Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile roaming

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 9:26 am
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
14 posts

Freedom Mobile roaming

Can anyone explain clearly Freedom's Away zone roaming set-up including to the U.S?

For example; If I turn iPhone 8 data roaming off and use automatic network connection am I still considered roaming on any Away network even in the U.S?

If that is the case then it appears I can not use my iPhone in the U.S. at all (even for texts/calls) without incurring data charges. Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks for any help.
4 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14229 posts
11980 upvotes
Not Leask
If you disable data roaming, you can still incur usage via talk/text. Inbound sms are free on roaming. Outbound sms, in or outbound calls all incur usage.

Bon voyage!
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2705 upvotes
ON
There have been instances where there is some data leakage - best to disable data entirely on your phone when you leave a home network rather than rely on the roaming flag working properly.

After that, if you don't make calls or send texts, you won't get any extra charges.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14229 posts
11980 upvotes
Not Leask
aqnd wrote: There have been instances where there is some data leakage - best to disable data entirely on your phone when you leave a home network rather than rely on the roaming flag working properly.

After that, if you don't make calls or send texts, you won't get any extra charges.
True that! Sammy phones are notorious for data leaking.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
37 upvotes
pigeon08 wrote: Can anyone explain clearly Freedom's Away zone roaming set-up including to the U.S?

For example; If I turn iPhone 8 data roaming off and use automatic network connection am I still considered roaming on any Away network even in the U.S?

If that is the case then it appears I can not use my iPhone in the U.S. at all (even for texts/calls) without incurring data charges. Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks for any help.
Not sure what plan your on, but since you have iPhone 8 I would think it is the $50 plan where you have some data and away zone talk and text in US and canada? Does your phone have Wifi calling and if it is supported by Freedom then you make calls/receive calls for free on Wifi.

First thing first, check what your plan includes with Freedom because the $50 plan that was available with iPhone 8 includes away talk and text and data in US and Canada.