Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
Feb 28, 2015
609 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So you guys think its still possible to downgrade for 0.99$ when purchased from bestbuy or target? Or its the 15$ charge? I'd like to pick up a sim shortly from one of these.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1397 posts
3358 upvotes
Pawtucket
nahsha wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 11:56 pm
So you guys think its still possible to downgrade for 0.99$ when purchased from bestbuy or target? Or its the 15$ charge? I'd like to pick up a sim shortly from one of these.
No need to downgrade if you pickup the sims at Target or BB. You can the free plan immediately and just pay the $0.99 activation fee. Just make sure you choose the free plan and NOT the Free Trial plan (the one that comes with 2gb of data for the first month). If you choose the Free Trial plan, you will need to pay $15 to downgrade to the free plan before the trial period ends.
Feb 28, 2015
609 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal, QC
redboy69 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:42 am
No need to downgrade if you pickup the sims at Target or BB. You can the free plan immediately and just pay the $0.99 activation fee. Just make sure you choose the free plan and NOT the Free Trial plan (the one that comes with 2gb of data for the first month). If you choose the Free Trial plan, you will need to pay $15 to downgrade to the free plan before the trial period ends.
Awesome, I paid 99c as you said and added 5$ of credit and disabled auto topup. :) Wonder if they can refund it somehow now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1397 posts
3358 upvotes
Pawtucket
nahsha wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:08 pm
Awesome, I paid 99c as you said and added 5$ of credit and disabled auto topup. :) Wonder if they can refund it somehow now?
Your credit balance expires after 30 days so you will need to go into your account and reactivate each month, otherwise you lose it after 90 days I think.
https://support.freedompop.com/app/feat ... er/id/2233
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1218 posts
230 upvotes
Bedford
So I am in Miami and looking for some cheap mobile data. Does it make sense to purchase the freedompop sim at best buy for $4.99, go on the 2 GB trial, then cancel? Any hidden fees?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8921 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
jerryhung wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 9:28 am
I keep losing my Global SIM phone # and have to re-activate account and get new number often
not sure if they still work anyway
Same with LTE Sim, it must connect to the CELL NETWORK or else you lose the number.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50560 posts
15335 upvotes
Now that Amazon Visa will be closing soon, I will no longer be dinged any 1 cent fees.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1397 posts
3358 upvotes
Pawtucket
jerryhung wrote:
I keep losing my Global SIM phone # and have to re-activate account and get new number often
If your account is still active, then it should still work. My global sims currently still work in the US so I would think they still work overseas.
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:32 am
Now that Amazon Visa will be closing soon, I will no longer be dinged any 1 cent fees.
What I liked about Chase is that if your statement is less than $1.00, Chase will automatically credit that amount because its too small a balance. Too bad they are closing :(
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22516 posts
4361 upvotes
Waterloo
jerryhung wrote:
so, Global SIM still works in Europe, Yah!
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50560 posts
15335 upvotes
My $5 credits didn't expire on the LTE sims. But I had to choose new phone numbers for most of our accounts.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1708 posts
481 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 5:53 pm
My $5 credits didn't expire on the LTE sims. But I had to choose new phone numbers for most of our accounts.
Interesting. I was being prompted to take a new number recently (in US), but knowing how shady FP is, I didn't bite and ended up not using it. Popped the sim in once back here and it still shows the number that I've always had for the sim. Also, logging in online, it still shows the number for that sim. The heck is going on?

Also, my 2 international sims now only show 200 MB/month, the 500 extra I had from "freedompop friends" is gone... can we still do mass email friend request from that slick deals list of emails and add it back?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1397 posts
3358 upvotes
Pawtucket
notfromqc wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 4:15 pm
Interesting. I was being prompted to take a new number recently (in US), but knowing how shady FP is, I didn't bite and ended up not using it. Popped the sim in once back here and it still shows the number that I've always had for the sim. Also, logging in online, it still shows the number for that sim. The heck is going on?

Also, my 2 international sims now only show 200 MB/month, the 500 extra I had from "freedompop friends" is gone... can we still do mass email friend request from that slick deals list of emails and add it back?
You were smart not to take the new number. They always try new things to steal your money.

I've also had instances where I did not receive the 500mb "friends" bonus for the month. I think this is because there was no activity on that sim for a while so I just made a few random calls using the app so that it looked like I used the sim and the 500mb came back the following month.
If you need the data now, then you could go to the SD friends thread to request some new ones. Otherwise, just make a few calls using the FP app and you should get the data back next month.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1708 posts
481 upvotes
redboy69 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 9:55 pm
You were smart not to take the new number. They always try new things to steal your money.

I've also had instances where I did not receive the 500mb "friends" bonus for the month. I think this is because there was no activity on that sim for a while so I just made a few random calls using the app so that it looked like I used the sim and the 500mb came back the following month.
If you need the data now, then you could go to the SD friends thread to request some new ones. Otherwise, just make a few calls using the FP app and you should get the data back next month.
Ok, so following up... I logged in to the Messaging app on wifi at home (Canada). Using the LTE credentials, it's as though nothing happened, still shows 700 MB data, and not asking for number change, even though it was when I was in the US.

I checked my Global sims. When I logged in to the app manuall for these, it prompted for a new number. I recalled reading that if you request a new number, there would be a charge, but if it's assigned to you, there wouldn't be, so I tried it to see. I got new numbers for both Global sims, no charges. Both on the app and when I log in to the web site (on PC), I see 200MB as the data limit, so I made a call on each, we'll see if that restores it for next month. I also copy/pasted some emails from the slickdeals thread and sent out requests. I see they are limiting the input to 300 characters at a time so you can't put in a huge list at one time. I'll report back in a few weeks with any develpments. (hopefully I remember lol)