Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile offering some customers 5GB of free monthly data

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 9:05 pm
Jun 22, 2009
887 posts
425 upvotes
Vancouver
Jonbelloguzman wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 12:11 am
Thank you! I've spoken to a supervisor and was shot down. He was a bit ride too but nothing came out of it for me. I guess like other posters I'll keep trying.
Did he sound a bit on the abrasive side? I had the same one I think the other day got into a very confrontational yelling match almost he kept trying to speak over me and tell me they don't do anything etc
Apr 21, 2019
13 posts
4 upvotes
alicklee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 2:21 am
Did he sound a bit on the abrasive side? I had the same one I think the other day got into a very confrontational yelling match almost he kept trying to speak over me and tell me they don't do anything etc
Yes, he did sound abrasive. So I guess your conversation didn't get you the bonus data? Will you try again? I just don't understand how others are getting it and customers like me can't. I am on the 50 Everywhere plan from 2 years ago (8 GB, 1 GB USA, Unlimited Canada-wide calling, 2400 USA roaming minutes, unlimited international texting, etc.). I saw other posters that have the same plan as me and they got it.
Sep 10, 2017
164 posts
33 upvotes
kulb wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 8:24 pm
Just did a live chat with Freedom, no luck getting the 5GB, but the rep added $5 for 4 months. I am on an old $35 plan with 2GB & unlimited calling.
I was on the exact plan like you . Just call in tell them - another company is offering 4.5gb for 40/month so i want to leave and you might get extra 2gb/month for 2 years . Good Luck :)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1720 posts
322 upvotes
Eaglyeye wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 11:29 am
I was on the exact plan like you . Just call in tell them - another company is offering 4.5gb for 40/month so i want to leave and you might get extra 2gb/month for 2 years . Good Luck :)
Thank you! I did exactly as you told me; told agent that I am planning to switch to another provider as I didn't get the 5GB bonus after being a loyal customer for many years, he was going to transfer me to loyalty, placed me on hold, came back and said he spoke to his supervisor who agreed to add 5GB bonus/month to my account. Got text message confirmation of 5GB bonus right away. So now I have 7GB for $35.
Sep 10, 2017
164 posts
33 upvotes
kulb wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 12:45 pm
Thank you! I did exactly as you told me; told agent that I am planning to switch to another provider as I didn't get the 5GB bonus after being a loyal customer for many years, he was going to transfer me to loyalty, placed me on hold, came back and said he spoke to his supervisor who agreed to add 5GB bonus/month to my account. Got text message confirmation of 5GB bonus right away. So now I have 7GB for $35.
Looks like you got 1 better , i got only 2gb but you got 5
Nov 8, 2018
41 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 11:50 pm
Haha I have the same plans. Everywhere 50 (the original one) and 2+2 (the original one, Smartphone 40). They gave my second line 3GB for a total of 7GB but they wouldn't even budge on my primary line.

I'm not giving up yet. I've only spoken to first and second level chat and call centre agents. I'll try loyalty tomorrow.
Good luck! It's just not worth the hassle anymore for me. When my last line has its phone fully paid off I'm switching carriers... Freedom customer service just makes me want to leave...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3648 posts
1088 upvotes
Parry Sound
scawscaw wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:20 pm
Good luck! It's just not worth the hassle anymore for me. When my last line has its phone fully paid off I'm switching carriers... Freedom customer service just makes me want to leave...
I really don't need any additional data... I just have a lot of time on my hands and think it's extremely foolish and unfair of them to offer it to some customers yet deny others who have the EXACT same plan.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1720 posts
322 upvotes
Eaglyeye wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:10 pm
Looks like you got 1 better , i got only 2gb but you got 5
Guess I got lucky with this one. But Freedom customer service really sucks - they should treat all customers equally instead of sending and giving out these offers randomly.
Nov 8, 2018
41 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:40 pm
I really don't need any additional data... I just have a lot of time on my hands and think it's extremely foolish and unfair of them to offer it to some customers yet deny others who have the EXACT same plan.
yea... if they weren't prepared to offer it to everyone then they shouldn't have done this at all... because they're really annoying more people then they're buying goodwill from with the 5 GB. I definitely won't be recommending them to anyone else...
Aug 9, 2013
82 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had problems with Freedom overseas support most of the time. They either are not informed or there is a communication barrier...even if they speak English.

I called to confirm the 5 gb and got endless runaround with the bottom line...I couldn't be getting it because it's not showing up on their system. Meanwhile it's showing up on the app.

In this case, it's the system itself.

They also have a fixed set of offers to match complaints. No matter how much you argue, they will only go so far......as instructed by the paper in front of them.

I called to argue that they are discriminating by offering subsidized phones to some and not others. Went all the way to retentions and they simply gave me $10 off a month for 6 months. I didn't ask for that...but that's all the paper in front of him said he could offer.

Like every company, there are good and bad things to say. Freedom is a "decent" company and based on how much I pay...it becomes a pretty good one in my books.
Aug 9, 2013
82 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:40 pm
I've been using an average of 1 to 2 gb a month for several years. They can give me a million gb and it makes no difference. Nor 5G speeds.

I've played around with my wife's S4 to remind me of what it was like before LTE. I can tell the difference when it takes a couple of seconds to get to a site. The V20 takes half a second. Will I notice a tenth of a second ? A thousands of a second?

I bet a bottle of cold beer that 5G won't be as popular as they think. Most people won't spend another 20 bucks a month to read their emails 1/10 of a second faster. I know I won't.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3281 posts
2270 upvotes
I'm tearing into "Rod" on chat now .... Keeps on saying "as much as we want to we are not able to add it here".

He kept saying to call loyalty and it's being sent out by the marketing team.
Jul 25, 2019
1 posts
is anyone using freedom in Mississauga how is the reception compared to say chatr or public mobile?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2532 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
SheldonD95589 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 3:29 pm
is anyone using freedom in Mississauga how is the reception compared to say chatr or public mobile?
I just moved to just southwest of Streetsville proper. As I mentioned previously, getting ZERO bars with Koodo/Telus. Friends with Bell/Virgin have similar coverage as they're using Bell Towers (six Bell towers surround me but I'm in the Bermuda Triangle of Mississauga). Other friends with Rogers have slightly better but not as great a signal. Get perfect signal with Freedom with ZERO dopped calls. In fact, will move from Koodo to Freedom in the coming weeks. despite only three towers around me.

Worst case, spend $24 and get the cheapest prepaid plan and sim, get call forwarding on your old line, and then forward it to your new number and try it out for yourself.
Dec 9, 2007
493 posts
84 upvotes
A couple months ago I noticed the plan that I got for my mom back in 2013 called "my 20" "freedom 20" "Wind 20" had 5gb data when I checked usage online...My moms plan includes unlimited local calling and Canada Wide Unlimited text only..Her data has been turned off for 6 years...As for the 5gb, can't tell if it temp or perm..I assume its 3g in speed