Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 5:44 pm
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1254 posts
285 upvotes
BC
has anyone been able to get this plan aside from OP?!
"Shorty wanna be a thug" -2pac
Oct 28, 2009
77 posts
38 upvotes
Burnaby,BC
I went to the store last evening, no luck.
Nov 26, 2013
6 posts
15 upvotes
Calgary
I also tried to see if I could get this $19 plan as I am already on Freedom with no contract but they didn't offer it to me. They did however offer their monthly $30 plan with the $5 off for autopay but also gave me 2GB extra of data on top of the 500MB included in the plan. That's similar to the Pay and Talk plan the OP signed up for with unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data for $25 is not too bad of deal. They may be more willing to give you this one.
I should note I was already with Freedom with no contract that I just signed up for only two weeks ago on their $15 a month plan ($20 - $5 for autopay) and to keep me from switching to their Pay and Talk plan they offered me this loyalty deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2695 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver
weedb0y wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:00 am
Go to chatr or lucky
Why? They serve free coffee?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2695 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:42 pm
Freedom's LTE is useless if your phone does not support Band 66. The overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support.
Hmmm... no, not really...

If you take a deeper look, you might find out that there are lot of areas across Canada covered by Freedom LTE on different Bands. Some of these [like B7 in Vancouver] are not even documented. So some cheappo phone could work miracles if you live in the right place... Also, they are going for "nation-wide" coverage as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3358 posts
1368 upvotes
Ontario
I'm looking for a plan for my son. Since we, the parents, are going to be paying for it (I'd sooner he have no phone, but then I'd be cruel apparently).

This seems like a good plan for the price. Since Freedom is vexing some people, I'm all open to suggestions of alternatives that would give the text/talk and at least 1GB for equal or less, be it chatr, lucky, public, noncrappymobile)

There's a thumbs up in it for someone who points me in a different direction.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2695 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver
TCWeasel wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 12:54 am
I'm looking for a plan for my son. Since we, the parents, are going to be paying for it (I'd sooner he have no phone, but then I'd be cruel apparently).

This seems like a good plan for the price. Since Freedom is vexing some people, I'm all open to suggestions of alternatives that would give the text/talk and at least 1GB for equal or less, be it chatr, lucky, public, noncrappymobile)

There's a thumbs up in it for someone who points me in a different direction.
You, obviously, did your homework and listed this plan, also alternatives...

So it all now depends on analyzing your needs, as well as Freedom coverage in your area if you decide to take that road...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7956 posts
3139 upvotes
East York
Can you combine with family discount? With having several lines on the same account?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
For Toronto users, how would the Freedom $24 plan (1.5 gig LTE) compare to Public Mobiles’ $24 (1 gig LTE capped at 3 mbs)? I am currently with PM, and it works fine, but the $23 every 30 days is $280 a year vs $288 a year for FM so they are essentially $24 plans). I use both a Samsung S7 ( from Rogers) and an iPhone 6S. Neither has band 66 but then FM seems to have LTE bands 4, 7, 13, etc... in Toronto.

Does anywhere provide a free SIM card for FM?
May 20, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:42 pm
Freedom's LTE is useless if your phone does not support Band 66. The overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support.
It seems anything at least 2-years old (iPhone 8) supports this "Band 66". Can you provide some data on why this band is so important compared to other LTE bands?

I have a 6s which does not have this band, but my SpeedTests on 3G got around 2Mbps before they upgraded. With LTE, I get around 14Mbps.

What are non-Freedom users getting for LTE speeds and more specifically, what are newer phones supporting this band 66 getting - does it double the speeds and make it time to upgrade phones?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6945 posts
1576 upvotes
i have 10gb LTE plan with FM, once u reach 10gb , data is basically useless after, its like being on dialup, throttleAF, too much raptors streaming IPTv Used up data fast
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
104 posts
183 upvotes
Hamilton
max011 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 1:39 am
You, obviously, did your homework and listed this plan, also alternatives...

So it all now depends on analyzing your needs, as well as Freedom coverage in your area if you decide to take that road...
As noted, coverage will tend to be your biggest concern if absolute connectivity is a requirement as I agree with the poster on coverage. Within the GTHA where we mostly travel, we have not had any severe service issues. Everyone will have an issue with one carrier or another at some point. If you’re trying to avoid any customer service headaches, then you might not be able to ever get a cell phone or any other infrastructure service, haha.
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 1:52 am
Can you combine with family discount? With having several lines on the same account?
I asked about that since my wife is a FM/Wind customer and I was told they only offer line discount on plans > $40. My wife has the grandfathered $30 plan so neither plan would qualify for us.
pmcd wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 2:16 am
Does anywhere provide a free SIM card for FM?
I have dealt with the manager in passing at my location before and while getting signed up for my mom, he just didn’t charge me the SIM card. Not sure if he does that for every customer or that it’s because we’ve had good exchanges before. Something tells me you won’t want to drive into Hamilton to save $10 lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2695 posts
2084 upvotes
Vancouver
@ManCaveGamer wrote: ↑
xkaliber wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:30 am
I asked about that since my wife is a FM/Wind customer and I was told they only offer line discount on plans > $40. My wife has the grandfathered $30 plan so neither plan would qualify for us.
If they told you this, it is absolute BS!!!! I have $10 1GB data plan from like 5 years ago, and it is practically free cuz it is the third line on my FM account...

Anyway, HERE IS THE OFFICIAL LIST of rules and accounts for FM "Better together" savings. Take a close look...
xkaliber wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:30 am
I have dealt with the manager in passing at my location before and while getting signed up for my mom, he just didn’t charge me the SIM card. Not sure if he does that for every customer or that it’s because we’ve had good exchanges before. Something tells me you won’t want to drive into Hamilton to save $10 lol.
From my long time dealings with Wind/FM I learned that corporate store managers should give you free SIM card when upgrading features [outdated SIM] or when SIM is defective. Translated, at their discretion they could decide to offer you a free SIM anyway...

Edit: Also, you _always_ get free SIM if you by a new phone...
Dec 10, 2012
154 posts
48 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Any word on when does this expire? My contract is up next weekend and this would be a decent plan since I mostly just forward the number out to my business phone and only need it as a backup