4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto

[Freedom Mobile] Prepaid $29/month for Unlimited Talk/Text 4GB

Freedom Mobile has a double the data promo on it's $29 plan making it 4GB,

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prep ... 1svwhQ0zDZ
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.55.38 AM.png
Last edited by Guest2274885 on Aug 5th, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Dec 10, 2003
406 posts
71 upvotes
Is this for new activations only or existing Freedom mobile customers also?
Aug 29, 2017
681 posts
2746 upvotes
For 12mos only. $34/m after, including digital discount.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1767 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
anyone use freedom mobile in montreal? it looks like we are covered in the "national coverage network"
Sep 10, 2018
622 posts
1870 upvotes
Do I care?
4GB only inside zone. 2GB outside.
Nov 17, 2003
184 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t do it. Don’t get tempted by the “cheap” plan.. only to then live life with crappy reception, service and everything else bad that goes with Freedom.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR FOLKS. If reception and service isn’t an important factor in this decision, then HOT DEAL!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2602 posts
2028 upvotes
GTA
Freedom? Forget it. Give me $30 a month, then I will use it - unless they upgrade their infrastructure.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Banned
Apr 14, 2004
1394 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
I agree freedom blows, but I wonder if Rogers will do what they did to freedom, as they did with mobilicity.
Aug 17, 2018
315 posts
216 upvotes
Reception is as good as I've had with Rogers in GTA. Pushing 3rd year now.
I never got the people that purposely come into threads to spew garbage (even if they have personal experience, it is probably outdated, or their case does not represent majority of intended customers).

That being said, this is not a hot deal, it is only a representation of how bad the others are...and how freedom is just like them if given a chance.

Hot deal was what they had 3,4,5 years ago, if only their infrastructure was better at the time. Now with increased speed and coverage, the prices are nothing to be proud off.
And yes their support is crap. But there are also opportunities when dealing with less than stellar staff.
Sep 6, 2009
379 posts
332 upvotes
grca73 wrote: Reception is as good as I've had with Rogers in GTA. Pushing 3rd year now.
I never got the people that purposely come into threads to spew garbage (even if they have personal experience, it is probably outdated, or their case does not represent majority of intended customers).

That being said, this is not a hot deal, it is only a representation of how bad the others are...and how freedom is just like them if given a chance.

Hot deal was what they had 3,4,5 years ago, if only their infrastructure was better at the time. Now with increased speed and coverage, the prices are nothing to be proud off.
And yes their support is crap. But there are also opportunities when dealing with less than stellar staff.
I was with Wind a long time ago and currently on Freedom with their 1.5gig $19 plan due to WFH
I can see that some hatred is justified because reception is really quite bad even in Downtown Toronto.
I am not sure if it's the signal because even the times when I had decent signal I've had people complain that their calls weren't reaching me.
This is with the same phone I was using with Koodo so it's a fair network to network comparison.
I will probably stay with them since I have a separate work phone on Bell and WiFi calling is sufficient for my personal stuff.
If I had to make or receive important calls on my personal phone, I'd never stay with Freedom.
Aug 17, 2018
315 posts
216 upvotes
beatusk wrote: I was with Wind a long time ago and currently on Freedom with their 1.5gig $19 plan due to WFH
I can see that some hatred is justified because reception is really quite bad even in Downtown Toronto.
I am not sure if it's the signal because even the times when I had decent signal I've had people complain that their calls weren't reaching me.
This is with the same phone I was using with Koodo so it's a fair network to network comparison.
I will probably stay with them since I have a separate work phone on Bell and WiFi calling is sufficient for my personal stuff.
If I had to make or receive important calls on my personal phone, I'd never stay with Freedom.
It is OK for existing user to ctiticize and talk about their specific situation. As you can see from above I have also done so. I take issue with "professional critics" that come into every single thread and repeat same stuff.
I also had plenty of missed calls with Roger's and fido before where people were going straight to voicemail. I also routinely hit the dead spots at 410 and 407, as well as 401 Milton area beside that lake. Is this true today? I don't know because I'm not with them.
You mentioned having same phone as you had on koodo. Are you sure you're on Freedom VoLTE and extended range (if you're not than I'm not surprised at the lack of performance.)
BTW in the year before covid hit... Freedom had 2 internet outages and 2 or 3 call and text outages that lasted almost a day or longer. That same year rogers had 3 data outages and several call sms issues (not counting thunderstorm temporary outages that plague all providers, only only widespread crashes that last almost a day or longer). Bell and Telus had a couple each.
Fact is everyone that called in and asked on Freedom, got 2,3,6 months $5 discount on each of their lines, every single outage. On other providers people got big fat sorry, and sometime not even that.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3973 posts
2829 upvotes
Kitchener
I remember the BTW back around 2013 -- $29 for unlimited text and calling and 5GB data.....
Why can't we all just get along?
Nov 26, 2019
44 posts
110 upvotes
cryptobrian wrote: Don’t do it. Don’t get tempted by the “cheap” plan.. only to then live life with crappy reception, service and everything else bad that goes with Freedom.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR FOLKS. If reception and service isn’t an important factor in this decision, then HOT DEAL!
Have to agree. I tried the $19 prepaid plan and the data didn't meet my expectations speed-wise. At least I only tried it for a month.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1152 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
I highly suggest having a phone that supports vowifi and volte if using freedom. I've been on freedom 99 dollar a year plan and never had issues in GTA
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you