• Dec 18th, 2020 1:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10596 posts
12779 upvotes
Vancouver

Freedom mobile spam calls and texts

I signed up for Freedom Mobile a month ago. With the temporary number they gave me (604-700-3xxx), I got spam calls and texts every day, and they started the day of activation. They ended only after I ported my number over from another carrier. Is this typical with Freedom? Strange thing is my wife also got a 604-700-3xxx number from Freedom at the same time, and got no spam at all.
4 replies
Dec 5, 2011
545 posts
507 upvotes
YVR
Kiraly wrote: I signed up for Freedom Mobile a month ago. With the temporary number they gave me (604-700-3xxx), I got spam calls and texts every day, and they started the day of activation. They ended only after I ported my number over from another carrier. Is this typical with Freedom? Strange thing is my wife also got a 604-700-3xxx number from Freedom at the same time, and got no spam at all.
Freedom numbers have been getting hit so hard with spammers lately. I would say since the summer, I get a few A DAY. It's a problem that Freedom knows about. They basically just say they are sorry and give you a few $ off for 3-6 months. They must be selling our numbers or something. If your wife hasn't been getting spam calls, just wait, she will be getting them soon. There are so many complaints on r/freedommobile.

If I didn't have an absolutely killer plan, I would port out asap.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
the numbers / exchange were being targeted even before you joined freedom mobile (formerly wind mobile) when you ported your number your phone number changed so their auto dialer didnt get to you yet, you might get spam or maybe not, its up to the spammers how they programmed their auto dialers
Hi
Dec 6, 2020
375 posts
353 upvotes
Scammers use autodialers that hit all valid numbers, either sequentially or over time. As much as Canada's generous cell phone carriers would love to profit by selling their number lists, raw numbers aren't all that valuable anymore.

How many scam calls you get depends on how effectively the carrier blocks bulk scam calls. This is certainly an area where the lower-cost arms of the three robbers have an incentive to skimp, especially for customers on plans with limited incoming minutes.