Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Prepaid, Unlim. Calls and Texts + 1.5 GB / Month BYOD $19/mo first 12 months

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 4:41 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
MrBear2019 wrote: Yes, I have the Galaxy A50 bought from Canada. It has all the bands covered, and is also in the matrix and has everything except LAA (and Dual Sim and E-Sim).

I'm not trying to call you or anyone out, but I've noticed that every time someone complains about Freedom (especially on Reddit), people come out in swaths asking the user to restart the phone, reset your SIM, and when that doesn't work, just say that "your phone probably doesn't have the bands (as @pjw918 did)" or "you didn't check the coverage properly." It never seems to be Freedom's fault. And in case anyone is wondering, Freedom does ask you for your phone and region when you try to buy their plans (even on chat), so it's not like they haven't checked already.
You will not have satisfactory service without both working VoLTE and B13 access, as emphasized in the thread summary.
That's reality, not fanboyism. Follow those highlighted links in the thread summary for confirmation from Freedom's website.
I've genuinely tried almost every troubleshooting step multiple times.
You don't mention in your post whether you have working VoLTE (call stays on LTE).
If not, did you follow the troubleshooting VoLTE link in the thread summary?
We don't know if B13 is provisioned in your area. You don't mention location.

There are other things that could be tried, including checking for correct APN & SMSC settings, but I'm done here.
It's discouraging for those of us who invest time and effort informing and trying to help others to be "called out" as making excuses for Freedom, as you did.
Jun 15, 2020
187 posts
215 upvotes
Ontario
pjw918 wrote: You will not have satisfactory service without both working VoLTE and B13 access, as emphasized in the thread summary.
That's reality, not fanboyism. Follow those highlighted links in the thread summary for confirmation from Freedom's website.

You don't mention in your post whether you have working VoLTE (call stays on LTE).
If not, did you follow the troubleshooting VoLTE link in the thread summary?
We don't know if B13 is provisioned in your area. You don't mention location.

There are other things that could be tried, including checking for correct APN & SMSC settings, but I'm done here.
It's discouraging for those of us who invest time and effort informing and trying to help others to be "called out" as making excuses for Freedom, as you did.
It's also discouraging for people to say that 90% of people complaining haven't set everything up properly, and that it does not have anything to do with Freedom's own network or issues. Especially when people are complaining about the network, and not necessarily asking for help.

I do have working VoLTE - and regardless, my biggest issues are with texting and billing, both of which aren't related to VoLTE related. I've followed the guides and posts on Reddit for APN & SMSC settings multiple times.
but I'm done here.
I wasn't trying to call you out or say that there's something inherently wrong with helping other people. I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but no unofficial troubleshooting or band hunting is an excuse for Freedom's issues.
Dec 13, 2009
168 posts
38 upvotes
once you get the free sim, can u activate online to get the activation fees waived or do you have to contact their chat agents again?
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
301 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
judgfm wrote: once you get the free sim, can u activate online to get the activation fees waived or do you have to contact their chat agents again?
I'll share my experience with activating a prepaid line.
I was advised to do the activation with a live chat agent, so that is what I did (via WhatsApp).
I was expecting to pay the activation fee, but the agent said it had been waived (not sure why, or when, I didn't ask). I got my SIM card mailed to me for free.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
301 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: $24/mo after 12 months, you'll still have the $5/mo autopay discount.
It seems like all the promo plans aren't available for me to change the existing plan to.
In "My Account", under "Change Plan" I can only see the following:
  • $45, Freedom 2 GB
  • $30, Freedom 500 MB
  • $20, Freedom 250 MB
  • $30, Freedom Data Plan 1 GB
  • $55, Freedom 5 GB
  • $55, Big Gig Unlimited 10 GB
  • $65, Big Gig Unlimited + Talk 10 GB
  • $75, Big Gig Unlimited + Talk 15 GB
  • $40, Freedom 1 GB
  • $90, Big Gig Unlimited + Talk 10 GB Canada - U.S.
Seems like the other option for new subscribers isn't available for me to change my current plan to, i.e. $29, 3 GB (attached).
Is it true that I cannot switch my plan to that anymore?
Thank you.
Images
  • Freedom 3 GB e.PNG
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
301 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: If the phone does not stay on LTE during a call, it's not using VoLTE.
VoLTE can take a couple days to activate on the line (it's a network feature), assuming the phone is VoLTE-capable and has VoLTE enabled in the device settings..
If call quality is good, this is something of a non-issue on your SE, as it lacks the B13 band that VoLTE gains access to on Freedom ('extended range' LTE).
VoLTE does give you access to data while on a call, if you have that need.

To troubleshoot VoLTE follow the steps in this post.
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... #p32305016
Sorry to ask you another question, but with regards to the "B13" band you mentioned, I would like to clarify if it's normally stated under"4G" or "LTE"? I am trying to ensure my Samsung Galaxy S9 has this band since I'm considering porting my Fido number to Freedom, too.
See attached screenshot, does this mean my Samsung Galaxy S9 will be able to get access to B13 band?
Thank you.
Images
  • Samsung Galaxy S9.PNG
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
301 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pjw918 wrote: It's safe to assume a hard cap on Prepaid Nationwide plan data, as has always been the case, recently confirmed by one of the posters in this thread. On all other Freedom plans over-quota data is throttled.

I asked a chat agent 2 days ago about the "Speed reduced" on the website, he said that's an error that will be corrected, and to refer to the Fair Usage Policy doc.
This is confirmed, Freedom has removed the "reduced speeds" wording from their prepaid $19/mo 1.5 GB page.
Images
  • Freedom prepaid 19 per month.PNG