Jan 12, 2017
12667 posts
3429 upvotes
Scarberia
FM is doable if u have these conditions:

1)ff35off code from years ago
2)don't talk alot on the phone
3)mainly only use it for data
4)u live in the GTA or around there in the core im in scarborough, lte works fine
5) don't go inside big box buildings
6) have band 66 phone with volte and wifi calling
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 15, 2019
146 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone have experience with Freedom Mobile in Vancouver, BC? I'm not often in remote areas, so not sure how much of an issue bad signal would be if outside Metro Vancouver area.

Perhaps I'll see what offers FM will have on Black Friday, and perhaps they'll have something available for the 12 pro max.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2251 posts
1139 upvotes
GTA
Is there ever a Note in these kind of deals ? I've been with Wind aka FM since 2014 when I got my Note 3 for $700 or so outright. Changed battery couple times tried not to update software much near the end but end is near as it's time for another note to upgrade to.

Lately just seeing iPhone and new client 0 tab offers but nothing on existing for the note. Been out of the loop for a bit so maybe I missed the boat.
Aug 26, 2019
155 posts
124 upvotes
The6ix
Gangsta101 wrote: I would say yes.

Speak for yourself. I was with FM from February 2019 until last month. Signal quality was stellar. I've heard people say they missed calls, I have no experience of that.
I moved my line over to Telus last month because I could capitalize on the Multi-line discounts+Winback offer to bring my plan down to $30/25GB.

Even though I am no longer a freedom subscriber, I am not going to come in here and bad mouth them because
1. I had a reliable experience with them
2. My current plan was only possible because of the competition FM brought to the Canadian Telecom space.

If their network sucks for you, that's sad, but this isn't the case for everyone.
Why are you so bent on his opinions? Is this a one-way forum for opinions? People can have opinions, which actually can influence others' decisions. If someone says FM sucks, then it may prevent 10 other people from signing up and saving the hassle. The way you pointed out Telus seemed very bias.
Nov 30, 2016
884 posts
1121 upvotes
Mississauga
OAlton wrote: The way you pointed out Telus seemed very bias.
You're absolutely right! I am biased. Towards me!!
My experience comes first ... Would I get what I am paying for? Calls coming through, access to the internet when I need it, at a reliable speed with very little latency?
Then my pocket second: How little can I get away with paying for this?
Freedom mobile met those needs for a while - approx $45/14GB plus additional data bonuses;
And when I saw the opportunity for a better deal for myself and family - $30/25, but without international calls/SMS, I worked out which one was better for me and took it.

The problem with Freedom mobile threads on RFD is that everyone and their grandma needs to come on there and say how horrible the network is, as though they want the company burned to the ground or something.
So how about folks with recent experience of Freedom, coming on to counter that narrative, if they've got a different experience?
Like I said, Freedom has done a phenomenal job of forcing down prices in Canada. A few years ago it was unheard of to have capped data. Apart from the high phone/Data prices, the carriers gouged on people who went over their allowed data limit, with exorbitant fees.
This still happens today but is a lot less. Freedom (Wind) and mobilicity introduced the concept of unlimited data to Canada. And now more carriers have implemented that (for some plans at least) And more people are benefiting.
Next how about the fact that we can finally get more than 2GB at prices below $60? Thank Freedom mobile for that.

Oh wait, let's not forget about Absolute zero, on Flagship phones! Everyone thought those days were gone, guess what? The iphone 12 just launched, and you can walk into a FM store and pick it up for zero upfrontz plus substantial savings over a 2 year period, and a cellphone bill that doesn't increase!

Personally I believe Freedom Mobile is the most important Carrier in the country. They do a phenomenal job of keeping the Big 3 (?6) honest. And of course they're not for everyone. Lots of folks do not have access to freedom close to their homes/workplace. But then the network isn't for you.
Dec 8, 2017
459 posts
220 upvotes
I have a grandfathered plan with a friend code discount and I pay $37.50 per month. I had a great deal for iPhone 10, where I paid significantly less than retail. I am starting to see a trend now though, that they don't offer these types of phone deals for plans like mine anymore. They really want to lock you into one of their newer plans, which I don't want to do.

Am I stuck buying my new phones retail?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
bubaglobalj wrote: I have a grandfathered plan with a friend code discount and I pay $37.50 per month...
Am I stuck buying my new phones retail?
No, your plan should still qualify for a tab.

Log into your online account, choose upgrade line, select a device, Continue to Plan Options, don't change from your current plan. It will show your monthly total cost, choose Details to see the monthly tab payment and upfront payment if required.

You can also contact support, tell them which device you're interested in, ask them what your tab would be on your plan (a phone agent may need to transfer you to the upgrades team).

Normally a current in-market plan at the same pricepoint (after $5 DD) will reflect the tab you can expect on your grandfathered plan (before F&F discount). So you can do a quick check without logging in (continue as guest).

Absolute $0 pricing is only available to in-market Big Gig Unlimited plans.

Not offering the same level of subsidy on a grandfathered plan is standard in the industry, but Freedom generally does (excepting Absolute $0).
-
Last edited by pjw918 on Oct 24th, 2020 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 7, 2004
303 posts
134 upvotes
Ambushes wrote: if you're frustrated with Fido's signal reception I don't think switching to Freedom is going to do you any favors
I actully have a friend who gets better signal in his house then FIDO. I would say in most case FIDO is better but you never know until you try.
( TELUS = Koodo = Public > CMLink ) ( ROGERS = Fido = Chatr > Zoomer = Cityfone > 7-Eleven = Petro Canada ) ( BELL = Virgin = Lucky > President Choice ) ( SHAW = Freedom ) Listed by network not ranking.
Mar 9, 2009
273 posts
98 upvotes
Yep. I also had better signal than Koodo at my 11th floor condo. Finally switched that Koodo line over to Freedom for the iphone 11 deal.
Images
  • 0C216317-81EE-4C11-B8A5-0A98D3B16B91.jpeg
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1077 posts
491 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: You're absolutely right! I am biased. Towards me!!
My experience comes first ... Would I get what I am paying for? Calls coming through, access to the internet when I need it, at a reliable speed with very little latency?
Freedom mobile met those needs for a while - approx $45/14GB plus additional data bonuses;
And when I saw the opportunity for a better deal for myself and family - $30/25, but without international calls/SMS, I worked out which one was better for me and took it.

The problem with Freedom mobile threads on RFD is that everyone and their grandma needs to come on there and say how horrible the network is, as though they want the company burned to the ground or something.
So how about folks with recent experience of Freedom, coming on to counter that narrative, if they've got a different experience?
Like I said, Freedom has done a phenomenal job of forcing down prices in Canada. A few years ago it was unheard of to have capped data. Apart from the high phone/Data prices, the carriers gouged on people who went over their allowed data limit, with exorbitant fees.
This still happens today but is a lot less. Freedom (Wind) and mobilicity introduced the concept of unlimited data to Canada. And now more carriers have implemented that (for some plans at least) And more people are benefiting.
Next how about the fact that we can finally get more than 2GB at prices below $60? Thank Freedom mobile for that.

Oh wait, let's not forget about Absolute zero, on Flagship phones! Everyone thought those days were gone, guess what? The iphone 12 just launched, and you can walk into a FM store and pick it up for zero upfrontz plus substantial savings over a 2 year period, and a cellphone bill that doesn't increase!

Personally I believe Freedom Mobile is the most important Carrier in the country. They do a phenomenal job of keeping the Big 3 (?6) honest. And of course they're not for everyone. Lots of folks do not have access to freedom close to their homes/workplace. But then the network isn't for you.
+1
That's the ongoing damage to the brand caused by a poor combination of business plan and politics. I knew only two people who used Wind back then. One was in uni but the other was just a cheapo. Trying to talk with them was a disaster. It's hard to go back to the one that "done ya wrong". All I can say is, "this ain't your grandma's Wind anymore".

edit: grammar
Aug 26, 2019
155 posts
124 upvotes
The6ix
Gangsta101 wrote: You're absolutely right! I am biased. Towards me!!

Why do I care? I'm simply pointing out that you were putting the other poster down for putting FM down. You're contradicting yourself.
Dec 23, 2011
151 posts
92 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
ive been using freedom mobile since 4+ years. first two years were horrible, missed calls, dropped calls, basement had no network. had to use wifi calling in the house all the time. Location: Scarborough, Toronto
since the past 2 years its been awesome not sure what they did, i get 4 LTE bars in the house, i use Voice over LTE now, i turned my wifi calling off. even in the basement i get 2 LTE bars.

Good thing about freedom is, when i traveled to banff, jasper and all places, i didnt get network on my telus phone, but guess what? my plan has some nationwide data, so i was able to connect to rogers/bell networks and use my data for free upto certain limit when outside of freedom zone.

Anyways point is, since 2018+ the network is good, i have the 35% FNF discount + 5$ digital discount, I pay 37.25$ for a 10GB Plan + 4GB bonus, + 10gb recently i got added for free so i have 24GB for 38$ a month.
calls are good, Data is good, speed is good..

EDIT: my family uses different networks, we have fido/rogers/telus/koodo in the house. Freedom for me works as same as any other companies. also when im driving and traveling to different provinces. freedom constantly kept the network, it would connect to either rogers/bell/telus network where ever i went. its free upto 1gb on my plan so im ok.