Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Freedom Mobile] Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2019 4:54 pm
Jun 15, 2009
227 posts
51 upvotes
Victoria
I've been testing out FM since February when it was rolled out in Victoria with their Big Gig promo at half off for 6 months. My spare phone does not have band 66, it has 1-5/7-8/12-13/17/19/20/28-30/38-41. Other than when I signed up in the store, I have never been on LTE except when I left the city and piggybacked on their away network. On H+ right now, I get 5-6.0 Mbps down and 1.4-1.5 Mbps up. My Telus phone (same phone) is currently on LTE, Band 13 (I use the android app "LTE Discovery" to find out which band I'm on) and I'm getting speeds of 5.5/2.5. on average. With Telus, I'm usually swapping between bands 4 and 5. This is actually the first time I've noticed it on Band 13. Not much difference! I am currently in the basement however, and I only have 2 bars on Telus, full bars with Freedom (on H+).

Being on H+ hasn't been a hindrance. I have been playing Harry Potter:Wizards Unite on Freedom for the last month and had no issues. My only problem is that there are way more "dead zones" - areas where I'm actually getting zero connectivity, and I'm still inside the city limits. This has convinced me that I cannot give up Telus. For $30/mth, sure I can live with it (especially as a secondary phone), but not at $60/mth as my main device.

I have a child starting highschool in September so I was looking at switching to the $15/mth 250mb plan, because the one thing I have noticed is that Shaw PassPoints are everywhere, and it connects automatically. I've done a lot of research and found a very cheap phone that has all the bands that Freedom uses - Motorola Moto E5 Play, https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-XT19216P ... ms?ie=UTF8 - currently for sale on Amazon.ca for $114.99.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e5_play-9175.php

This plan that OP has posted for $19 is great and I would jump on that, but until someone else chimes in and says they got the same deal, I'm not going to switch before my current promo expires.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4272 posts
825 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone able to get this? Spoke with 1 store and 1kiosk, no luck.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1708 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Phantom wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 7:43 pm
My plan says that too. Despite that, on this prepaid plan when I ran out of data, it completely stopped. They really want you to buy the $15 1 GB data add on when you run out.
Well I have phoned tech support and billing and have it on recorded messages that it does not stop. Perhaps this happens to some? I just can’t see how their tech people and billing people will on recorded conversations tell you something which is on the web site. They were adamant about it.

In any case, there seems to be so much disinformation going around about FM. Band 66 requiremts, poor phone reception, etc... I have not noticed any of this. I am using both a band 66 supported phone and one that isn’t. Don’t notice any different in the GTA. In fact FM has been every bit as good as Rogers for me.

The only complaint I have is the difficulty in applying a balance on a prepaid plan to your bill. It is really not obvious.