Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Freedom Mobile

[Ends Oct 5] Nationwide Unlimited Talk & Text - $99/year prepaid

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 4:37 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: I called the phone help line and was told I had to go to a physical store to sign up. I can not sign up using phone or online. I live in Sask. and there is no store here. I was told by the phone agent to go to Alberta store to sign up. Is that correct?
If you live in an area without FM coverage, they don't want you as a customer since you'd always be on the nationwide network costing them money.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6151 upvotes
repatch wrote: If you live in an area without FM coverage, they don't want you as a customer since you'd always be on the nationwide network costing them money.
Really? It is like anyone can get a driver license. but I have heard that it is so expensive in some provinces for young people.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Really? It is like anyone can get a driver license. but I have heard that it is so expensive in some provinces for young people.
I don't understand what you are saying.

As for what I'm saying: FM doesn't want customers outside their coverage area. The reason is every call, every MB on the 'nationwide' network is dollars going from FM into the pockets of the big3 networks. That is not sustainable.

In fact, FM, in MOST of their agreements, has stipulations about usage of the nationwide network, and if you use too much of it they have the right to withdraw service (in cases where it isn't pay per use, or capped usage of course).
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6151 upvotes
repatch wrote: I don't understand what you are saying.

As for what I'm saying: FM doesn't want customers outside their coverage area. The reason is every call, every MB on the 'nationwide' network is dollars going from FM into the pockets of the big3 networks. That is not sustainable.

In fact, FM, in MOST of their agreements, has stipulations about usage of the nationwide network, and if you use too much of it they have the right to withdraw service (in cases where it isn't pay per use, or capped usage of course).
If what you said is true, then it is a disincentive to offer the service to people like me such that it is difficult to get it(I.e. I have to go a Alberta store to signup). They can just state that we don’t offer the service to people in Sask.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
My wife was with their unlimited talk and text prepaid plan last year, most of her incoming calls will go to voice mail unless she turn off her Samsung A8 LTE function. Freedom support can not fix it. By the way tried her A8 with my PM $10 plan (50 talk and text) and no such problem.
Aug 30, 2012
184 posts
96 upvotes
no need to go to physical store to sign up if none in your area. Buy sim card online from https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collec ... m-sim-card for example. Sign up online if you can provide address in Freedom area (using friends /relatives),ask for activation to be waived and complete payment for plan using online banking rather than credit card. Don't bother to ask for porting of a number from non Freedom area such as Saskatchewan as this wont happen.Might lose service plan after three months of using service in non freedom zone such as Saskatchewan ,might not. no refunds
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: If what you said is true, then it is a disincentive to offer the service to people like me such that it is difficult to get it(I.e. I have to go a Alberta store to signup). They can just state that we don’t offer the service to people in Sask.
They don't really offer it to you. Try and sign up with a Sask number and address? They'll tell you we don't cover Sask and can't offer you service.

Not sure what more you expect or want

WHY would you sign up for a carrier that doesn't cover your area anyways? It makes no sense. Am I trying to sign up for Videotron service even though I live in Ontario? Umm, no.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
Rather than scrolling 85 pages I’ll ask about the 199/yr plan that has 5gb data. Is it capped at 5gb or does the speed slow down after 5gb?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1834 posts
4037 upvotes
apvm wrote: My wife was with their unlimited talk and text prepaid plan last year, most of her incoming calls will go to voice mail unless she turn off her Samsung A8 LTE function.
Her A8 was originally from which provider? Koodo?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1834 posts
4037 upvotes
sks8100 wrote: Rather than scrolling 85 pages I’ll ask about the 199/yr plan that has 5gb data. Is it capped at 5gb or does the speed slow down after 5gb?
It's been reported that data will continue at a throttled speed, though we've yet to see confirmation from a user on that plan.
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... #p32740113

Normally the data on Nationwide Prepaid plans stops when you hit quota (and will certainly stop if it's a one-time pass), as Freedom is billed $14/GB by RBT for data used on their networks.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
Does anybody know if this works with an iPhone 7 or 8 +?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
sks8100 wrote: Does anybody know if this works with an iPhone 7 or 8 +?
Yes it does
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5028 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
cessnabmw wrote: I have my kid on the Public Mobile $13 plan (after autopay discount). 100 mins and unlimited text (bonus 250mb data). Works out to $156 + tax per year). Kid hardly even uses the phone.

I guess I could port her over to plan and save quite a bit and get her unlimited calling (no data).
I did that with both of my kids. It's like a BOGO. Only issue is that they need data on to get MMS messages. Didn't need to with Koodo
Jul 14, 2019
226 posts
251 upvotes
My billing cycle is end of month with Fido, best time is to port my number before August 31? How long will this take? Want to make sure I dont get charged for another month. Undecided between Freedom and Public Mobile.
Mar 31, 2008
834 posts
560 upvotes
Edmonton
WaiL76513 wrote: My billing cycle is end of month with Fido, best time is to port my number before August 31? How long will this take? Want to make sure I dont get charged for another month. Undecided between Freedom and Public Mobile.
I ported 2 lines, first line took 45 minutes (from Rogers) and about an hour for the second line (from Speakout). After I got the message that the porting was complete, I did have an issue getting the ported phone number to download to the iPhone. But was solved by texting to reset the sim.

I just ported my main line to Koodo (from Rogers) on Friday and that was really quick.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
I had asked if anyone was able to get the $19 a month prepaid plan with 1.5g data if they had already the $99 nationwide talk and text plan. I did not see any replies so I contacted Freedom through chat.

Took about 30 minutes for a human to reply.

The $19 monthly plan is for new customers only. I got mine a month ago so no go.

Post if anyone was able to switch.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
pjw918 wrote: Her A8 was originally from which provider? Koodo?
Yes, A8 from Koodo. LG G5 from Rogers and LG G6 from Fido, same problem. Nonetheless, disabling LTE is not a big problem with this plan since it does not come with any data. I suspect it will not be a problem if with Freedom plan with data.
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
I signed up for this, it was fairly easy to do. Nice to just pay a 1 time fee and not have to worry about anything until next summer again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)