Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile not "refunding" defective Samsung Note 10+

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 11:14 am
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes
Thorium1 wrote: Don't even waste your time with bad google reviews. Pretty everyone that works retail, or at least telecom retail, know that this doesn't mean much. Our store has quite a few bad reviews and barely any good (because we have a survey system) and the majority of bad reviews are made up BS from customers that either berated us and we decided to not serve them or just didn't listen to what we were saying and we told them to take a hike. Now having not seen the phone itself and in what condition it is, if I were to take your word that it is in mint condition I would say file a CCTS complaint but if you're BSing and you damaged it then just keep the phone and don't waste peoples time.
I personally read Google reviews. I recently found my mechanic solely by reading Google reviews and I do not regret my choice!
Oct 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
AMRadio wrote: OP, you need to escalate somehow. good luck! try to find someone sympathetic to your situation.

in the 2000s, i bought an expensive Minidisc (WOO MINIDISC!) player that started turning off and skipping, out of the box. took it back the HiFi store the next day, was told they need to send it back to the company for testing, no refunds or exchanges otherwise. a week later, with hundreds of dollars out of my pocket and no tunes, the report comes back saying i had bent the internal chassis by SITTING ON IT. even though a) brand new, b) the metal case of the player was mint.

the salesguy said (paraphrasing) This Report is Crap, Let Me Handle It, and refunded my money on the spot.

good luck!
Thank you for this! It is very encouraging.
Oct 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
emilio911 wrote: I personally read Google reviews. I recently found my mechanic solely by reading Google reviews and I do not regret my choice!
It turns out that by reaching out to Freedom on their social media, my case has been escalated!
Jun 13, 2019
82 posts
49 upvotes
emilio911 wrote: I personally read Google reviews. I recently found my mechanic solely by reading Google reviews and I do not regret my choice!
Like I mentioned "retail, or Atleast telecom business"
Jun 13, 2019
82 posts
49 upvotes
Janiibunny wrote: It turns out that by reaching out to Freedom on their social media, my case has been escalated!
Glad it got escalated
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
Janiibunny wrote: I signed up for a 24 month tab on my existing Freedom account and got the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ on October 5th.
When I got home, the phone was updating and then I did the Samsung transfer feature from my S8+ to my new 10+. Maybe within the next 3 hours, the phone had rebooted and I figured it was maybe an update that I didn't pay attention to and just ignored it.
Oct 6, phone is rebooting or freezing randomly.
Oct 7, phone is rebooting or freezing randomly up to 8 times that day and so after work I went to go exchange it as I feel it's a defected phone.
- The store agent said, "Come back tomorrow, the person who sold you the phone will be in. I don't have the code to do the refund." Seemed ridiculous to me, but I said fine, whatever will be the smoothest option.
Oct 8, I go into the store after work and state I want to exchange the phone and tell him the issues I had with the phone. He opens the box, inspects the phone and says, "The accessories are open like this (referring to the one tab on the headphone box being ripped so that I could access the charging cable), I cannot take this phone back to do an exchange." I state that I have 15 days to get an exchange and he says, "I need to detect the issues." He puts a SIM into the phone and doesn't even continue through the set-up and says, "I don't see an issue with this phone."
I said that even if you don't detect the issues, I still have the right to return the phone and he goes to say that it's not in resalable condition so he cannot take it back. I have called agent after agent over the phone and because the store agent uses, "not in like-new condition" with the agent on the phone, they take his word for it. I asked the store agent when his manager would be in and he replies, "another day". When I asked which day specifically, he repeated, "another day."
I take the phone home and write up a complaint with the CCTS. I take a video of the phone freezing and not functioning.
Oct 9, I call Freedom and ask to speak directly to a supervisor. My mind was blown as to how this company operates - because the store that I got my phone from was a private store, there was nothing that he could do to help me other than to put in a request to speak with someone higher up which would be a call-back in an unknown time frame. He suggested I try to get into contact with the store manager again.

Now I feel stuck. What should my next steps be? This is an expensive phone and by now, I feel like I don't want anything to do with Freedom Mobile anymore.
First thing you do is file CCTS complain, second if you really like that phone why don't you visit the nearest Samsung Store near you. Let them diagnose this issue.
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Fido $40/75gb + 30gb bonus = 105gb
Oct 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
smgksa wrote: First thing you do is file CCTS complain, second if you really like that phone why don't you visit the nearest Samsung Store near you. Let them diagnose this issue.
That will be my next step after I get a response. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26212 posts
39746 upvotes
Toronto
If you end up stuck with with phone, try a full factory reset. I'd be wary to trust the Samsung transfer app
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
One of the reasons why I always set up new.

Samsung Experience Store at Yorkdale Mall took care of me when Samsung themselves said the thumb imprints that left a permanent mark on the display is my fault.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Oct 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
sprung wrote: If you end up stuck with with phone, try a full factory reset. I'd be wary to trust the Samsung transfer app
I've been testing it "fresh" and it still has the same issues. Video footage of it freezing for a minute before rebooting. When the phone is frozen, the physical buttons do not work either.
Oct 8, 2019
14 posts
10 upvotes
Janiibunny wrote: It turns out that by reaching out to Freedom on their social media, my case has been escalated!
No dice on Freedom's end helping. I guess I just wait for a response from the CCTS.
Jun 1, 2008
721 posts
245 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You can always say you have a disability and then there's a 30 day return policy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)