Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 6:44 am
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3338 posts
1989 upvotes
Vancouver
mikka2017 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 8:36 pm
Can u stack the ff35 code on this. Or is this with the 35off applied already tia
No, FF35 code requires $40+ plans.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1040 posts
414 upvotes
kaliyanto wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:01 pm
Rogers said the same thing. They even had it printed on their paper ad. As long as I don't change my plan, they would never change my $60/10GB plan forever. 12 months later they sent me an email telling me that the price is going up by $5/mo. I complained and reminded them about the printed ad. Lo and behold, those scumbags "reminded" me to look again at the fine prints that says if I'm not in a contract, they can change the pricing as long as they give me a 30 days notice. I cancelled the next day. Same goes for all providers.
Trusting / believing Rogers was the first mistake
Bell Loyalty (or unloyalty) could only offer me a plan that was MORE than my pretty bad current plan $55/2GB Boyd ... 15 year customer... bye Bell. Hello Koodo and public mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3205 posts
2952 upvotes
Vancouver
Britex wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:28 pm
Just a word of warning for anyone contemplating Freedom Mobile... If things work, they are "OK" . If ANYTHING is wrong, you are SOL. They do not/will not/cannot help. I actually made the mistake of calling them because I wanted clarification on my bill. What they ended up doing is screwing up my online account. After numerous calls to them and constant promises of someone calling me back to fix the problem... Nothing. Yes, absolutely nothing and it's now going on 3 months. I am cancelling with them this week but "luckily" their service is garbage anyway so I'm not exactly losing much. Good riddance to their indifference attitude and constant broken promises. All I can say is you've been warned and there's a reason why they are cheap.
"YMMV"

Works like a charm for some of us... Just sayin'...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3205 posts
2952 upvotes
Vancouver
DragOnT wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:24 pm
Friend of mine is still on Freedom since the Wind days; FYI, his picture message never works.
It requires a use of data to work...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Oct 28, 2015
182 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
taskmasta wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:41 pm
Might be one of the old plans, like the Back To School plans that did not include picture messages. Sucked at first, had to use email to send photos. But now with WhatsApp, problem solved.

I don't think just turn data off then on will have any impact.
I have the Back To School plan. I can send / receive MMS no problem...
Oct 28, 2012
348 posts
104 upvotes
Ajax, ON
tourmaline wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 11:32 pm
I have the Back To School plan. I can send / receive MMS no problem...
Good point. What I should have said is that it works, but was/is at extra cost and not included in the plan.
Dec 28, 2015
65 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:42 pm
*ederly mother* She needs to make an emergency call but..............................no signal.
Wouldn't 911 just use Rogers/Telus/Bell in that case...?
Oct 28, 2015
182 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
taskmasta wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:52 am
Good point. What I should have said is that it works, but was/is at extra cost and not included in the plan.
Yeah, I have been charged for MMS in the past. But I noticed that in this year I haven't been charged any cents for MMS ...
May 16, 2017
239 posts
90 upvotes
this is such a garbage company, if u value decent connections and reliability avoid them like the plague.
Aug 11, 2017
507 posts
286 upvotes
slash407 wrote: this is such a garbage company, if u value decent connections and reliability avoid them like the plague.
Which company do you recommend for the value of the plan?
Sep 13, 2011
114 posts
10 upvotes
Is there anyone in the Halifax area using Freedom? I am curious how the coverage and service is.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
107 posts
194 upvotes
Hamilton
Landon99 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 6:11 am
Which company do you recommend for the value of the plan?
That's my thought process as well - My expectations are set towards the level of service or degree of features available to me at a given price. I believe the adage of "you get what you pay for" will always hold true and I'm always happy to lower my expectations if I know something I'm getting is of reasonable value and I'm not paying lots for it. Dealing with a customer-service faux pas or service disruption once in a while is something we feel is acceptable for the price. If we wanted flawless connectivity and the best data buckets available, Freedom would certainly not have been our choice. We're happy to make sacrifices in the right places. The only other place we'd consider for my mom's specific use-case is Chatr, but even then, those prices are still higher than this plan's price. Let's just say that they won't keep the $10 deeper discount and that the plan goes back to $24/mo - again, I cannot find another plan of comparable value at that price. I'd be very happy if someone has insight on another offer with similar terms at this price range, I don't ever mind jumping ship.
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
I also agree, My wife has been on Freedom for over 2 years and we haven't had any issues. We even moved my father over to it after he was paying $55 a month to Telus for basic phone plan with only a flip phone he uses. Now on Freedom he pays $25 for unlimited talk. Most people will argue what if you aren't in the coverage area as my dad also suggested. Well you need to take everything into account, how often are you not in the coverage area where you are paying a few cents per minute? In the end if you calculate your usage you will always come out on top with a cheaper phone plan such Freedom. Not to mention if there was a large migration of people leaving the big 3 they would be forced to lower their cell phone prices as we pay the highest in developed world.

On another note I tried to see if I could get this $19 plan as I am already on Freedom with no contract they didn't offer it to me over the phone as I would need to move from monthly billing to Pay and Talk. They did however offer their monthly $30 plan with the $5 off for autopay but also gave me 2GB extra of data on top of the 500MB included in the plan. That's similar to the plan you signed up for with unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data for $25 is not too bad of deal.