Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 4:41 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
adaniel wrote: So you're saying when voicemail is in place, a caller who can't get through to you because of a network issue will be connected to your voicemail.
I am guessing you're using a phone that is compatible with FM's VoLTE network, in general would you say you don't have to worry about missed calls because of this?
Direct to voicemail is how it should work.
My Freedom line is VoLTE enabled, devices too.
I haven't seen any indication of a missed call in a very long time, and as I recall that was at a time when I had voicemail disabled..

I'd bet 90% of users/devices with missed call complaints are either not VoLTE enabled and/or do not have access to the extended range LTE B13.
The B13 upgrades are complete in the west, but not yet in Ontario.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: Direct to voicemail is how it should work.
My Freedom line is VoLTE enabled, devices too.
I haven't seen any indication of a missed call in a very long time, and as I recall that was at a time when I had voicemail disabled..
I'd bet 90% of users/devices with missed call complaints are either not VoLTE enabled and/or do not have access to the extended range LTE B13.
Good to know. I call someone who is on Freedom Mobile for work quite a bit using my Fido line, and I noticed:
1. It takes a long time for my call to start ringing, it is as if it takes time to "locate" his phone
2. Poor voice quality when speaking

(I don't know what phone he uses)

But when I signed up my 2nd line (wife's iPhone SE first gen with VoLTE enabled) onto Freedom, the two problems don't seem to exist so far (it's only been less than 24 hours mind you).
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
adaniel wrote: Good to know. I call someone who is on Freedom Mobile for work quite a bit using my Fido line, and I noticed:
1. It takes a long time for my call to start ringing, it is as if it takes time to "locate" his phone
2. Poor voice quality when speaking

(I don't know what phone he uses)

But when I signed up my 2nd line (wife's iPhone SE first gen with VoLTE enabled) onto Freedom, the two problems don't seem to exist so far (it's only been less than 24 hours mind you).

I'll bet his device is trying to drop to 3G for the voice call, which you really want to avoid as there's only 5MHz B4 bandwidth that's easily congested, and calls may degrade or fail.

The SE will have VoLTE (and WiFi Calling), but the Canadian variant does not have LTE B13 for the extended coverage in weak signal / fringe areas.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: I'll bet his device is trying to drop to 3G for the voice call, which you really want to avoid as there's only 5MHz B4 bandwidth that's easily congested, and calls may degrade or fail.

The SE will have VoLTE (and WiFi Calling), but the Canadian variant does not have LTE B13 for the extended coverage in weak signal / fringe areas.
I was doing a test this morning with the SE (first Gen) by making a phone call with a caller whose device is VoLTE enabled (Virgin Mobile).
My VoLTE is enabled on the SE, and the caller's as well (on a newer iPhone - VoLTE proven to work with other callers).
The quality of the call was good, no complaint.
But when I turned off my wifi, the phone indicated I was connected to Freedom's 3G network (attached), not their LTE (which I believe means the call was not VoLTE). In my previous experience, the screen would indicate LTE and/or "VoLTE call" when the call was a VoLTE call.
I was in Oakridge area in Vancouver, and when I checked the cell tower map, I was close to two Freedom towers:
  • Freedom Mobile (2100MHz, 2600MHz)
  • Freedom Mobile (2100MHz, 2600MHz)
Is my analysis correct?
Images
  • Freedom 3G instead of LTE.PNG
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3824 posts
2352 upvotes
Toronto
anyone with intermittent issues with SMS and particularly groups? seems like their SMS network is up and down so often, especially early in the day (EST)

wondering if i'm missing some APN settings or something
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
adaniel wrote: I was doing a test this morning with the SE (first Gen) by making a phone call with a caller whose device is VoLTE enabled (Virgin Mobile).
My VoLTE is enabled on the SE, and the caller's as well (on a newer iPhone - VoLTE proven to work with other callers).
The quality of the call was good, no complaint.
But when I turned off my wifi, the phone indicated I was connected to Freedom's 3G network (attached), not their LTE (which I believe means the call was not VoLTE).
If the phone does not stay on LTE during a call, it's not using VoLTE.
VoLTE can take a couple days to activate on the line (it's a network feature), assuming the phone is VoLTE-capable and has VoLTE enabled in the device settings..
If call quality is good, this is something of a non-issue on your SE, as it lacks the B13 band that VoLTE gains access to on Freedom ('extended range' LTE).
VoLTE does give you access to data while on a call, if you have that need.

To troubleshoot VoLTE follow the steps in this post.
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... #p32305016
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: If the phone does not stay on LTE during a call, it's not using VoLTE.
VoLTE can take a couple days to activate on the line (it's a network feature), assuming the phone is VoLTE-capable and has VoLTE enabled in the device settings..
If call quality is good, this is something of a non-issue on your SE, as it lacks the B13 band that VoLTE gains access to on Freedom ('extended range' LTE).

Thank you, I'll wait and see if the device can access VoLTE after 3 days of being with Freedom.
Thanks for interpreting how "B13 band" is relevant in this case, and because of Covid we stay mostly in the city, so we shouldn't need to worry about this. I was static when making the call this morning, so I wasn't in an out of a tower coverage to another.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: If the phone does not stay on LTE during a call, it's not using VoLTE.

I decided to talk to Customer Service following post #233 you posted here.
I used the Live Chat on an Internet browser.
After the agent made sure VoLTE is enabled and active, he asked me to text SIM to 40001. This prompted me to restart the phone. After restart, I was able to make a VoLTE call with someone!

I found:
1. In some parts of the house, call dropped to 3G - so the material / structure of the house seems to have something to do with this. But when I went outside, it switched back to LTE. But nonetheless, it worked!
2. I then made another call with the same person (1 hour after I ended the chat), call stayed 3G throughout even if I stepped outside. So I wonder if it was disabled again - as you said it could fall back to disabled again.

I will try again in 2-3 days.
Thanks for the guidance.
Sep 19, 2020
10 posts
32 upvotes
This is actually a pretty great idea. Thanks for the input, seriously contemplating this right now.
Jan 30, 2017
491 posts
69 upvotes
So what happens after 1.5 gb of data use?

It says slow speed but in page one ppl weren’t getting that?

Also is the speed enough to send WhatsApp msgs?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13604 posts
5136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Eaglesfan99 wrote: So what happens after 1.5 gb of data use?

It says slow speed but in page one ppl weren’t getting that?

Also is the speed enough to send WhatsApp msgs?
I was told after 1.5GB is used up, it gets throttled down (to 512 kb/s I assume like other carriers?)
Aug 17, 2018
190 posts
107 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: I was told after 1.5GB is used up, it gets throttled down (to 512 kb/s I assume like other carriers?)
Except Freedom was never 512,but half of that.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
292 posts
325 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
grca73 wrote: Except Freedom was never 512,but half of that.
I see this in the T&C, should be applicable here.
Once your Fast LTE (full-speed) allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Freedom Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Nationwide Network
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
It's safe to assume a hard cap on Prepaid Nationwide plan data, as has always been the case, recently confirmed by one of the posters in this thread. On all other Freedom plans over-quota data is throttled.

I asked a chat agent 2 days ago about the "Speed reduced" on the website, he said that's an error that will be corrected, and to refer to the Fair Usage Policy doc.

It's the very first paragraph in the FUP that applies here:
For prepaid plans that are only accessible with the prepaid payment type, to have access to data or to continue to have access to data beyond your selected plan’s full speed data allotment, you must purchase a data add-on and/or data package.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/docs/defau ... policy.pdf

This makes sense on these Nationwide plans as the CRTC currently allows the Big 3 to bill Freedom an exorbitant rate for any data used on their networks.

Talk and text is unlimited on all plans, nationwide.