[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G $55 for 20GB

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2021 6:46 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2005
581 posts
62 upvotes

[Freedom Mobile] Freedom Mobile Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G $55 for 20GB

This kind of got buried in the other boxing day deal thread for Freedom, but Freedom has reinstated the Black Friday deal for the S20 FE 5G for $55 a month on a 20 GB plan. At the beginning of "boxing week" it was $60.

Also the BYOD 20 GB plan is now $45 for 24 months with digital discount. At the beginning of "boxing week" it was 10 month credit only. This seems to be the same deal that they're using to counter the Fido deal for freedom customers.

freedom_new_year_deals.jpg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1567 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE AN S20 FE

Avoid this phone like the plague - there are touchscreen issues with the S20 FE. Every single one of these phones appears to have issues, some more than others however. The most common problems are ghost touches, and unresponsiveness/deadzones in certain parts of the screen (disappears after reboot but reappears randomly again).

PLEASE have a look at the Reddit thread here and ensure you are making an informed decision:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Galaxy_S20/com ... urce=share

Samsung has not directly acknowledged, but they have released 3 firmware updates to attempt to fix the touchscreen and none have worked. This is almost certainly a hardware issue and is isolated to the S20 FE (Fan Edition) only.

I bought two of these on Black Friday and heard about the issue shortly after. Thought it was isolated but as more reports kept running in with the slew of Black Friday purchases, I promptly returned them. Feel like I dodged a bullet. I got the standard S20 instead and it's been wonderful.

If the touchscreen issues weren't present, this would be an absolutely fantastic phone, which is rather unfortunate.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
4677 posts
2690 upvotes
CingKrab wrote:
Also the BYOD 20 GB plan is now $45 for 24 months with digital discount. At the beginning of "boxing week" it was 10 month credit only. This seems to be the same deal that they're using to counter the Fido deal for freedom customers.
Ok, so I'm not going crazy then. I'm a Rogers customer and looking at the Freedom offer for Rogers/Fido customers, but then I look at the regular plan offers and I don't see any difference between them.
Mar 1, 2020
2 posts
Got the same deal from Walmart, $55 for 20GB from Freedom with $200 Walmart gift card and free Iphone 11.
Here is the simple hack if you're willing to put in some effort.
$55 for 24 months = $1,320
$1,320-$200 (Walmart GC)= $1,120
**Sell the iPhone 11 BNIB on fb marketplace for $750 (at least)
$1,120-$750= $370
$370/24(months)= $15.4 per month for 20 GB of data.
This obviously makes the deal a BYOD and locks you in for 24 months, but for ~$15 for 20gb data is a steal.
Way better BYOD deal than what anyone else is offering atm. Enjoy!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4234 posts
1680 upvotes
Parry Sound
jacquesstrap wrote: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE AN S20 FE

Avoid this phone like the plague - there are touchscreen issues with the S20 FE. Every single one of these phones appears to have issues, some more than others however. The most common problems are ghost touches, and unresponsiveness/deadzones in certain parts of the screen (disappears after reboot but reappears randomly again).

PLEASE have a look at the Reddit thread here and ensure you are making an informed decision:

Samsung has not directly acknowledged, but they have released 3 firmware updates to attempt to fix the touchscreen and none have worked. This is almost certainly a hardware issue and is isolated to the S20 FE (Fan Edition) only.

I bought two of these on Black Friday and heard about the issue shortly after. Thought it was isolated but as more reports kept running in with the slew of Black Friday purchases, I promptly returned them. Feel like I dodged a bullet. I got the standard S20 instead and it's been wonderful.

If the touchscreen issues weren't present, this would be an absolutely fantastic phone, which is rather unfortunate.
I purchased 3 of these from Freedom. Not a single one of them has any touchscreen issue whatsoever.

I tried to replicate the issue using the same apps for testing and none of them have this problem even after a month of use.

The issue is blown way out of proportion. Majority of people affected purchased the phone very early on when it just released. For those people, most of the issue was resolved with updates.

And the only time you would really notice any issue is when you're playing fast action multi touch games like first person shooters. Most people won't even notice any problem even if their unit has the issue.

This phone made "phone of the year" by multiple publications and prominent reviewers. Specs, performance, build quality are all outstanding for the price. Don't hesitate to buy it based on a few touchscreen issues with some units early on.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Nov 26, 2020
44 posts
32 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE AN S20 FE

Typical Samsung!
I was THE BIGGEST SAMSUNG FANBOY from back in the day when iPhone started making a run of the market, but after 3 pieces of crap in a row from Samsung (one I got them replace for me like they did for all of their US customers, but wouldn't us in Canada. Another one became a fire hazard after 3 months but I cannot return it because I got it from Shoppers...and didn't have the energy to go through all the BS...).
I'm not surprised by the reports of probs with the FE.

1) S3 - Samsung replaced for US customers because of issue. Even if you modded the phone and installed custom ROMs
2) Note 4 - would not turn on if went off. You had to put it in the fridge/freezer for at least 5 mins for it to be able to turn back on. Me and 3 co-workers all bought this phone when it came out. All
4 of us had this same problem at the same EXACT time. Check xda-developers for more on this.
3) Tab A - Only after having it for 3 months...turned off and would not turn back on. Becomes too hot to touch after being plugged in for just 10 seconds. Temp seems to keep going up. UNSAFE!

I used to try my hardest to convince ppl why the should go with Samsung instead of Apple, now I just try to WARN ppl why the should NOT go for Samsung!

But I digress...sorry to hi-jack your post.
Feb 5, 2017
380 posts
384 upvotes
Vancouver
DirtySandchez wrote: Typical Samsung!
I was THE BIGGEST SAMSUNG FANBOY from back in the day when iPhone started making a run of the market, but after 3 pieces of crap in a row from Samsung (one I got them replace for me like they did for all of their US customers, but wouldn't us in Canada. Another one became a fire hazard after 3 months but I cannot return it because I got it from Shoppers...and didn't have the energy to go through all the BS...).
I'm not surprised by the reports of probs with the FE.

1) S3 - Samsung replaced for US customers because of issue. Even if you modded the phone and installed custom ROMs
2) Note 4 - would not turn on if went off. You had to put it in the fridge/freezer for at least 5 mins for it to be able to turn back on. Me and 3 co-workers all bought this phone when it came out. All
4 of us had this same problem at the same EXACT time. Check xda-developers for more on this.
3) Tab A - Only after having it for 3 months...turned off and would not turn back on. Becomes too hot to touch after being plugged in for just 10 seconds. Temp seems to keep going up. UNSAFE!

I used to try my hardest to convince ppl why the should go with Samsung instead of Apple, now I just try to WARN ppl why the should NOT go for Samsung!

But I digress...sorry to hi-jack your post.
Had S2, Note 2, S5, Note 4, S8 and now S20 FE (two of these...one for wife and myself)

Haven't had any notable issue that would turn me off from a future Samsung device
Nov 26, 2020
44 posts
32 upvotes
Yazzy88 wrote: Had S2, Note 2, S5, Note 4, S8 and now S20 FE (two of these...one for wife and myself)

Haven't had any notable issue that would turn me off from a future Samsung device
Cool!
Wish I could have said the same.

Cheers!
Feb 16, 2018
261 posts
109 upvotes
Additional discounts for those who got this deal. Message me
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1320 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
jacquesstrap wrote: Every single one of these phones appears to have issues, some more than others however.
You need to be careful throwing around false claims like that. Just because a few users on reddit are complaining is a far cry from every single phone having issues.

I am with freedom and got one of these a few months back for $0 during a promotion. I've had no issues, it's been fantastic. Still can't believe I got it for free. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Nov 26, 2020
44 posts
32 upvotes
Fox2k wrote: You need to be careful throwing around false claims like that. Just because a few users on reddit are complaining is a far cry from every single phone having issues.

I am with freedom and got one of these a few months back for $0 during a promotion. I've had no issues, it's been fantastic. Still can't believe I got it for free. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Not everyone. It doesn't happen right away.
My S3 crapped out after warranty, but I provided proof to Samsung Canada that they replaced S3 phones for Americans (even if they installed custom ROMs) because Samsung admitted there was a problem. They eventually came around because of all the proof I provided...replaced it.

My beautiful Note 4 (which I still have b/c I wanted to try to fix someday. It was a beautiful device!) crapped out just before the 1 year mark. My 3 co-workers who also bought it (and LOVED it!) all experienced the SAME catastrophic failure within weeks of each other.

Just sayin'