Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 6:44 am
Oct 27, 2013
4 posts
Edmonton
bulletproof_md wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 3:12 pm
I got hooked into this 2 months ago looking for a plan for my daughter. Same Deal $29/month - $5 digital discount - $5 promo. I was told by the rep that the $5+5 would apply every month, but this only applied to the first month. The next month my daughters phone was restricted access because the autopay amount was not sufficient to cover the plan. I called and told them there should be both credits to which the phone rep said the $5 promo was only for the first month. The phone rep. was kind enough to offer an additional $5/month off for 3 months but that's it. After the 3 months is up....I go back to $29-$5 (Auto pay) = $24. Still a good plan...but not as advertised by the sales rep.
exactly same experience here.
Oct 14, 2017
594 posts
401 upvotes
DragOnT wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:24 pm
Friend of mine is still on Freedom since the Wind days; FYI, his picture message never works.
Yeah I had the same issue but now I just turn my mobile data on and off and picture messaging works.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1480 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa
DragOnT wrote:
Friend of mine is still on Freedom since the Wind days; FYI, his picture message never works.
Did he setup his MMS APN?
Oct 28, 2012
348 posts
104 upvotes
Ajax, ON
DragOnT wrote:
Might be one of the old plans, like the Back To School plans that did not include picture messages. Sucked at first, had to use email to send photos. But now with WhatsApp, problem solved.

I don't think just turn data off then on will have any impact.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
107 posts
194 upvotes
Hamilton
NavieM wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:06 pm
Afaik the second $5 discount is only for 3 months. Also with the “prepaid” plans, data does not throttle after its used up. It just stops
Well, I guess we'll find out if we ever hit that cap, but it's pretty clear on my portal, unless they're straight-up lying on their own dashboard...
rtu.png

I did refer to Appendix C which is where I see references about data throttling versus straight cut-off, I'll inquire further in the store when I get there to the exact provisions.
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:42 pm
*ederly mother* She needs to make an emergency call but..............................no signal.
There's always this.... https://www.lifeline.ca/en/
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1185 posts
783 upvotes
Considering that the Freedom “nationwide” network is inclusive of domestic roaming (this is with data too right? Not just restricted to Freedom’s network right?), this is a good deal!

I would switch over... but I’m currently subscribed to Public Mobile on the $15 plan. I owe $8/mo after referral and autopay discount, but I have enough balance to cover another eight or so months of usage... which could extend if they run the $25 referral credit promo again.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3323 posts
1984 upvotes
Vancouver
Talked to a rep since this would be an ideal plan for my mom too (probably the perfect elder mom plan lol). Rep said the promo price is for one month then its $24 with auto pay and $29 without.

$24 still isnt bad since she needs about 500-1gb a month mostly to share photo with her group of friends.
Nov 5, 2012
10 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
xkaliber wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:10 pm
I'm told the promo doesn't expire as long as we don't otherwise modify our plan.
Rogers said the same thing. They even had it printed on their paper ad. As long as I don't change my plan, they would never change my $60/10GB plan forever. 12 months later they sent me an email telling me that the price is going up by $5/mo. I complained and reminded them about the printed ad. Lo and behold, those scumbags "reminded" me to look again at the fine prints that says if I'm not in a contract, they can change the pricing as long as they give me a 30 days notice. I cancelled the next day. Same goes for all providers.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
107 posts
194 upvotes
Hamilton
kaliyanto wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:01 pm
Rogers said the same thing. They even had it printed on their paper ad. As long as I don't change my plan, they would never change my $60/10GB plan forever. 12 months later they sent me an email telling me that the price is going up by $5/mo. I complained and reminded them about the printed ad. Lo and behold, those scumbags "reminded" me to look again at the fine prints that says if I'm not in a contract, they can change the pricing as long as they give me a 30 days notice. I cancelled the next day. Same goes for all providers.
Because this is a low-needs situation, I'm less anal about it than say... if it was for my use I'd be more diligent in getting every detail. If they were to change terms or price on me, I'd just drop it to the lowest tier which would still afford us 250MB and 100mins. I'd concur with you that any provider can make a change on a whim, you hear about it all the time whether you have anything in writing or not. We'll milk what we can for now and deal with it when it happens, haha.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2616 posts
3045 upvotes
xkaliber wrote: Well, I guess we'll find out if we ever hit that cap, but it's pretty clear on my portal, unless they're straight-up lying on their own dashboard...
rtu.png

I did refer to Appendix C which is where I see references about data throttling versus straight cut-off, I'll inquire further in the store when I get there to the exact provisions.
There's always this.... https://www.lifeline.ca/en/
Hm weird. My freedom rep said it stops for the new prepaid plans. Well if it keeps going, even better
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1964 posts
1005 upvotes
GTA
Just a word of warning for anyone contemplating Freedom Mobile... If things work, they are "OK" . If ANYTHING is wrong, you are SOL. They do not/will not/cannot help. I actually made the mistake of calling them because I wanted clarification on my bill. What they ended up doing is screwing up my online account. After numerous calls to them and constant promises of someone calling me back to fix the problem... Nothing. Yes, absolutely nothing and it's now going on 3 months. I am cancelling with them this week but "luckily" their service is garbage anyway so I'm not exactly losing much. Good riddance to their indifference attitude and constant broken promises. All I can say is you've been warned and there's a reason why they are cheap.
Nov 23, 2012
378 posts
192 upvotes
Sherbrooke, Qc
DragOnT wrote:
You mean mms don't work?
Jun 1, 2002
515 posts
53 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:14 pm
Hm weird. My freedom rep said it stops for the new prepaid plans. Well if it keeps going, even better
Mine said the same thing, but I tested it out, and the data definitely stops once you hit the cap. And yes, my account also says that “data will be slowed.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
8535 posts
2004 upvotes
Scarberia
Can u stack the ff35 code on this. Or is this with the 35off applied already tia
*SIG: Ryzen™ R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @39.99$
https://valid.x86.fr/f3xr98