Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 2:17 pm
Jan 19, 2006
415 posts
196 upvotes
BC
I have LTE SIM. Lost my number due to no activity. Chose a new number so as to have one. Not charged for this.

I believe I was not charged because I was not dumping a working number to get a "new" number, but just obtaining one to use the service.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1684 posts
469 upvotes
cloudsuck wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 2:02 pm
I have LTE SIM. Lost my number due to no activity. Chose a new number so as to have one. Not charged for this.

I believe I was not charged because I was not dumping a working number to get a "new" number, but just obtaining one to use the service.
I agree.

Did you have more than the basic 200 MB before (ie from freedom friends), and if so did you lose the extra data when you got your new number? That's what happened to me for my Global sims, but from what I can tell I haven't lost it for my LTE sim.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1343 posts
3238 upvotes
Pawtucket
A word of caution for anyone looking to activate a new LTE sim on the BYOD. As you go through the checkout page, there is an option to add $10.00 to your account making your total $10.99 ($0.99 to activate sim and $10.00 to add credit to your account). I made sure to uncheck the $10 box so my final total should be $0.99. After everything was processed, I noticed that they charged me $10.99 even though I didn't want the account credit.

I PM'd the FP rep on Slickdeals and they were quick to refund me the $10 but I just wanted to warn everyone in case this happens to you.

Just be careful as this is another sneaky tactic on their part.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22143 posts
4137 upvotes
Waterloo
This is sneaky, auto charging me $5 USD for doing nothing without any email, only notification after I login (and only b/c I saw it on my CC account)
"You have not upgraded your Global SIM to our LTE SIM as per email communication. As the free plan is being discontinued on the Global SIM, you have now been opted into our paid $4.99 plan as previously indicated."

This happened on 1 account, the other still $0, very strange
I've closed BOTH accounts for good

03 Apr FREEDOMPOP CA 888-743-8107 $0.01
25 Mar FREEDOMPOP CA 888-743-8107 $6.62
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1343 posts
3238 upvotes
Pawtucket
jerryhung wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 5:15 pm
This is sneaky, auto charging me $5 USD for doing nothing without any email, only notification after I login (and only b/c I saw it on my CC account)
"You have not upgraded your Global SIM to our LTE SIM as per email communication. As the free plan is being discontinued on the Global SIM, you have now been opted into our paid $4.99 plan as previously indicated."

This happened on 1 account, the other still $0, very strange
I've closed BOTH accounts for good

03 Apr FREEDOMPOP CA 888-743-8107 $0.01
25 Mar FREEDOMPOP CA 888-743-8107 $6.62
So sneaky. I still have a few Globals left and may close them just to be on the safe side.

You should message the FP rep on Slickdeals. They are much better than trying the normal Customer Service and might be able to refund you the $4.99. Worth a shot. If not, you could always dispute that charge.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22143 posts
4137 upvotes
Waterloo
redboy69 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 1:31 am
So sneaky. I still have a few Globals left and may close them just to be on the safe side.

You should message the FP rep on Slickdeals. They are much better than trying the normal Customer Service and might be able to refund you the $4.99. Worth a shot. If not, you could always dispute that charge.
I know their support/reps have been helpful (in the past) for me

but honestly I don't even want to deal with them anymore, period, no CC on file, no SIM
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10641 posts
1635 upvotes
So is going into bestbuy and buying the sim the cheapest way to get it done?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1343 posts
3238 upvotes
Pawtucket
sexyj wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 12:31 pm
So is going into bestbuy and buying the sim the cheapest way to get it done?
Yes. Wait for them to go on sale for $0.99 and then activate on the free plan. See post #1519 above about being charged the $10.00 topup. If you do, msg FP and they should be able to credit you.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4007 posts
787 upvotes
GTEH!
redboy69 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 1:53 am
FP is really sneaky now when you order directly from them. They give you the free monthly trial just as before but will charge you to downgrade to the Free plan. Previously there was no charge to downgrade.

To get around this charge, you can order the sim from the Best Buy or Target and then Activate the sim card yourself on Freedompop.com. Just make sure you do not accept any of the free trials like the rollover data and the 30 day Trial 2gb plan. Your total charge should be just $0.99 for the activation fee and you should only see the Basic LTE plan (200min/500text/200data) without the free trial. See attached. It should look exactly like this. If you see the 2gb trial in the summary, then you will need to go back to ensure you don't select the trial plan.

Capture.JPG
Wish I knew this before ordering from FP. Saw the $15 charge and didn't know what it was at 1st. After reading this thread now I know the $15 is to downgrade to the Free plan. Kind of sneaky. Angry Face
Oh, well. I'll use the SIM card until FP starts to "charge" other fees.
😎
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10641 posts
1635 upvotes
The sim is 99 cent now at BB and target
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2719 posts
506 upvotes
Just checked my freedompop account.. they seem to have deleted all my former freedompop friends ... now back down to 200mb monthly data. Funny thing is I had a few pending friend requests, once I accepted, the data allowance went back up 50mb at a time... but still need some new friends to bump back up to former level
Aug 22, 2001
860 posts
326 upvotes
Vancouver
coilz wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 1:46 am
Just checked my freedompop account.. they seem to have deleted all my former freedompop friends ... now back down to 200mb monthly data. Funny thing is I had a few pending friend requests, once I accepted, the data allowance went back up 50mb at a time... but still need some new friends to bump back up to former level
Did you use the service for at least 5MB in the past billing cycle? If not, FreedomPop has been removing any bonuses until the minimum usage requirement has been met again.

On that note, has anyone figured out to meet this usage requirement from Canada? I'm in the States most months but not every single month!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2719 posts
506 upvotes
AEmgee wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 1:40 am
Did you use the service for at least 5MB in the past billing cycle? If not, FreedomPop has been removing any bonuses until the minimum usage requirement has been met again.

On that note, has anyone figured out to meet this usage requirement from Canada? I'm in the States most months but not every single month!
Oh that sucks that they're working that had to clean out dormant accounts. Wonder why they're cracking down? I guess I'll just have to save up my friend requests till I need to use it. Will be going to the states in aug/sept. I used to just send a text from/to the account once a month to keep it alive, but now it needs actual data usage.....?

It would be nice if we can use it in Canada. I can't even update the Freedompop app on IOS app store since they decided to lock it to US app store only sometime last year.
Aug 22, 2001
860 posts
326 upvotes
Vancouver
coilz wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 11:02 am
I used to just send a text from/to the account once a month to keep it alive, but now it needs actual data usage.....?
Or you can make at least 5 calls during your billing cycle.