Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 5:44 pm
Nov 26, 2013
6 posts
15 upvotes
Calgary
I also agree, My wife has been on Freedom for over 2 years and we haven't had any issues. We even moved my father over to it after he was paying $55 a month to Telus for basic phone plan with only a flip phone he uses. Now on Freedom he pays $25 for unlimited talk. Most people will argue what if you aren't in the coverage area as my dad also suggested. Well you need to take everything into account, how often are you not in the coverage area where you are paying a few cents per minute? In the end if you calculate your usage you will always come out on top with a cheaper phone plan such Freedom. Not to mention if there was a large migration of people leaving the big 3 they would be forced to lower their cell phone prices as we pay the highest in developed world.

On another note I tried to see if I could get this $19 plan as I am already on Freedom with no contract they didn't offer it to me over the phone as I would need to move from monthly billing to Pay and Talk. They did however offer their monthly $30 plan with the $5 off for autopay but also gave me 2GB extra of data on top of the 500MB included in the plan. That's similar to the plan you signed up for with unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data for $25 is not too bad of deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2695 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver
slash407 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 5:40 am
this is such a garbage company, if u value decent connections and reliability avoid them like the plague.
Nope.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Mar 23, 2019
41 posts
25 upvotes
xkaliber wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:30 am
That's my thought process as well - My expectations are set towards the level of service or degree of features available to me at a given price. I believe the adage of "you get what you pay for" will always hold true and I'm always happy to lower my expectations if I know something I'm getting is of reasonable value and I'm not paying lots for it. Dealing with a customer-service faux pas or service disruption once in a while is something we feel is acceptable for the price. If we wanted flawless connectivity and the best data buckets available, Freedom would certainly not have been our choice. We're happy to make sacrifices in the right places. The only other place we'd consider for my mom's specific use-case is Chatr, but even then, those prices are still higher than this plan's price. Let's just say that they won't keep the $10 deeper discount and that the plan goes back to $24/mo - again, I cannot find another plan of comparable value at that price. I'd be very happy if someone has insight on another offer with similar terms at this price range, I don't ever mind jumping ship.
slider12 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 10:32 am
I also agree, My wife has been on Freedom for over 2 years and we haven't had any issues. We even moved my father over to it after he was paying $55 a month to Telus for basic phone plan with only a flip phone he uses. Now on Freedom he pays $25 for unlimited talk. Most people will argue what if you aren't in the coverage area as my dad also suggested. Well you need to take everything into account, how often are you not in the coverage area where you are paying a few cents per minute? In the end if you calculate your usage you will always come out on top with a cheaper phone plan such Freedom. Not to mention if there was a large migration of people leaving the big 3 they would be forced to lower their cell phone prices as we pay the highest in developed world.

On another note I tried to see if I could get this $19 plan as I am already on Freedom with no contract they didn't offer it to me over the phone as I would need to move from monthly billing to Pay and Talk. They did however offer their monthly $30 plan with the $5 off for autopay but also gave me 2GB extra of data on top of the 500MB included in the plan. That's similar to the plan you signed up for with unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data for $25 is not too bad of deal.
Same. I signed up last August as I was starting school and finally got to upgrade my plan. Since then I changed over to the Promo Everywhere 60 with my F&F and then both my parents even switched recently to the same plan. It's definitely worth what we pay for it and it will just keep getting better and better.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1832 posts
279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Freedom Mobile is nice option if you are covered in the right area.
Jun 6, 2009
510 posts
69 upvotes
Tempting for $19. Public Mobile is shitting the bed right now for me (service inactive; account website down so can't figure troubleshoot a payment issue)..
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
104 posts
183 upvotes
Hamilton
KDSet wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:38 pm
Tempting for $19. Public Mobile is shitting the bed right now for me (service inactive; account website down so can't figure troubleshoot a payment issue)..
Even at the (assumed) $24 that it'll return to at some point if what everyone is saying is correct, it's still value-deal for me unless I can find something else. I am still going to go to the store to clarify all the details and see whether I want to go down to the 250/500 if they can't offer something nice.
Nov 26, 2015
592 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What should I tell rep as they told me 29$ plan -5$ digital discount...what should I tell them to give 10$ digital discount?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1686 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Freedom's LTE is useless if your phone does not support Band 66. The overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support.
Feb 6, 2013
450 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
torontokris wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:16 pm
Trusting / believing Rogers was the first mistake
Trusting / believing in any providers is the first mistake.
Sep 13, 2007
43 posts
13 upvotes
vancouver
$19 is only for the first month. Regular is $29/mo for 1.5GB on home network less $5 for automatic payment = $24/mo after first month.
Jun 6, 2009
510 posts
69 upvotes
No reps both in-store and online are able to get/apply the $19/Month rate, even if only for a month.. it's too bad since Freedom Mobile can't possibly be any worse than Public Mobile with their ridiculous billing issue (resulting in no service) and near-total lack of support.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4729 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
tourmaline wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 4:05 am
Yeah, I have been charged for MMS in the past. But I noticed that in this year I haven't been charged any cents for MMS ...
I am still being charged for mms
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6945 posts
1576 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:42 pm
Freedom's LTE is useless if your phone does not support Band 66. The overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support.
That cheap umidigi a5 pro for 120$ has it B66 band
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:42 pm
Are you certain about the band 66 issue? Didn’t they recently shift a lot to other bands? Maybe it depends on where you live? In any case, there seems to be varying opinions on the necessity for band 66 support to have a good Freedom Mobile experience.
Last edited by pmcd on Jun 12th, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13112 posts
1457 upvotes
Mississauga
KDSet wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 6:42 pm
No reps both in-store and online are able to get/apply the $19/Month rate, even if only for a month.. it's too bad since Freedom Mobile can't possibly be any worse than Public Mobile with their ridiculous billing issue (resulting in no service) and near-total lack of support.
Go to chatr or lucky