my home WiFi to work WiFi, data access is only required for the drive in-between and my 14gb from Freedom serves just fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16995 posts
6131 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: Dude are you stalking my posts? 🤣
Of course, i have no life and spend my time "stalking" your posts.
I don't know what that means, but apparently reading replies to a thread constitutes "stalking".
I have clarified my comments. Also if Freedom isn't for you, please don't use it, and tell as many people as you can. I ain't standing in your way. For me Freedom serves it's purpose and that's all that matters. I am not married to them. If I see a better deal from anywhere else I am onto it in a flash. But for now Freedom serves it's purpose. I go from my home WiFi to work WiFi, data access is only required for the drive in-between and my 14gb from Freedom serves just fine.
If you don't like your own words don't lash out at me
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1800 posts
690 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
These plans do not seem to include nation wide data. If so, plan on spending lots of money in roaming charges.
Oct 19, 2018
39 posts
40 upvotes
Is the bonus data a permanent thing in my plan, or does it end after some months?

It seems like BOYD discount is only applicable for one year?

I'm on a 5gb / $30 pre-paid legacy plan, thinking if I should upgrade to the 11GB / $40 plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1065 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver
pjw918 wrote: Google's answer to Apple's iMessage.
The default messaging app on current Android devices.
Without provider RCS support, you're stuck with the limitations of standard SMS/MMS.
heaven forbid a cross-platform solution like whatsapp or signal messenger for the past decade :P
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1643 upvotes
Alberta
facebook259 wrote: These plans do not seem to include nation wide data. If so, plan on spending lots of money in roaming charges.
These 'Freedom Plans' are for people who live and work within Freedom network coverage.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage
Unlimited nationwide talk & text is included, roaming data .05/MB.

Those who regularly require data outside Freedom coverage can choose from the 'Big Gig Unlimited' plans which do include nationwide data, and also have bonus data, 5GB each.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plans
Last edited by pjw918 on Aug 23rd, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 20, 2017
154 posts
174 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: Freedom network is way better in western Canada than GTA.

Most people that constantly bash freedom on RFD I see are from GTA
I have 3 years under my belt using it between richmond hill, downtown toronto & newmarket. I rarely need to make calls on the go & pay $50 for 12GB+unlimited data & unlimited north american calling & texting. No other company comes close for me.
Quentin5 wrote: If we want better prices defending garbage is not the way to get it. It is self defeating. You are harming your own argument.
You lost this argument 4 years ago when freedom entered the Canadian market lmao go check what the average prices of data per GB were in Canada over the past 10 years and then when you see it fall off a cliff tell me how long after freedoms big gig plans dropped it was. You're just a sour dude who's clearly only here to start s***, we get it you tried it and it wasn't for you, share your experience and move on.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1643 upvotes
Alberta
MmmWaffles wrote: Is the bonus data a permanent thing in my plan, or does it end after some months?

It seems like BOYD discount is only applicable for one year?

I'm on a 5gb / $30 pre-paid legacy plan, thinking if I should upgrade to the 11GB / $40 plan.
Bonus data is permanent.
BYOD promo credit is for 12 months, OP should have specified.
Apr 18, 2004
887 posts
293 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: I need a workable service. As so many have found out the hard way Freedom cannot give them passable service. Competition is useless if it cannot compete.
There are those who have no problems on Freedom, and there are many who have nothing but problems. In my experience its related to location/towers, some work great, some are so bad a cup and string works better.
I was on a great priced Freedom plan but could not use the damn service because it wouldn't work properly. I spent a very long time fighting with their "technical support" who lied, denied, claimed they fixed it (but could never tell me what they fixed, since they didn't actually do anything) and promised over and over it was working now more times than i can count.
I had to move on to another provider to get my calls, receive my texts and at the end not have frequent dropped calls. When i did i was told by the rep that this was common, they saw customers regularly who left Freedom because they got crappy service. How does this help lower prices from Rogers/Bell?
I got exactly same issue from them, never go back to them
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
May 2, 2017
85 posts
106 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: Freedom network is way better in western Canada than GTA.
I don't have experience with Freedom in GTA, but it's been great for me in metro Vancouver. I'm not one who has loyalty for any carrier, and would not hesitate to switch if I encounter consistently bad reception or for better prices elsewhere. I actually ditched Freedom once several years ago because of poor coverage, then went back just a few months ago because Fido did their routine price hike since I had been with them for a year (a price adjustment is reward for "loyalty" these days).

Given what you hear about Freedom with people calling it "garbage" and all, it has been surprisingly fast and stable in my second try with them. Freedom has definitely improved a lot out here in the west, with wireless service now comparable to big 3 in urban areas it covers, which is basically all I need in the middle of pandemic. I'm on the $50 plan for 10GB/month with unlimited data, calling and texting in Canada. Again, if a big 3 comes along with better offer than this, I'm switching.

In the meantime, Freedom is starting to live up to being a real competition to bring Canadian wireless prices down. We could use more companies like this to threaten the big 3, instead of fake competitors like Public, Virgin, Chatr and the many other entities owned by big 3.