Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 3:16 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

Went to Freedom Mobile to get my elderly mother signed up for a simple, talk/text/data plan (plan is likely not suitable for those who expect perfect coverage and use lots of data).

Our original plan was to do the Freedom 250MB since she stays local, travels only within major suburban/urban areas and her primary data uses are for WhatsApp and social media. The worry of poor reception was minuscule for her since her world won't fall apart just because her internet lags out or she loses reception momentarily. Can't say the same for myself...

Data 250MB of Fast LTE (Freedom Network)

Talk (Freedom Nationwide)
100 min of calls to Canada
Unlimited incoming calls

Text (Freedom Nationwide)
Unlimited text, picture, and video messaging to Canada and the U.S.
Unlimited global picture and video messaging

Additional Plan Features (Freedom Nationwide)
Voicemail+
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
Access to Freedom Wi-Fi Hotspots in Western Canada
$0.15/min. for extra minutes of calls to Canada
Standard long-distance rates apply for calls to the U.S. and other international destinations
$0.05/text for international text messages

Cost would have been $15 after -$5 from digital discount (full price $20) per month.

They of course tried to talk me up to the next tier for 500MB w/ unlimited talk/text - but because Freedom throttles after data limits and my mom won't even do 100mins/month, we didn't care much for it. WhatsApp and social media would work perfectly fine on even throttled speeds. After some discussion, the rep offered a sweeter deal... a $29 plan but with a $10/mo discount. So for an extra $4/mo ($19/mo) from our original plan, we got...

For this specific plan, they deepened the digital discount to $10/mo instead. I went to the portal to confirm the auto-pay amount.

I'm told the promo doesn't expire as long as we don't otherwise modify our plan. I did a search to see if this would be a repost, but couldn't find it... welcome to yell at me if it exists. I did see another $19 plan offered in another thread, but the conditions were different. This would have normally been the $24 (after discount) plan, I believe with an extra $5/off per month stacked on top. I don't have the details as to the availability of this, so I marked it YMMV for now unless someone can confirm.
108 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2574 posts
1782 upvotes
That's pretty good ... I am on the $15 plan now .....but $19 is worth it
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1324 posts
318 upvotes
BC
did you call or get this in-store OP?
"Shorty wanna be a thug" -2pac
Sep 10, 2018
94 posts
401 upvotes
This seems to be their standard 29/mo "Prepaid" plan with just $10 digital discount instead of $5.

One crappy side is it charges $1.50/min for US calling but otherwise OK. Also none of add ons such as roaming seem to work with these prepaid plans.

They got Pay After, Pay Before, Prepaid which are all too confusing.
Feb 6, 2016
392 posts
272 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
it could be the 5$ off for 6 months or for 3 months only, if you want to be sure call 611 and ask them if there is expiry date for the additional discount
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton
pongster wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:29 pm
That's pretty good ... I am on the $15 plan now .....but $19 is worth it
If you hit your 250MB and don't want the cap or want more than 100mins, might be worth the upgrade if you can grab it!
2Sedins1Cup wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:33 pm
did you call or get this in-store OP?
In-store, live within 5-minutes walking distance, so I didn't feel like doing it over the phone... plus, as a new sign-up for my mom, we had to get the SIM.
LULUMON wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:35 pm
This seems to be their standard 29/mo "Prepaid" plan with just $10 digital discount instead of $5.

One crappy side is it charges $1.50/min for US calling but otherwise OK. Also none of add ons such as roaming seem to work with these prepaid plans.

They got Pay After, Pay Before, Prepaid which are all too confusing.
Yes, it does appear to be that. Here's the list of available add-ons. None of these were a make-it-or-break-it situation for our particular use-case.

There's also a $15 1GB data pass and under FEATURES US Roaming, International Roaming, and International Calling that we can optionally enable.
hagopb wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:38 pm
it could be the 5$ off for 6 months or for 3 months only, if you want to be sure call 611 and ask them if there is expiry date for the additional discount
I was not under the impression after several confirmations from the rep that the discount was time-limited and if it does, I'll just drop to the $15 offer.
Jun 1, 2002
513 posts
52 upvotes
Would love to know if this is a one-off. Not even sure how to go about trying to get it. It would be nice to pay $5/month less for this plan!
Nov 26, 2015
607 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I can see on their website that 5$ digital discount dont see 10$ discount for auto pay?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton
krnmeraiya wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 1:25 pm
I can see on their website that 5$ digital discount dont see 10$ discount for auto pay?
That's why I marked as YMMV only because I don't know if this was something they'd easily offered, particular location, particular manager, etc. It was not very hard though I admit. They only offered me a higher tier once and then when I rejected, immediately proposed this plan since I mentioned that the 100mins/250MB was not something we were particularly concerned about. I think this is best done in-stores because the representative taking care of us was very cordial and forthcoming. The $10 autopay discount is not available online and was something they had to do instore for me. She specifically mentioned it was still a base $5 discount for digital pay plus a promotion -$5/mo for a total of $10 off per month from the base cost.
Phantom wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:58 pm
Would love to know if this is a one-off. Not even sure how to go about trying to get it. It would be nice to pay $5/month less for this plan!
Visit your nearby store and maybe quote the promo highlights along with specifying a $10 monthly discount, or even include the snapshot of the autopay image:
May 14, 2008
4 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
I got hooked into this 2 months ago looking for a plan for my daughter. Same Deal $29/month - $5 digital discount - $5 promo. I was told by the rep that the $5+5 would apply every month, but this only applied to the first month. The next month my daughters phone was restricted access because the autopay amount was not sufficient to cover the plan. I called and told them there should be both credits to which the phone rep said the $5 promo was only for the first month. The phone rep. was kind enough to offer an additional $5/month off for 3 months but that's it. After the 3 months is up....I go back to $29-$5 (Auto pay) = $24. Still a good plan...but not as advertised by the sales rep.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
106 posts
193 upvotes
Hamilton
bulletproof_md wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 3:12 pm
I got hooked into this 2 months ago looking for a plan for my daughter. Same Deal $29/month - $5 digital discount - $5 promo. I was told by the rep that the $5+5 would apply every month, but this only applied to the first month. The next month my daughters phone was restricted access because the autopay amount was not sufficient to cover the plan. I called and told them there should be both credits to which the phone rep said the $5 promo was only for the first month. The phone rep. was kind enough to offer an additional $5/month off for 3 months but that's it. After the 3 months is up....I go back to $29-$5 (Auto pay) = $24. Still a good plan...but not as advertised by the sales rep.
Thanks for the info, I think with this new information, I might do some inquiring with them. Certainly won't deter me from using the promo for now and just change it later if they decide to change their terms. Good thing the store is close to me!
Oct 11, 2009
238 posts
203 upvotes
BC
$19 1.5G plan a month is very good deal! I will visit them tomorrow, see if I can open one or transfer one of my PM line to there. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2553 posts
2960 upvotes
Afaik the second $5 discount is only for 3 months. Also with the “prepaid” plans, data does not throttle after its used up. It just stops
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1886 posts
877 upvotes
GTA
Friend of mine is still on Freedom since the Wind days; FYI, his picture message never works.
¸

- - - - -
;)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)