Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 5:44 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
104 posts
183 upvotes
Hamilton
max011 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 2:49 pm
If they told you this, it is absolute BS!!!! I have $10 1GB data plan from like 5 years ago, and it is practically free cuz it is the third line on my FM account...

Anyway, HERE IS THE OFFICIAL LIST of rules and accounts for FM "Better together" savings. Take a close look...
Thank you, that is great info! After reviewing, it is true for my particular case that the promo plan doesn't qualify. If I ever change to a different plan that does happen to fall under one of these, I will definitely bring up their official document to push further.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1121 posts
103 upvotes
Vancouver
AndroidVip wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:33 pm
Same. I signed up last August as I was starting school and finally got to upgrade my plan. Since then I changed over to the Promo Everywhere 60 with my F&F and then both my parents even switched recently to the same plan. It's definitely worth what we pay for it and it will just keep getting better and better.
Exactly, nothing better than having the everywhere plan with 35% F &F discount. I have had one time where I lost service, for a mere 10 seconds. Always works, and love that I can use my phone in the USA without roaming, and still have data.
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Finally switched to the $24 FM prepaid LTE from PM. I do not have band 66 phones ( Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6S). I am getting similar speeds to when I was with Rogers LTE. Perhaps it’s a Toronto thing? Some areas are very fast, others not quite ( but still way faster than PM).

Tech support when phoning FM seems not the best. Prefer the Public Mobile model. In fact the PM speeds are more than fine and I might switch back at some point. I find their 30 day billing cycles annoying, and misleading. The $24 FM plan is only 66 cents more expensive than PM’s $23 plan. It also has infinite data which is neat ( after 1.5gig you still get data but at very reduced speeds).

Everything, including voice, works just fine using the S7 on FM.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6945 posts
1576 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 4:29 am
Finally switched to the $24 FM prepaid LTE from PM. I do not have band 66 phones ( Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6S). I am getting similar speeds to when I was with Rogers LTE. Perhaps it’s a Toronto thing? Some areas are very fast, others not quite ( but still way faster than PM).

Tech support when phoning FM seems not the best. Prefer the Public Mobile model. In fact the PM speeds are more than fine and I might switch back at some point. I find their 30 day billing cycles annoying, and misleading. The $24 FM plan is only 66 cents more expensive than PM’s $23 plan. It also has infinite data which is neat ( after 1.5gig you still get data but at very reduced speeds).

Everything, including voice, works just fine using the S7 on FM.
ya data is fine if ur downtown toronto(blazing speeds) or scarboro from my experience..also if u got a band66 phone like i do and supports wificalling and volte all the better...i have ip8+

i don't use the phone much for calling tho but i think it sucks if your in a big box building like metros at kennedy commons
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Oct 31, 2018
12 posts
16 upvotes
He may have something off but it works all the time. You need data on for picture msging btw.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2344 posts
1300 upvotes
Kitchener
max011 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 6:44 pm
Why? They serve free coffee?
No, but they have an awesome 3G experience that reminds you of 6 years ago!
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 6:02 am
ya data is fine if ur downtown toronto(blazing speeds) or scarboro from my experience..also if u got a band66 phone like i do and supports wificalling and volte all the better...i have ip8+

i don't use the phone much for calling tho but i think it sucks if your in a big box building like metros at kennedy commons
I just upgraded my Samsung S7 to an S8. It has band 66, but I haven't seen much of a difference. Things work fine for me. The only issue I had was in Niagara on the Lake where Freedom switches over to Bell or Rogers towers. In order to get SMS to work I had to switch off WiFi or force the phone into 3G mode. That seems to be a Samsung S8 issue. It hasn't happened elsewhere. Very odd.

The problem with LTE is you use data fast. When I was with PM I never used as much data as I have with FM, and the functionality was just as good. Still FM's 1.5 gig $24 plan is a bargain for someone not relying on their phone in a critical way.
May 26, 2011
504 posts
300 upvotes
@xkaliber can you clarify if this deal is a prepaid or postpaid (requires a credit check, they send you ebills every month)?

I went to The Mobile Shop, Walmart, and Freedom store, they all told me it's a prepaid. This plan seems like yours, except $29 without auto pay, $24 with auto pay:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plan ... es/prepaid

The Freedom store told me to call the call center to get this plan, because I'm currently postpaid.
Koodo, Freedom Mobile, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Drop, meridian, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM and Tangerine customer.
Dec 18, 2017
502 posts
841 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:42 pm
*ederly mother* She needs to make an emergency call but..............................no signal.
You actually don't even need an active plan to make a 911 call in Canada. Even if your phone doesn't have a SIM card inserted, it will still be able to call 911 by connecting to the closest cell tower.

Even if the Freedom SIM is inserted and as long as your phone's network settings are set to "Automatic Network Selection", it will connect to the closest most reliable cell network and place the emergency call.

This isn't mandated in every single country, but it is a requirement for all mobile operators in Canada, US & UK for sure.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
104 posts
183 upvotes
Hamilton
maverikbc wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:20 pm
@xkaliber can you clarify if this deal is a prepaid or postpaid (requires a credit check, they send you ebills every month)?

I went to The Mobile Shop, Walmart, and Freedom store, they all told me it's a prepaid. This plan seems like yours, except $29 without auto pay, $24 with auto pay:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plan ... es/prepaid

The Freedom store told me to call the call center to get this plan, because I'm currently postpaid.
It's prepaid, and there was never a need for a credit check - or not one I knew of or consented to, I did not know it was it standard procedure to require anything like that for any plan I've ever signed up for before... kinda crazy to imagine! We just finished our first month and they just took $19 from my credit card, didn't receive a bill and unless you've used some kind of premium fee-for-use service, I don't expect to pay anything extra. Only thing my mom got was a reminder on her cell phone that the credit card would be billed the day before billing cycle ended.
May 23, 2019
17 posts
5 upvotes
DragOnT wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:24 pm
Friend of mine is still on Freedom since the Wind days; FYI, his picture message never works.
I have Freedom Mobile with an iPhone 6 and MMS definitely works.
The rep did the setup at the store when I bought the plan.
May 26, 2011
504 posts
300 upvotes
xkaliber wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 8:41 pm
It's prepaid,
The data stops soon as you reach the limit, right? That's a dealbreaker for me.

I wasn't sure if this deal was prepaid, because normally we get more for $ with postpaid than prepaid.
Koodo, Freedom Mobile, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Drop, meridian, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM and Tangerine customer.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
maverikbc wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 1:07 am
The data stops soon as you reach the limit, right? That's a dealbreaker for me.

I wasn't sure if this deal was prepaid, because normally we get more for $ with postpaid than prepaid.
The data does not stop. It just gets really slow.