Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 4:41 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13609 posts
5137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
grca73 wrote: Except Freedom was never 512,but half of that.
adaniel wrote: I see this in the T&C, should be applicable here.
Once your Fast LTE (full-speed) allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Freedom Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Nationwide Network
Thanks! I've only been with Freedom for a few days (temporarily while I port to Telus's winback offer) so I wasn't sure what the exact number is. Just knew from what the agent told me that it will be throttled.
Jr. Member
Sep 23, 2020
101 posts
32 upvotes
How do I successfully ask for a free prepaid sim via online chat? Do I have success asking in store because I feel safer when a sales rep port my number in case anything goes wrong and I lose my number (not sure if happened before).
I have never tried to port a number by myself. When the SIM arrives in the mail, what do I do?
Is there any other fees I can ask to waive, such as activation fee?
I have never used prepaid before, do I pay first and top up before the end of the month, then it will automatically renew?
How do I cancel after first month if I find the signal to be bad? Do I just not top up and the plan will not charge me?
Jr. Member
Sep 9, 2007
128 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
I got a porting done from Mobile shop.They do not charge anything for sim.
Member
User avatar
Jul 5, 2007
277 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart has a special promo plan 25 for 2gb which is throttled after 2gb is used up. Tried to sign up my mom initially but she didn't have enough ID to do the credit check. Went to a freedom store near me and they couldn't give her the plan because it didn't exist on their system. So we went back to Walmart and found out its exclusive to them.
Newbie
Sep 12, 2020
23 posts
8 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
psnarang wrote: I got a porting done from Mobile shop.They do not charge anything for sim.
Which particular store?
Newbie
Sep 12, 2020
23 posts
8 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
gouki wrote: Walmart has a special promo plan 25 for 2gb which is throttled after 2gb is used up. Tried to sign up my mom initially but she didn't have enough ID to do the credit check. Went to a freedom store near me and they couldn't give her the plan because it didn't exist on their system. So we went back to Walmart and found out its exclusive to them.
Is it also unlimited Canada wide calling/texting?
Jr. Member
Sep 9, 2007
128 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Mobile shop at RCSS ,
All the mobile shop have same policy.
Jr. Member
Jan 14, 2016
131 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Lvxios wrote: How do I successfully ask for a free prepaid sim via online chat? Do I have success asking in store because I feel safer when a sales rep port my number in case anything goes wrong and I lose my number (not sure if happened before).
I have never tried to port a number by myself. When the SIM arrives in the mail, what do I do?
Is there any other fees I can ask to waive, such as activation fee?
I have never used prepaid before, do I pay first and top up before the end of the month, then it will automatically renew?
How do I cancel after first month if I find the signal to be bad? Do I just not top up and the plan will not charge me?
I went through chat and asked about this 19$ deal and for how long it will be available because I still have about 2 weeks left on my current plan with the company I'm with. The response was they don't know but it's for however long it's posted on the website. After that I asked if there are any other offers or promos going on, and I was asked what kind of offers. And I said that some people have been getting free sim cards when deciding to switch over to this 19$ promo. They said that if I order the Sim online the 10$ fee can be waived. I asked how do I order, on site or through the live chat, I was given the option of either so I said I'd like to do it now since I'm chatting with them and so they pushed a link in chat for me to fill out my details.

I guess it'll come down to the agent. If they don't ask what promos you're referring to the conversation will take a different turn but then you can just mention it and say the reason you asked is because of other ppl getting a free sim. Good luck!
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2004
738 posts
322 upvotes
Scarborough
mexxem wrote: I went through chat and asked about this 19$ deal and for how long it will be available because I still have about 2 weeks left on my current plan with the company I'm with. The response was they don't know but it's for however long it's posted on the website. After that I asked if there are any other offers or promos going on, and I was asked what kind of offers. And I said that some people have been getting free sim cards when deciding to switch over to this 19$ promo. They said that if I order the Sim online the 10$ fee can be waived. I asked how do I order, on site or through the live chat, I was given the option of either so I said I'd like to do it now since I'm chatting with them and so they pushed a link in chat for me to fill out my details.

I guess it'll come down to the agent. If they don't ask what promos you're referring to the conversation will take a different turn but then you can just mention it and say the reason you asked is because of other ppl getting a free sim. Good luck!
Similar experience, told them I was interested in porting a #. They asked for the IMEI and made me fill the form. I asked about any charges and was told the SIM and shipping were free. I didn't tell them what others were being offered.
Member
User avatar
Jul 5, 2007
277 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
RandomMember wrote: Is it also unlimited Canada wide calling/texting?
It is the $30 plan with 1gb data bonus with digital discount brings it down to $25 a month. No contract but plan is good for 24 months and when asked it is only available at Walmart. Got her the plan on Friday so not sure if still on.
Last edited by gouki on Sep 29th, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1781 posts
1374 upvotes
Calgary
pjw918 wrote: It's safe to assume a hard cap on Prepaid Nationwide plan data, as has always been the case, recently confirmed by one of the posters in this thread. On all other Freedom plans over-quota data is throttled.

I asked a chat agent 2 days ago about the "Speed reduced" on the website, he said that's an error that will be corrected, and to refer to the Fair Usage Policy doc.

It's the very first paragraph in the FUP that applies here:
For prepaid plans that are only accessible with the prepaid payment type, to have access to data or to continue to have access to data beyond your selected plan’s full speed data allotment, you must purchase a data add-on and/or data package.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/docs/defau ... policy.pdf

This makes sense on these Nationwide plans as the CRTC currently allows the Big 3 to bill Freedom an exorbitant rate for any data used on their networks.

Talk and text is unlimited on all plans, nationwide.
So I had this plan for 6 days before switching back over to Telus. Used about half of it on the Nationwide network in Banff last week. Overall, it's decent for what it is, but the Public Mobile one I mentioned before is much more reliable. It's great to have Nationwide coverage and the signal is decent when the plan is using it outside of the Freedom zone. I missed like 3 calls yesterday on the Freedom network, and the person calling me got really angry at me since they needed my response for something right away. So keep in mind that you will get missed calls even in a city where they are headquartered while it's usually fine on the Big3.

I did completely run out my data allotment yesterday and got a text saying so. I wasn't able to browse the web still received WhatsApp messages and emails throughout the day until I switched back over to Telus, so maybe it isn't necessarily a hard hard cap. Not sure if it's just the slow data not allowing webpages to load but definitely had those data using apps work even after the 100% mark.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
182 posts
211 upvotes
Ontario
Switched to this. My plan still says $24/month even after pestering them about the digital discount. On top of this, texts often don't send or receive, not sure about calling since I don't call that much. Thinking about switching to Lucky soon.
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
296 posts
350 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MrBear2019 wrote: Switched to this. My plan still says $24/month even after pestering them about the digital discount. On top of this, texts often don't send or receive, not sure about calling since I don't call that much. Thinking about switching to Lucky soon.
Likewise, my plan still says $29/month (see attached), but I chatted via Live Chat with a rep who said with the $19/month top up I have set up, there will be enough balance to cover this because of the 2x $5/month credits (digital + BYOD discounts).
I will keep the transcript of the chat with me in case there is a problem when the monthly renewal happens.
Images
  • FM Plan.PNG
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
296 posts
350 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: Direct to voicemail is how it should work.
My Freedom line is VoLTE enabled, devices too.
I haven't seen any indication of a missed call in a very long time, and as I recall that was at a time when I had voicemail disabled..

I'd bet 90% of users/devices with missed call complaints are either not VoLTE enabled and/or do not have access to the extended range LTE B13.
The B13 upgrades are complete in the west, but not yet in Ontario.
MrBear2019 wrote: Switched to this. My plan still says $24/month even after pestering them about the digital discount. On top of this, texts often don't send or receive, not sure about calling since I don't call that much. Thinking about switching to Lucky soon.
@MrBear2019 , with regards to texts not sending or receiving, see post from @pjw918 requoted above. Did you check your device against this matrix?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
182 posts
211 upvotes
Ontario
adaniel wrote: @MrBear2019 , with regards to texts not sending or receiving, see post from @pjw918 requoted above. Did you check your device against this matrix?
Yes, I have the Galaxy A50 bought from Canada. It has all the bands covered, and is also in the matrix and has everything except LAA (and Dual Sim and E-Sim).

I'm not trying to call you or anyone out, but I've noticed that every time someone complains about Freedom (especially on Reddit), people come out in swaths asking the user to restart the phone, reset your SIM, and when that doesn't work, just say that "your phone probably doesn't have the bands (as @pjw918 did)" or "you didn't check the coverage properly." It never seems to be Freedom's fault. And in case anyone is wondering, Freedom does ask you for your phone and region when you try to buy their plans (even on chat), so it's not like they haven't checked already.

I have a 100% compatible phone, I'm in a Freedom Area and yes, I've set up the all the config settings multiple times, every time I've had issues. There are a ton of posts of people having issues with text messages, and it isn't sporadic, it seems to happen at certain times when people flood the threads with complaints. It's a Freedom issue, and every time it happens, they never acknowledge that something went wrong on their end. It just magically starts working again. Their mobille app is somehow a mess, even though all it is is the mobile website, but it still somehow can't remember my login or show my balance correctly. I've contacted Freedom twice in the past week asking them why my plan says $24, they apologize and switch it back to $19, and then 2 days later it's back to $24.

Again, not trying to call you out (I mean all you did was ask a question :P), but I've genuinely tried almost every troubleshooting step multiple times. It's gotten to the point where I send myself a text message every few hours to check whether it's working or not. I'll probably stick around with FM for a month or so and see if it stabilizes (since I'm at home all day anyway so it isn't too much of an issue), but in case anyone is reading this thread and uses their phone for work or relies a lot on calls and texts, please think again. There's a decent chance that you won't have any issue, but with something as basic and important as calling/texting, I wouldn't risk it.

Top