Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] Samsung S20 FE, $210 with trade-in

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5912 posts
4583 upvotes
Been with them since Wind. It's very YMMV on coverage until band 66 came online. Pair with a phone with VoLTE and Wifi calling, Freedom has been solid.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2016
111 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Is this deal available for current Freedom customers or new customers only?
Toronto Raptors 2018-2019 NBA Champions
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3169 posts
5313 upvotes
Can’t stand their service but upvoted cause the deal is actually really good

If only the regular carriers could have promos like this
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1023 posts
1674 upvotes
Alberta
pointsdude wrote: Is this deal available for current Freedom customers or new customers only?
Apparently these Switch & Save deals are available to existing customers, on HUP or new-line activation.
Newbie
May 16, 2017
95 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Why can`t we wait for black Friday which is merely a month away....
Jr. Member
Feb 24, 2017
153 posts
95 upvotes
I think I'll BYOD to freedom and try then for a couple months.

Then sign on contract with free phone if I like the service.

Is this a good strategy? Would they give me this deal if im an existing customer?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 9, 2016
163 posts
543 upvotes
Can't beat their device prices. But that 20GB data isn't usable if most of the time there is no network coverage. I'm currently with Freedom and most of the time if you are inside a building Freedom doesn't have signal or lost its signal. Mind you that this is in Metro Vancouver.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17108 posts
19042 upvotes
John8graz wrote: Can't beat their device prices. But that 20GB data isn't usable if most of the time there is no network coverage. I'm currently with Freedom and most of the time if you are inside a building Freedom doesn't have signal or lost its signal. Mind you that this is in Metro Vancouver.
So... same as WIND then.

I wonder if their 5G is better.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2013
5429 posts
1293 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
John8graz wrote: Can't beat their device prices. But that 20GB data isn't usable if most of the time there is no network coverage. I'm currently with Freedom and most of the time if you are inside a building Freedom doesn't have signal or lost its signal. Mind you that this is in Metro Vancouver.
I have no issue using Freedom, I think that inside the building no signal issue is YMMV.

Freedom Mobile F&F

Member
User avatar
Jun 1, 2016
371 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto/KW
Current Freedom customer in the GTHA here: their signal is definitely not bad, but there are quite a bit more dead spots and 3G-only areas than the big 3. When I was travelling on the Go between KW and Toronto frequently, I would lose signal for a decent amount of the route. Around where I live the signal is mostly strong but with the occasional weird dead spot where all the other carriers have signal.

It's serviceable (no pun intended) but not great, to be honest. I'm looking to switch off if there's any competitive looking deals from Koodo or Virgin or something. This seems like a great deal but just keep your expectations low for coverage if you do decide to switch into Freedom, at least if you're in my area.
Jr. Member
Nov 13, 2017
117 posts
189 upvotes
Vancouver
So this is not for new customers right ? skip then : (
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6338 posts
5543 upvotes
uoboy0 wrote: Does any one the detail specs for this S20FE? Ram size, CPU type...
redflagdealsguy wrote: Lower resolution screen, but still retina IMO.

RAM is reduced from 12GB (North America S20 5G) to 6GB (North America FE).

Everything about this phone is great, but I'm in the small minority that can't do 6GB of RAM. For most people, this is a great phone, at a great price, with a top-shelf processor. I would get an app to monitor your ram usage in the top bar, however.

God bless.
It's not a Retina display, that's on iPhones.

The S20FE 5G has a Super Amoled 1080×2400 display with HDR10 and 120hz.

Here's a link to the full specs which will vary a little from variant to variant and country to country https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s ... -10377.php
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1023 posts
1674 upvotes
Alberta
redflagdealsguy wrote: Did they change their bands since WIND? WIND was complete garbage back [in the day]..
redflagdealsguy wrote: So... same as WIND then.
LOL
No, not the same as WIND.
Shaw has poured money into network upgrades.
Deployment of 700MHz Band 13 has made quite a difference.
Most recently Shaw spent $482M on 600MHz Band 71 spectrum.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17108 posts
19042 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: It's not a Retina display, that's on iPhones.
Let's not parse words, the PPI puts the FE into what was considered 'retina' range on iPhones. 'Retina' is shorthand to convey that meaning.
The S20FE 5G has a Super Amoled 1080×2400 display with HDR10 and 120hz.
This feels like Snopes saying 'no, but yes'. I don't disagree.
Here's a link to the full specs which will vary a little from variant to variant and country to country https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s ... -10377.php
...
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1425 posts
552 upvotes
John8graz wrote: Can't beat their device prices. But that 20GB data isn't usable if most of the time there is no network coverage. I'm currently with Freedom and most of the time if you are inside a building Freedom doesn't have signal or lost its signal. Mind you that this is in Metro Vancouver.
Been with them since 2012. It's very YMMV and for me it's been fine and I understand the limitations. What's helpful is the ability to roam on other networks without additional fees. Though it doesn't happen often for my usage, it's nice to have especially going to interior BC or the US. Also, I've noticed some network improvements. For example, the most notable for me was Costco's around the lower mainland having coverage.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17108 posts
19042 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: LOL
No, not the same as WIND.
Shaw has poured money into network upgrades.
Deployment of 700MHz Band 13 has made quite a difference.
Most recently Shaw spent $482M on 600MHz Band 71 spectrum.
Let's be fair, I think Band 13 is the game changer if properly rolled out.

Here's a detailed assessment.

============
Pros
Works pretty good if you’re in city centres

4G LTE seems to be working well in city centres

Price for the coverage is great if you rarely go outside of the Home area

December 2017: TTC Subway Platform & Some Tunnel Coverage – Seriously? Yes! – Freedom Mobile now works on every single TTC subway platform, including new line 1 extension platforms. It also works in the tunnel on the Yonge line between Bloor Street and King Street as well as from around the new Downsview Park station all the way north to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station!

Cons
If you travel between city centres i.e. Toronto to Ottawa there will be dead zones and roaming charges in between the two cities

Go to the cottage often? Or Blue Mountain? Good luck getting reception

4G LTE network still needs work outside of the city centres

According to the Freedom Mobile website, over 1.3 million Canadians will get access to fast LTE data in 2019.

In addition, they’ve also started to push their roll out of Extended LTE which is their Band 13 LTE (700MHZ low-band spectrum).

What Extended LTE means is you should get stronger coverage in areas where you currently get just ok coverage as this spectrum has a better ability to penetrate walls.

This should also help Freedom expand their network further. Extended LTE is available in the GTA – if you’ve noticed a difference let us know in the comments below!

...

Recommendation
Great for those who want large amounts of data
Good for those who are usually in the city/close to the core
Cheaper than the big 3 (on a straight up plan for plan basis)

Any downsides? Who is Freedom Not For?
If you spend a lot of time at the cottage or in rural areas
if you’re on the road a lot travelling between larger cities and smaller towns
If reception is imperative to your job function, such as for salespeople where a missed call can be detrimental
Source: https://techdaily.ca/mobile/carriers/fr ... le/review/
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2013
5429 posts
1293 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Gtaphotog wrote: It's not a Retina display, that's on iPhones.

The S20FE 5G has a Super Amoled 1080×2400 display with HDR10 and 120hz.

Here's a link to the full specs which will vary a little from variant to variant and country to country https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s ... -10377.php
another screen to bw burnout.

Freedom Mobile F&F

Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6338 posts
5543 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Let's not parse words, the PPI puts the FE into what was considered 'retina' range on iPhones. 'Retina' is shorthand to convey that meaning.
This feels like Snopes saying 'no, but yes'. I don't disagree.
...
For 99% of people familiar with smartphones when the word retina is used they think of the iPhones retina display and when the word(s) Super Amoled is used it's almost always Samsung display, no one reason not to use the correct terms to correlate with the correct devices to lessen the confusion.

While iPhones displays are pretty damn good they can't be compared to the latest Amoleds from Samsung… even though both displays are produced by Samsung. I have the iPhone SE² and Note20U so obviously the size difference is ridiculous in comparison but you can see the differences in display technology on both.
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2016
961 posts
1236 upvotes
Mississauga
Drewst18 wrote: I just got an s10 from freedom on Tuesday, should I bring it back for this deal?
I would. You're still within the return window. New is usually better.
NavieM wrote: Can’t stand their service but upvoted cause the deal is actually really good

If only the regular carriers could have promos like this
This is the sentiment I am hoping most people will adopt. Instead of bashing Freedom, acknowledge what they are doing for the market. In some high population areas, they've got good service if not great. With deals like this, they've been chipping away at the Big 3's user base and this has been forcing them to respond with targeted promos. Everyone is coming out on top with Freedom mobile. So my stand has always been "If the deal is suitable for you, grab it! If it isn't, don't stand in other people's way by downvoting and thread-crapping!" These guys are doing us all a solid.
777canadian wrote: Why can`t we wait for black Friday which is merely a month away....
You can, but there's no telling what deals will be available then.
d1ulove3 wrote: I have no issue using Freedom, I think that inside the building no signal issue is YMMV.
VoWiFi has helped ameliorate this for a lot of people.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17108 posts
19042 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: For 99% of people familiar with smartphones when the word retina is used they think of the iPhones retina display and when the word(s) Super Amoled is used it's almost always Samsung display, no one reason not to use the correct terms to correlate with the correct devices to lessen the confusion.

While iPhones displays are pretty damn good they can't be compared to the latest Amoleds from Samsung… even though both displays are produced by Samsung. I have the iPhone SE² and Note20U so obviously the size difference is ridiculous in comparison but you can see the differences in display technology on both.
This is just a semantics argument now, in my circle this word transcends Apple to mean higher PPI displays at large. However, to each their own.

The rest of your analysis deviates from PPI to discuss other tangentially-related items.

I say this with maximum respect, as you're nonetheless providing factual technical information. So let's call it bygones, I'm not looking for a Saturday afternoon back-and-forth.

God bless.

Top