Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 4:41 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
296 posts
350 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

I have checked to see if this is a duplicate, but couldn't find a post on this on RFD Hot Deals - apologize if this is a duplicate

Freedom Mobile Prepaid BYOD
The site says this is available for a limited time, regular price $29/mo, discounted:
$5 credit for digital discount (I believe this is auto top up discount) (in my experience, I was told this discount will start on the 2nd cycle)
$5 credit for first 12 months

I know this is Freedom Mobile, but for those who can use their network and do not need a lot of data, it seems like a good deal.

They sometimes give away free SIM, and waive $10 activation fee.
Images
  • Freedom Mobile Offer Taken.PNG
Thread Summary
Unlimited Canada-wide calling, nationwide.
Unlimited global SMS and global MMS, nationwide.
1.5GB data, nationwide. Additional @$15/GB.

All Freedom plans have access to WiFi Calling, VoLTE, RCS messaging and eSIM support.
Call features include call forwarding, caller name (inbound), missed call alerts.
Voicemail allows 50 3min messages, retained 30 days, 90 more if saved.

You can request and activate the prepaid SIM via online chat.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/activate

--
3G voice calls require UMTS Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100).
Freedom LTE bands: B66, B4, B7, B13 (B71 to come).

Access to B13 ('Extended Range LTE') requires VoLTE activated on the phone.
You need both for an optimal Freedom network experience.
Use the Device Compatibility Matrix as your BYOD guide.
[troubleshooting VoLTE]

You'll be on an incumbent (RBT) network when outside Freedom network coverage (n/c).

NOTE: Freedom's Fair Usage Policy requires that the majority of usage over consecutive billing cycles be within the Freedom service area, or off-network access may be restricted or the service terminated.
The FUP specifies a hard cap on data included with Prepaid Nationwide plans.
66 replies
Jan 14, 2016
131 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
If I go out of the Freedom mobile network zone and into the Nationwide will I be charged extra if I go with a prepaid plan? If not will I have signal and be able to make calls? What about the 1.5gigs data, can I use it while in the Nationwide zone outside of Freedom mobiles' coverage? If yes, seems like a really good deal.
Jun 18, 2013
178 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
mexxem wrote: If I go out of the Freedom mobile network zone and into the Nationwide will I be charged extra if I go with a prepaid plan?
No, call text data can be used on nationwide as long as you still have remaining from the monthly plan
mexxem wrote: If not will I have signal and be able to make calls?
Yes, but you have to be away from Freedom converage, you cannot connect to nationwide, even manually, in Freedom coverage area.
mexxem wrote: What about the 1.5gigs data, can I use it while in the Nationwide zone outside of Freedom mobiles' coverage?
Yes, but the catch is, this is prepaid, so no reduced speed data after 1.5G, your data is cut off after that, you will need to buy more if you want to use data.
I spent way too much time finding good deals! Now I will focus on getting my Ph.D. :)
Jan 14, 2016
131 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
FatSheep wrote: No, call text data can be used on nationwide as long as you still have remaining from the monthly plan

Yes, but you have to be away from Freedom converage, you cannot connect to nationwide, even manually, in Freedom coverage area.

Yes, but the catch is, this is prepaid, so no reduced speed data after 1.5G, your data is cut off after that, you will need to buy more if you want to use data.

Thank you very much @FatSheep
Jan 14, 2016
131 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
sonoromanistacs wrote: Are you sure? On the screenshot posted by OP (and on the website), it states "speeds reduced beyond 1.5GB"
I'm usually around wifi spots so 1.5gigs is plenty but if it goes even beyond that with reduced speeds it's even better.
Nov 24, 2013
20 posts
24 upvotes
sonoromanistacs wrote:
Are you sure? On the screenshot posted by OP (and on the website), it states "speeds reduced beyond 1.5GB"
I'm not the OP, but, it used to be how it works (data cut off upon limit on prepaid). It obviously seems like that's not the case here (as you point out). If that is true, however, that would mean that they are undercutting their huge profit from selling extra data (it's $15/GB on my existing prepaid plan)

(edit to add that I was wrong about "huge profit"... They pay around $14/GB http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-99.htm)
Last edited by dueydotnet on Sep 24th, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 11, 2020
141 posts
95 upvotes
when does this expire? my 2 yr rogers contract ends end of november...
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13609 posts
5137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This would be a good prepaid plan to temporarily port to for Koodo or Telus customers who want to get in on the $45/25GB Telus winback plan.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1224 posts
654 upvotes
Waterloo
On this plan right now and loving paying $19+tax per month. Using Freedom on an iPhone 8 and getting 4-5 bars in most places in Waterloo. 1.5 GB isn't a lot of data, but with COVID I'm mostly staying at home (in Wifi coverage) anyway. The nice things about this plan are:

1) VoLTE and Wifi Calling support. Calls are clear and connect very quickly, and the Wifi Calling is probably the best implementation of all the carriers since it allows you to call/text to Canada from anywhere as long as you're on Wifi, including outside of the country.
2) Full speed LTE
3) Nationwide tower access included for calls/texts/data - if you're outside of a Freedom zone you'll just connect to Rogers/Bell/Telus networks and can continue to use your plan with no issues and no extra charges (up to your limits)
4) Lots of support options in calling and live chat. Obviously your experience will vary, but I signed up back in April and getting service over iMessage and WhatsApp was super quick and the reps were friendly and competent.

I actually hit the data cap a few days back as an experiment and my data was turned off completely until the new billing cycle, in case anyone is curious.

If you want to spend more there are better plans with more data, but for ~$20/month it's hard to beat this right now. Overall I've been using Freedom for about 6 months and haven't had any problems with reliability with doing calls or voice chats when driving around Waterloo/the GTA.
Jun 18, 2013
178 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
sonoromanistacs wrote: Are you sure? On the screenshot posted by OP (and on the website), it states "speeds reduced beyond 1.5GB"

That’s the vague part, I went for this plan last month when it was out BECAUSE I hope to use the data after 1.5.

However, the data was completely nonexistent after the allowance, web pages timeout, IM apps disconnected(WeChat).

Called customer service, was given vague answer that data is still on but EXTREMELY slow, which I think is not true as I had used Wind before and I know that SLOW data would look like.

After two tries to customer agents, was given a one time 1g pass for free.

A few days ago, given poor signal at home, no useful data after monthly plan and Fido promo for freedom port, I left Freedom for the third time. Sigh...
I spent way too much time finding good deals! Now I will focus on getting my Ph.D. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3827 posts
2352 upvotes
Toronto
what happens after 12 months? does freedom normally extend these promos or do you have to nag and renegotiate like rogers after it's up?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1224 posts
654 upvotes
Waterloo
chadw01 wrote: what happens after 12 months? does freedom normally extend these promos or do you have to nag and renegotiate like rogers after it's up?
As it's prepaid I'm guessing there won't be any offers and you'll have to pay full price after 12 months. Myself I'm planning to just re-evaluate and switch carriers next year once my discount is up.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3827 posts
2352 upvotes
Toronto
PressureBoom wrote: As it's prepaid I'm guessing there won't be any offers and you'll have to pay full price after 12 months. Myself I'm planning to just re-evaluate and switch carriers next year once my discount is up.
thanks yeah at $29/month after 12 months better to look around at that point in time or just before it expires
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1155 posts
919 upvotes
Vancouver
cream4389 wrote: when does this expire? my 2 yr rogers contract ends end of november...
Can't you just port out anytime?
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
296 posts
350 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PressureBoom wrote: 1) VoLTE and Wifi Calling support. Calls are clear and connect very quickly, and the Wifi Calling is probably the best implementation of all the carriers since it allows you to call/text to Canada from anywhere as long as you're on Wifi, including outside of the country.
2) Full speed LTE
3) Nationwide tower access included for calls/texts/data - if you're outside of a Freedom zone you'll just connect to Rogers/Bell/Telus networks and can continue to use your plan with no issues and no extra charges (up to your limits)
4) Lots of support options in calling and live chat. Obviously your experience will vary, but I signed up back in April and getting service over iMessage and WhatsApp was super quick and the reps were friendly and competent.
Thanks for this, I'm new to Freedom Mobile and was wondering about #1. Thanks for the note re what happens after you hit the data cap, yes the condition stated on the prepaid page states "Speed reduced beyond 1.5 GB" with no reference to a footnote. The only footnote I see is with regards to Big Gig (attached, not sure if it's applicable here)
Once your Fast LTE (full-speed) allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Freedom Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Nationwide Network or, in the case of the Big Gig Unlimited data Canada-U.S. plan, in the U.S. – until the end of your current billing cycle. Applications such as web browsing, email, instant messaging, voice over IP services, or low-quality audio streaming will continue to work, but at a slower speed.

FatSheep wrote: That’s the vague part, I went for this plan last month when it was out BECAUSE I hope to use the data after 1.5.

After two tries to customer agents, was given a one time 1g pass for free.

A few days ago, given poor signal at home, no useful data after monthly plan and Fido promo for freedom port, I left Freedom for the third time. Sigh...
Thanks for sharing your experience.
cream4389 wrote: when does this expire? my 2 yr rogers contract ends end of november...
There is no specified end date, only: "Limited time offer".
But I expect Freedom will have other promos going on, I'm sure they are losing a lot of customers to Koodo / Fido etc as these guys have specific promotions for current Freedom customers.
Images
  • Big Gig.PNG