Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Samsung S20 FE, $210 with trade-in

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5834 posts
4518 upvotes
Feels Good Man wrote: That was more of the case a few years back with Android but not really the case nowadays unless you go with a company that doesn’t put support their phones or go for a non-flagship.

Samsung now has guaranteed updates for 3 years and then some with security updates and even then the update situation is a bit different between iOS and Android. Android has apps (eg Google Play Services) that can push updates that add features that you can only really get with a system update on iOS. For example, iOS needed a system update to support the COVID tracing app where Android just needed Google Play Services to update. Same with getting the new Nearby feature on Android (Android equivalent to Airdrop).

As for chip design, I agree. That’s the huge benefit to iOS since Apple pretty much has control from the hard way all the way down to optimizing their entire line of devices. As for day to day... would you even notice that much of a difference? The chips these days have been so powerful to run basic apps that you probably won’t even notice any performance issues even a few years down the line.

And safely using an iPhone for 5-6 years is pretty generous. There have been a ton of complains of people unhappy that their phones slow down after a few years and after updates. There’s the whole planned obsolescence thing that people on older iPhones complain about.

For accessories, the iPhone has a bigger choice but since it’s Samsung’s you’ll probably get a healthy amount. Idk about this FE version though but I feel their flagships are pretty decent in accessory choice. Not as much as iPhones, but decent enough.

And as for the App Store, I honestly dont really see that much of a difference between the two after using iOS for a few months now. There are some games not available on Android but the apps I use, I can usually find an Android equivalent of it. And the pro apps like LumaFusion would be pretty bad on a phone screen and yeah, not on Android.
Remember that we are still getting iOS14 on iPhone 6s, a Sep 2015 phone. If this device drops off update next year, that mean you would have a securely updated device for 6 years. Now name me an Android device that can match that? Only Samsung, Oneplus and Pixel line promise 3 years. Like OnePlus 5, a 2017 phone is still a very powerful phone today but it already loses security updates unless you go out to get custom roms.

As for app ecosystem, they are all the same. But since Apple owns the app store, they can afford to keep phones out there as gateways for their subscription services. So it doesn't really matter how long they keep phones running out there. Meanwhile Samsung doesn't have any app store revenue, there isn't any incentives to keep phones updated and running for a long time.

As for accessories, I don't mean the amount of accessories out there but the revenue that Apples get via Apple tax. Everything gadget that use lightning port requires to pay Apple a licensing fee. MFi program also collect a lot of fees. Same can't be said with Android world.

That's why Google is updating Android's OS update mechanism hoping to increase longevity of Android phones out there to beat Apple as their manufacturing partner have 0 incentive to do so.
Last edited by Xtrema on Oct 21st, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 28, 2008
319 posts
109 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MusD92460 wrote: IPhone is still good after 2-3 yrs only if you don't update the software. If you update it it becomes slow as hell and laggy.
That is correct sir!
Sep 10, 2009
413 posts
238 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Remember that we are still getting iOS14 on iPhone 6s, a Sep 2015 phone. If this device drops off update next year, that mean you would have a securely updated device for 6 years. Now name me an Android device that can match that? Only Samsung, Oneplus and Pixel line promise 3 years. Like OnePlus 5, a 2017 phone is still a very powerful phone today but it already loses security updates unless you go out to get custom roms.

As for app ecosystem, they are all the same. But since Apple owns the app store, they can afford to keep phones out there as gateways for their subscription services. So it doesn't really matter how long they keep phones running out there. Meanwhile Samsung doesn't have any app store revenue, there isn't any incentives to keep phones updated and running for a long time.

As for accessories, I don't mean the amount of accessories out there but the revenue that Apples get via Apple tax. Everything gadget that use lightning port requires to pay Apple a licensing fee. MFi program also collect a lot of fees. Same can't be said with Android world.

That's why Google is updating Android's OS update mechanism hoping to increase longevity of Android phones out there to beat Apple as their manufacturing partner have 0 incentive to do so.
Now that Samsung promised 3 years at least of updates and then after security updates, probably Samsung. And Google too. Like I said before, Android and iOS both handle updates differently where Google can push some updates via Google Play Services and Project Mainline. It essentially just modularizes components of Android so it can be updates without a major system update. Is that the same as a big software update? No, but ensures you can get some updates if the manufacturer doesn't provide it.

And as people even this thread said that iOS updates to older phones aren't exactly the greatest.

I think Samsung's main driving force is keeping their brand strong especially in their home market, trying to get better market share than Apple, and keeping their #1 spot on Android alive. I guess the competition with Apple is probably doing the consumers good.
Dec 4, 2005
480 posts
543 upvotes
Mississauga
mikka2017 wrote: Does this phone have 120hz? I hate my note10plus now no 120hz!Loudly Crying Face
Yes, there is an option in Settings "Motion Smoothness", High is 120hz, Standard is 60hz.
Dec 4, 2005
480 posts
543 upvotes
Mississauga
AsianXL wrote: Freedom Mobile is trash. Worst customer service ever. Can't even port a number in after 3 weeks of joining and can't even acknowledged it. Just kept asking me to wait 4 days.. One after another. Enough is enough.

Filed a CCTS complaint today.
This is strange, my port took about an hour to complete. They gave a temp number and then an hour later got a msg that my number was changed to the ported one. I ported from Koodo.
May 14, 2017
108 posts
38 upvotes
ccomkim wrote: That is correct sir!
not really? I have iphone 8 plus 64G, and it is very smooth without lag, and it is running newest IOS..
I believe APPLE fixed it after iphone 6, so 7 and onwards are good.
Apr 20, 2006
549 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: Freedom Mobile is trash. Worst customer service ever. Can't even port a number in after 3 weeks of joining and can't even acknowledged it. Just kept asking me to wait 4 days.. One after another. Enough is enough.

Filed a CCTS complaint today.
Almost all number porting problems occur when the information provided to the receiving (new) carrier do not match what is listed with the sending (old) carrier.
ie:
- spelling mistakes (name, address etc...)
- incorrect pin
- incorrect account holder name
The reason why you got told by Freedom that you have to wait X number of days is that they are waiting on the response from the old carrier to respond as they probably had to send a special manual request due to the number of failed attempts.

Most times this can be rectified by contacting your old carrier and confirming / correcting the information as they are the ones confirming that the information received in the request is correct, not the new carrier. If you’re lucky and get the right person they can even tell you why it didn’t go through and get it fixed ASAP.
Aug 15, 2013
821 posts
410 upvotes
Guelph
ipopov wrote: I just did. In the app scroll to "Benefits" and you should see the promotion.
Weird, i did look in benefits, i see a bunch of benefits from indigo, reebok, adidas, health food, airmiles etc but nothing to get the evoucher.
May 24, 2020
4 posts
3 upvotes
For anyone that's on the fence about coverage in the Vancouver area, I work for a communications company and I can confirm they're constantly placing new cell towers / sites. hundreds. We have a department that is constantly installing inside malls etc. as well.
Dec 20, 2018
229 posts
355 upvotes
I have an iphone 7 and I'm starting to notice lag here and there that I didn't in 2019. iOS 14 and 80% battery health.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1634 posts
1063 upvotes
if its wasnt COVID, I would've jumped on this deal

Love freedom breaking oligopoly by big three
Last edited by JIB9022 on Oct 21st, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 28, 2008
319 posts
109 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SenLuoo wrote: not really? I have iphone 8 plus 64G, and it is very smooth without lag, and it is running newest IOS..
I believe APPLE fixed it after iphone 6, so 7 and onwards are good.
Maybe because you have 8 plus?
I have 8, and it is not looking good.
Dec 4, 2005
480 posts
543 upvotes
Mississauga
dundeal wrote: Weird, i did look in benefits, i see a bunch of benefits from indigo, reebok, adidas, health food, airmiles etc but nothing to get the evoucher.
Are you doing it on S20 FE? I have another samsung phone with the same account, I don't see that coupon on that device even if has been already claimed on my account.
Aug 15, 2013
821 posts
410 upvotes
Guelph
ipopov wrote: Are you doing it on S20 FE? I have another samsung phone with the same account, I don't see that coupon on that device even if has been already claimed on my account.
Yes am doing it on the S20 FE. But am using samsung account from old phone, i guess this may be for new Samsung accounts only.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)