Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 4:41 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For those of you in Western Canada and/or are familiar with "Freedom Wifi", do you know if prepaid plan is eligible to get access to their wifi hotspots?

"With Freedom Wi-Fi, customers get exclusive access to over 450,000 Wi-Fi hotspots across Western Canada."
Images
  • Freedom Wifi.PNG
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
FatSheep wrote:
Yes, but the catch is, this is prepaid, so no reduced speed data after 1.5G, your data is cut off after that, you will need to buy more if you want to use data.
I logged into my Freedom Mobile account online, and see: Once data reaches 100%, data speeds will be reduced until the next billing cycle.
It sucks that in your experience, this is not true.
Images
  • Real Time Usage.PNG
Newbie
Feb 12, 2020
15 posts
3 upvotes
adaniel wrote: For those of you in Western Canada and/or are familiar with "Freedom Wifi", do you know if prepaid plan is eligible to get access to their wifi hotspots?

"With Freedom Wi-Fi, customers get exclusive access to over 450,000 Wi-Fi hotspots across Western Canada."
Yes. My kids' prepaid plan can access those hotspots.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
dueydotnet wrote: that would mean that they are undercutting their huge profit from selling extra data (it's $15/GB on my existing prepaid plan)
Huge profit? This plan is nationwide. RBT charges Freedom $14/GB for data used on their networks.
chadw01 wrote: at $29/month after 12 months better to look around at that point in time or just before it expires
$24/mo after 12 months, you'll still have the $5/mo autopay discount.
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2011
707 posts
270 upvotes
thanks OP.

anyone know where I can get a prepaid sim (or is it same as postpaid)?
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
1theguy1 wrote: thanks OP.

anyone know where I can get a prepaid sim (or is it same as postpaid)?
Prepaid SIMs are the same as postpaid SIM.
Online (will be mailed to you) or at a store (Walmart, Freedom Mobile, Superstore Mobile Shop, etc). FM gives SIM for free at times (try chatting online with a rep).
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
Why freedom mobile can not roam on the big three tower's when by law they have t share their network towers? That's why freedom can not catch up with the big three.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
1theguy1 wrote: thanks OP.
anyone know where I can get a prepaid sim (or is it same as postpaid)?
Ask for one via online chat. They've been sending them out n/c for prepaid.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/activate
You may need to disable any popup blocker in your browser (eg. UBlock Origin) to get the chat window (or use Chrome).
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1781 posts
1374 upvotes
Calgary
So I've been using this plan for the past 2 days while waiting for the Telus SIM card to come in. I can tell you that data speeds within Calgary are decent, but there's still issues with reception. Got 2 missed call alerts today while out in Glenbrook and have people keep telling me they can't hear me on the phone or having to repeat myself while I'm at home. I would say go for the Public Mobile $23 1GB to save the frustration if you need cheap prepaid data.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
FatSheep wrote: A few days ago, given poor signal at home, no useful data after monthly plan and Fido promo for freedom port, I left Freedom for the third time. Sigh...
For newcomers to Freedom, it's essential to have working VoLTE on the phone for a reliable network experience.
See thread summary for guidance.
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: For newcomers to Freedom, it's essential to have working VoLTE on the phone for a reliable network experience.
See thread summary for guidance.
Good to know, thanks for this and for updating the summary with the detailed info - appreciate it. The FM is used on a iPhone SE (first gen), so it is compatible when I reviewed the matrix.
goflamesgo wrote: So I've been using this plan for the past 2 days while waiting for the Telus SIM card to come in. I can tell you that data speeds within Calgary are decent, but there's still issues with reception. Got 2 missed call alerts today while out in Glenbrook and have people keep telling me they can't hear me on the phone or having to repeat myself while I'm at home. I would say go for the Public Mobile $23 1GB to save the frustration if you need cheap prepaid data.
Good to know.
Did you have to sign up to start getting the "missed call alerts" at all? My concern is if the system fails to notify me when there's a missed call, I will never know about it.
(I miss Glenbrook, lived there for sometime when living in Calgary)
Newbie
Nov 24, 2013
20 posts
24 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: Huge profit? This plan is nationwide. RBT charges Freedom $14/GB for data used on their networks.
I was going to ask you for a source, but, I found it myself:

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-99.htm

Wow, I didn't realize that.... I guess I just incorrectly remembered a cheaper per-gig rate (or, maybe I was thinking of the in-zone rate, instead of roaming rates)

Thanks for the knowledge bomb
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
adaniel wrote: Did you have to sign up to start getting the "missed call alerts" at all? My concern is if the system fails to notify me when there's a missed call, I will never know about it.
Missed call alerts is one of the Call Control features, available by default.
I don't believe it's functional if you have voicemail or call forwarding active. I use CFWD to custom voicemail, and never see them.
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: Missed call alerts is one of the Call Control features, available by default.
I don't believe it's functional if you have voicemail or call forwarding active. I use CFWD to custom voicemail, and never see them.
So you're saying when voicemail is in place, a caller who can't get through to you because of a network issue will be connected to your voicemail.
I am guessing you're using a phone that is compatible with FM's VoLTE network, in general would you say you don't have to worry about missed calls because of this?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1781 posts
1374 upvotes
Calgary
adaniel wrote: Good to know.
Did you have to sign up to start getting the "missed call alerts" at all? My concern is if the system fails to notify me when there's a missed call, I will never know about it.
(I miss Glenbrook, lived there for sometime when living in Calgary)
I do have voicemail setup, but missed calls alert came setup automatically

Top