Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Samsung S20 FE, $210 with trade-in

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:12 pm
Jan 28, 2008
319 posts
109 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
newuserhere wrote: I think you dont need to literally compare a android 6gb ram with ios 4gb performance. I am a android fan from more than a decade but i would not blindly support android becoz of better ram because apple has better memory management as i can see performance of my last years flagship android phone which is already slow compared to any 4year old iPhone with my friends still going strong and faster..
I can't agree with that as an Iphone user. My iphone is 2 years old and it's extremely slow already. I get Apps refreshed all the time, and can't even play a small game! The device's storage is disaster I can't keep up using it without uploading all the files and videos to the cloud all the time.
Even when you compare the newest Samsung Galaxy vs Iphone, you get higher number of Apps getting refreshed every single time.
I don't understand why there are so many praises with Iphone, using it for 2-3 years, it becomes literally garbage.
Jan 23, 2017
15 posts
7 upvotes
Sunny_X wrote: i mentioned this in one of my previous respond but again i will post it one last time.

i purchased this @ Markville Mall, there are 3 staff in that booth, Manager ( didn't pay attention to his name ), Jim ( chinese sales rep ) and Muizo ( sorry if i spelled his name wrong )

i got my deal on Sunday Oct 18th with Muizo so good luck to you all and hope "M" can make more $$$$ if freedom sale rep is on commission.

:)
I think you got lucky and the rep mistakenly applied the $150 credit towards accessories. I spoke with "M" at Markville specifically and he said himself he made a mistake and was scolded by his manager lol

Every other location I called and dropped by today had the $150 trade-in towards the tab only. But the tab for $60+ plans is $0 already. The only useful application the trade-in has is if you cancel before 2 years is up on your contract. The buyout amount would be x - ($150+trade in value), where x is amount owing on your phone.
Aug 16, 2020
253 posts
32 upvotes
holatto wrote: I think you got lucky and the rep mistakenly applied the $150 credit towards accessories. I spoke with "M" at Markville specifically and he said himself he made a mistake and was scolded by his manager lol

Every other location I called and dropped by today had the $150 trade-in towards the tab only. But the tab for $60+ plans is $0 already. The only useful application the trade-in has is if you cancel before 2 years is up on your contract. The buyout amount would be x - ($150+trade in value), where x is amount owing on your phone.
If that is true then you can stop using freedom after 20months instead of 24months...
Jan 23, 2017
15 posts
7 upvotes
newuserhere wrote: If that is true then you can stop using freedom after 20months instead of 24months...
Correct. The tab is technically there at $960/24months = $40/month (which Freedom is paying so its $0 for the customer). So if your old phone has a value of $50 dollars plus the promotional credit of $150 = $200.
Therefore, the phone would be 'payed off' 5 months ahead of time and theoretically you could stop after 19 months. Dont know if leaving early would be subject to other fees though.. Or Freedom just might calculate the tab as ($960 - $150)/24 months meaning there would still be a balance after 19~20months.

Not sure, best to talk to a rep for further clarification.
Jul 28, 2018
17 posts
13 upvotes
ccomkim wrote: I can't agree with that as an Iphone user. My iphone is 2 years old and it's extremely slow already. I get Apps refreshed all the time, and can't even play a small game! The device's storage is disaster I can't keep up using it without uploading all the files and videos to the cloud all the time.
Even when you compare the newest Samsung Galaxy vs Iphone, you get higher number of Apps getting refreshed every single time.
I don't understand why there are so many praises with Iphone, using it for 2-3 years, it becomes literally garbage.
IPhone is still good after 2-3 yrs only if you don't update the software. If you update it it becomes slow as hell and laggy.
Nov 9, 2010
759 posts
947 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Do we have to switch plans? Or can we upgrade on an existing $60 plan? I have a grandfathered plan that I'm intent on keeping...
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: djwalsh3000
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2002
3991 posts
4 upvotes
djwalsh3000 wrote: Do we have to switch plans? Or can we upgrade on an existing $60 plan? I have a grandfathered plan that I'm intent on keeping...
you have to switch.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2002
3991 posts
4 upvotes
holatto wrote: I think you got lucky and the rep mistakenly applied the $150 credit towards accessories. I spoke with "M" at Markville specifically and he said himself he made a mistake and was scolded by his manager lol

can't comment on this but the manager is right beside him when he was working on my transaction and they had few conversation back and forth due to some technical issue. maybe i was lucky because i was willing to pay extra $$$ to get the buds+
Sep 10, 2009
413 posts
238 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Remember that you can safely use an iPhone for 5-6 years and you are lucky if you can use an Android phone for 3.

That's where the value is. And given Apple keeps on beating Qualcomm on chip design and power by a huge margin, iPhone's longevity is also more guaranteed.

As much as I'm not an iPhone guy but given Apple is having a very healthy App Store and Accessories revenues, Android phone makers just can't afford people keep their phones for that long.
That was more of the case a few years back with Android but not really the case nowadays unless you go with a company that doesn’t put support their phones or go for a non-flagship.

Samsung now has guaranteed updates for 3 years and then some with security updates and even then the update situation is a bit different between iOS and Android. Android has apps (eg Google Play Services) that can push updates that add features that you can only really get with a system update on iOS. For example, iOS needed a system update to support the COVID tracing app where Android just needed Google Play Services to update. Same with getting the new Nearby feature on Android (Android equivalent to Airdrop).

As for chip design, I agree. That’s the huge benefit to iOS since Apple pretty much has control from the hard way all the way down to optimizing their entire line of devices. As for day to day... would you even notice that much of a difference? The chips these days have been so powerful to run basic apps that you probably won’t even notice any performance issues even a few years down the line.

And safely using an iPhone for 5-6 years is pretty generous. There have been a ton of complains of people unhappy that their phones slow down after a few years and after updates. There’s the whole planned obsolescence thing that people on older iPhones complain about.

For accessories, the iPhone has a bigger choice but since it’s Samsung’s you’ll probably get a healthy amount. Idk about this FE version though but I feel their flagships are pretty decent in accessory choice. Not as much as iPhones, but decent enough.

And as for the App Store, I honestly dont really see that much of a difference between the two after using iOS for a few months now. There are some games not available on Android but the apps I use, I can usually find an Android equivalent of it. And the pro apps like LumaFusion would be pretty bad on a phone screen and yeah, not on Android.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2387 posts
1176 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Freedom Mobile is trash. Worst customer service ever. Can't even port a number in after 3 weeks of joining and can't even acknowledged it. Just kept asking me to wait 4 days.. One after another. Enough is enough.

Filed a CCTS complaint today.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Dec 3, 2018
165 posts
265 upvotes
Found this neat third-party network coverage tool:

nPerf Network Coverage

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but it looks like they actually drive around testing/verifying network coverage from all the providers hence why the colour coding looks like a road map (or it's crowd sourced?). Unfortunately for Freedom Mobile this data suggests I would most like get 3G in my area (maybe 4G) using them while my current Koodo service is solid 4G+ (whatever that is lol). Any 5G networks are also shown.
Sep 21, 2015
145 posts
36 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TestAcc wrote: I see this phone supports 5G. Does Freedom have any 5G network up and running yet? I went on their site, but it just has the normal 5G ads and doesn't say anything about deployment (current/future).

Does anyone know if they have some test areas with 5G yet? or when it's planning to be released?
they don't have any up, they said beginning of next year.

Whats the likeliness on the pixel 5 getting a similar deal? Even though its worse spec wise I still prefer the camera, size and battery life over the s20 fe.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12639 posts
3424 upvotes
Scarberia
Does this phone have 120hz? I hate my note10plus now no 120hz!Loudly Crying Face
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Feb 14, 2012
928 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
Great price...too bad wife and i are still in our terms. Hoping koodo has some deals to match or at least come close to this, daughter's line still hasn't got a term.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)