Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 2:17 pm
Aug 25, 2010
24 posts
4 upvotes
vancouver
you have to pay $5 to cancel the top up
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
notfromqc wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 10:48 pm
I used Paypal to begin with as well, so I didn't change my payment method, but I clicked on Edit anyway and set up Paypal again.

I got the menus back before FP responded to my ticket, and when they did respond they said basically "sorry about that email, you can disregard, you can log in and see for yourself the account is active". I wonder if I had just waited, if I would have gotten the same email about fraud. Weird that Paypal would flag FP as fraud for one person but not someone else?

Maybe try again to re-establish Paypal as your payment method?
Edit: or contact Paypal to notify them FP authorization was legit

oh no. So I re-established paypal fine and when checked billing overview it charged me $27.98. Not sure what that was for. It shows up under my billing but paypal only shows authorization for $0.01. I went to paypal authorization and saw $27.98 pending so I unauthorized it. Hopefully I still don't get charged.
Aug 12, 2016
336 posts
216 upvotes
southnam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 10:16 am
oh no. So I re-established paypal fine and when checked billing overview it charged me $27.98. Not sure what that was for. It shows up under my billing but paypal only shows authorization for $0.01. I went to paypal authorization and saw $27.98 pending so I unauthorized it. Hopefully I still don't get charged.
That's the charge for the premium service trial they must of took the trial away when you reestablished your paypal and then charged you for the full price of it. Kinda like how they took away my 1GB but I had already downgraded everything else before I switched to paypal so I didn't get any charges. Make sure to go back and downgrade your plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1685 posts
469 upvotes
southnam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 10:16 am
That's really messed up. So random how it works for some and not others.

The $27.98 is the monthly amount for this Global SIM deal with the default plan ($19.99) plus one of the services, I forget what it's called, but it costs $7.99. I remember in the fine print at the initial signup it mentions this amount. But you definitely shouldn't be billed for that at this point.
Definitely should start a support ticket with them. To give you an idea of response time I got, I initially signed up on Monday, got the 'your account has been cancelled' email on Tuesday, started a ticket the same day and got a response on Thursday, but meanwhile I "fixed" my account on Wednesday. Of course it's a safe bet it will be slower because of the BF craziness right now.

Crossing my fingers for you, good luck
Mar 9, 2005
197 posts
19 upvotes
I'm seeing the Ebates offer as $10 cash back, and not the $5 mentioned here. It applies to the $.25 SIM offer or the $.99 SIM + microSD offer. Has it changed? Makes this an even better deal...

Edit: Answered my own question. It's a Black Friday double cash back promotion.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
notfromqc wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 10:41 am
That's really messed up. So random how it works for some and not others.

The $27.98 is the monthly amount for this Global SIM deal with the default plan ($19.99) plus one of the services, I forget what it's called, but it costs $7.99. I remember in the fine print at the initial signup it mentions this amount. But you definitely shouldn't be billed for that at this point.
Definitely should start a support ticket with them. To give you an idea of response time I got, I initially signed up on Monday, got the 'your account has been cancelled' email on Tuesday, started a ticket the same day and got a response on Thursday, but meanwhile I "fixed" my account on Wednesday. Of course it's a safe bet it will be slower because of the BF craziness right now.

Crossing my fingers for you, good luck
Thanks.
so after redid the PayPal thing it let me see all the info such as my account etc... well now it won't again and the $27.98 charge has gone through with PayPal...

They seem to have no reasoning to their charges based on case by case.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1488 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
those buckers still charge me after I deactivated my account, this time charged USD$7.99 and USD$12.98 - WTF~!!!!!!

I am going to call up Amex to reverse it, ridiculous.
Feb 25, 2015
692 posts
613 upvotes
NB
Just got an email with the link.
$0.25 SIM, 1GB trial for 1 month, 1GB bonus
I am wondering if the latter is permanent month to month 1GB. Thoughts?
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Aug 25, 2010
24 posts
4 upvotes
vancouver
for the friends bonus data, is it permanent or do we have to add friends every month?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
vaporize wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 2:03 pm
those buckers still charge me after I deactivated my account, this time charged USD$7.99 and USD$12.98 - WTF~!!!!!!

I am going to call up Amex to reverse it, ridiculous.
You are lucky., I was charged $27.98
Apr 14, 2010
201 posts
50 upvotes
Always...and i mean ALWAYS...use a prepaid credit card or a virtual card like ntrust
Mar 9, 2005
197 posts
19 upvotes
carbide wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 2:04 pm
Just got an email with the link.
$0.25 SIM, 1GB trial for 1 month, 1GB bonus
I am wondering if the latter is permanent month to month 1GB. Thoughts?
The 1GB bonus if for the first month only according to the Slickdeals thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2571 posts
675 upvotes
West
southnam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 12:22 pm
Thanks.
so after redid the PayPal thing it let me see all the info such as my account etc... well now it won't again and the $27.98 charge has gone through with PayPal...

They seem to have no reasoning to their charges based on case by case.
Trying to piece this together:
Did you downgrade to the free plan right after buying the sim card or had you not yet downgraded it before getting the menu's back?
Did your initial phone number get deleted and you had to go select a new one?
On the Koodo $40 for 6GB Plan 😉
Nov 4, 2015
459 posts
226 upvotes
Ontario
kendorama wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 3:08 am
I cancelled top-up and downgraded. I noticed a $5 USD charge to my Paypal the day I signed up. Da heck.
They charge $5 to cancel top-up.