Expired Hot Deals

Freedom Mobile

(Shaw) Home internet, no wireless service requirement, no contract, $60/150/unlimited [BC & AB]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 7:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1160 posts
1888 upvotes
Alberta

[Freedom Mobile] (Shaw) Home internet, no wireless service requirement, no contract, $60/150/unlimited [BC & AB]

Freedom (Shaw) home internet is now available without the requirement of Freedom wireless service.
$60/mo, 150/15, unlimited, no contract, self-install, no-fee modem.
Uses the Shaw infrastructure, same DOCSIS 3.1 WiFi gateway modem.

Available in BC & AB.
Advertised as limited-time BTS offer.

The same through Shaw (Fibre+ 150) is $105 month-to-month, $95 on contract.
https://www.shaw.ca/internet/plans
Telus 75/75 is $100/mo, $85 on contract.
https://www.telus.com/en/shop/home/internet/plans

If you have Freedom mobile wireless service ($15+/mo postpaid), $5 less @$55.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/special-offers
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/home-internet
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/home ... et-support

Last edited by pjw918 on Aug 4th, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
54 replies
Nov 24, 2019
64 posts
153 upvotes
I just renewed with Shaw, got the Internet 600 and new gateway for $70/mo
This is a decent deal if you don't want the 2 year contract but there are better values out there
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1706 posts
478 upvotes
Bulletproof35 wrote: I just renewed with Shaw, got the Internet 600 and new gateway for $70/mo
This is a decent deal if you don't want the 2 year contract but there are better values out there
That's only a better value if you need 600. If you are one person browsing email and watching Netflix, then it's $10/month extra so you can download email attachments in 0.0001 seconds instead of 0.0002 seconds. When I was shopping for Internet, Shaw reps on here could give me deals on 500 for $80+ but had no plans under $80. I don't need that speed so it wasn't really a deal for me, more like buying 10 of something at Costco for a deal when you only need one.

Regardless, I think this is a good deal as it's bringing first-party Internet service down to TPIA price levels and service terms (i.e. no contract).

I currently pay $50 for 75 with Can-Com (Shaw infrastructure) and would prefer to stick with them to support a small business. 75 is sufficient for my needs and the big telcos love to offer a deal then slowly raise the price over time forcing you to call them back again and again and beg for a retention deal.

But if 150 is the sweet spot for you, this is a good deal.
Last edited by Rishi on Aug 4th, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7097 posts
1619 upvotes
BC
Rishi wrote: That's only a better value if you need 600. If you are one person browsing email and watching Netflix, then it's $10/month so you can download email attachments in 0.0001 seconds instead of 0.0002 seconds.
If lower cost is more important than speed, why not go with Can-Com's 75Mbps plan for $50 and save another $10 over OP's deal? https://www.can-com.com/Bundles/Interne ... ne-Bundles

EDIT: lol, you edited your post as I was making mine, Can-Com FTW!
Apr 13, 2005
516 posts
201 upvotes
Lightspeed is $40 for 75mbp, but you need to supply own modem. Can get super cheap used ones for under $20. I think they use the same server as cancom, so not much difference in speed/quality.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2142 posts
1419 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
That upstream bandwidth could be problematic.
Dec 15, 2017
428 posts
404 upvotes
Calgary
Does anyone know if you are required to purchase the modem or is it a free rental?
Telus EPP: 20GB/$50
"Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1160 posts
1888 upvotes
Alberta
Kwirky wrote: If lower cost is more important than speed, why not go with Can-Com's 75Mbps plan for $50 and save another $10 over OP's deal? https://www.can-com.com/Bundles/Interne ... ne-Bundles
A wireless router is required to connect multiple or wireless devices to your Can Com Internet connection.
aaa111 wrote: Lightspeed is $40 for 75mbp, but you need to supply own modem. Can get super cheap used ones for under $20. I think they use the same server as cancom, so not much difference in speed/quality.
No modem, price requires contract.
intelpentium400 wrote: Does anyone know if you are required to purchase the modem or is it a free rental?
Free rental, no deposit.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1040 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
i have using this for couple of years now
the speed is pretty fast and the wifi signal has decent coverage
the only problem are the included Blue Curve router doesn't allow to changed wifi frequency, or modified VPN or DNS settings.
Last edited by gwmkwan on Aug 4th, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2142 posts
1419 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
The wifi on that modem works very well for me, BTW. Great coverage despite it being in the basement.
Dec 15, 2017
428 posts
404 upvotes
Calgary
gwmkwan wrote: i have using this for couple of years now
the speed is pretty fast and the wifi signal has decent coverage
the only problem are the included Blue Curve router doesn't allow to changed wifi frequency, or modified VPN or DNS settings.
Thanks for the info. I'm likely going to sign up to this.
Any other useful info I should know about before signing up?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1040 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
intelpentium400 wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm likely going to sign up to this.
Any other useful info I should know about before signing up?
The setup was quite simple
it is basically sign up and get the modem/router in store
plug it in at home and follow the setup instruction
it is actually faster compared scheduling a technician to do the setup
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7097 posts
1619 upvotes
BC
pjw918 wrote: A wireless router is required to connect multiple or wireless devices to your Can Com Internet connection.
pjw918 wrote: Disappointing if it doesn't allow custom DNS.
It does allow bridging, thankfully.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/supp ... --en--0--1
This seems like a contradiction; if you're bridging you don't need the wifi built into the gateway, so why point out that Can-Com doesn't include a wireless router when you're thankful you can disable wifi/routing on the Freedom gateway?
Jun 17, 2020
109 posts
54 upvotes
Door to Door Shaw Reps can give you Internet 300 (300D and 15U) for 60 a month plus 200 sign up credit for new customers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1160 posts
1888 upvotes
Alberta
Kwirky wrote: This seems like a contradiction; if you're bridging you don't need the wifi built into the gateway, so why point out that Can-Com doesn't include a wireless router when you're thankful you can disable wifi/routing on the Freedom gateway?
Like others I happen to be in the habit of bridging the ISP modem and using my own router with custom firmware.
Most would probably prefer the no-hassle simplicity of an included, fully-functioning, free-of-charge, WiFi router/modem.
Mar 12, 2006
518 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
So for us in Alberta this would be faster (ping, latency) than cancom, or lightspeed as it wouldn't be routed from BC ?
Dec 15, 2017
428 posts
404 upvotes
Calgary
wpgdeals1482 wrote: Door to Door Shaw Reps can give you Internet 300 (300D and 15U) for 60 a month plus 200 sign up credit for new customers
I've heard of this but I haven't seen those deals offered in years.
Jun 17, 2020
109 posts
54 upvotes
intelpentium400 wrote: I've heard of this but I haven't seen those deals offered in years.
Its available, helped three friends sign up in June and in July. Just have to find a rep at the mall in those kiosks, or a sales rep somewhere in your local city
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1630 posts
3687 upvotes
Rishi wrote: That's only a better value if you need 600. If you are one person browsing email and watching Netflix, then it's $10/month extra so you can download email attachments in 0.0001 seconds instead of 0.0002 seconds. When I was shopping for Internet, Shaw reps on here could give me deals on 500 for $80+ but had no plans under $80. I don't need that speed so it wasn't really a deal for me, more like buying 10 of something at Costco for a deal when you only need one.

Regardless, I think this is a good deal as it's bringing first-party Internet service down to TPIA price levels and service terms (i.e. no contract).

I currently pay $50 for 75 with Can-Com (Shaw infrastructure) and would prefer to stick with them to support a small business. 75 is sufficient for my needs and the big telcos love to offer a deal then slowly raise the price over time forcing you to call them back again and again and beg for a retention deal.

But if 150 is the sweet spot for you, this is a good deal.
You can get a loyalty plan of Internet 300 from Shaw for $55/mo. That's what I've had for the last 4 years.

Actually when I renewed 2 years ago it was $50/mo, I just re-upped for $55/mo.