Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
Aug 12, 2016
338 posts
216 upvotes
RichRFD wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 10:48 am
They charge $5 to cancel top-up.
They don't charge 5 dollars for taking it off it isn't a service fee. It is more like a balance to protect them because apparently sprint (which is their main carrier although GSM uses T-mobile and At&T) doesn't report data instantly so you could go over a bit and the 5 dollars gives it something to charge against. This is my understanding of it. If you look in billing overview it will show a 5 dollar credit.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 7:19 pm
Trying to piece this together:
Did you downgrade to the free plan right after buying the sim card or had you not yet downgraded it before getting the menu's back?
Did your initial phone number get deleted and you had to go select a new one?
I did not get a chance to downgrade it before they cancelled my order. I re-entered my paypal and was then charged the $27.98 and then I downgraded and removed services. They then have now sent me an email saying that it has been cancelled again even though they just charged me $27.98. Although my newly selected number still shows on my account.

My original number was indeed cancelled.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2607 posts
704 upvotes
West
southnam wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 4:00 pm
I did not get a chance to downgrade it before they cancelled my order. I re-entered my paypal and was then charged the $27.98 and then I downgraded and removed services. They then have now sent me an email saying that it has been cancelled again even though they just charged me $27.98. Although my newly selected number still shows on my account.

My original number was indeed cancelled.
hmm... What I'm trying to figure out is if they charged you:
A) because you hadn't downgraded your services before the account was de-activated, so when re-establishing your payment info it started you up on the 1 month plan (not the free trial) ($19.99 + $7.99 Premium Service)
OR
B) because you clicked the 'Get new phone number' and picked a new phone number which states "Price: FREE with FreedomPop service purchase" and you were charged for the FreedomPop service purchase.
On the Koodo $40 for 8GB Plan 😉
Aug 12, 2016
338 posts
216 upvotes
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 5:24 pm
hmm... What I'm trying to figure out is if they charged you:
A) because you hadn't downgraded your services before the account was de-activated, so when re-establishing your payment info it started you up on the 1 month plan (not the free trial) ($19.99 + $7.99 Premium Service)
OR
B) because you clicked the 'Get new phone number' and picked a new phone number which states "Price: FREE with FreedomPop service purchase" and you were charged for the FreedomPop service purchase.
I think it's option A because when I restarted mine it took away my trial stuff and my extra 1GB. Which leads me to believe when they cancel the account it then restarts everything when you put your billing info back in. I picked a new number and was never charged.

I would suggest to everyone the instant you order your SIM go in and downgrade everything before they cancel the account and then when you redo your billing it shouldn't charge you anything.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1498 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
southnam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 2:33 pm
You are lucky., I was charged $27.98
Now the first month, I was charged $44.67 and $29.78. I thought I did not cancel it, so it's my fault. These new charges are after I have cancelled and deactivated the account and they STILL charge me.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4682 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver
glad I didn't get this with all the troubles that some folks have.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1402 posts
3365 upvotes
Pawtucket
Sorry to hear that some of you are having billing issues. My advice is to contact the FP rep on Slickdeals. S/He is much more responsive than the regular customer service people. It will take a day or two to respond but I've always been satisfied with the service s/he provides. Just send you FP account email address along with your problem and they should be able to make it right.

I personally ordered 3 more global sims from ebates.com when they had the BF cashback for $10.00 and all 3 shipped today and I got $30.00 cashback in my account. Made sure to downgrade both plan and premium voice services. Changed payment to prepaid CC to avoid unwanted charges.

If you are wanting to order more than 1 sim, I recommend using the GMAIL trick to avoid having to makeup random email addresses.

ie. RFD@gmail.com, RFD+1@gmail.com, RFD+2@gmail.com...etc. All emails will go to original RFD@gmail.com address but will be treated as different accounts.
Apr 24, 2010
541 posts
182 upvotes
Canada
Where to get a prepaid CC without annual fee?
Feb 25, 2015
746 posts
775 upvotes
NB
Amowagou wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 8:58 am
This is when prepaid promo cards from tyre purchases, cereals, etc. come in handy.
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Jul 15, 2006
76 posts
44 upvotes
carbide wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 9:26 am
This is when prepaid promo cards from tyre purchases, cereals, etc. come in handy.
But don't these expire after a year or something? What happen when it expires and you have it on file and they charge you?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
is this roam sim any better? i can get it for 5.99 at ncix

Roam Mobility 4G LTE 3-IN-1 US Travel SIM Card
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Nov 10, 2003
711 posts
120 upvotes
mikka1989 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 9:44 am
is this roam sim any better? i can get it for 5.99 at ncix

Roam Mobility 4G LTE 3-IN-1 US Travel SIM Card
As a person currently using Roam while in Manhattan, NY, I really suggest you look elsewhere for a provider unless you are in a pinch. My service with Roam has been hit and miss during my entire trip. In summary, the LTE did not work when i arrived at Laguardia and i only got a solid connection 3 hrs after arriving at the hotel. I set it to activate an hour before my arrival to ensure it would be available. Since then, everytime i lost data connection because i had taken a subway, the LTE connection would not lock on, constantly searching for a connection. When this happened, my phone's battery would be drained in an hour.

I've used Roam in the past and they've been great. I had the sim already so I just decided to go with them again but this will most likely be the last given all the issues I've had with their coverage.
Feb 25, 2015
746 posts
775 upvotes
NB
Hang wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 9:41 am
But don't these expire after a year or something? What happen when it expires and you have it on file and they charge you?
Then they cannot charge. That's the point.
Your data connection stops working when it reaches the monthly limit - until the limit resets next month.
That's my semi-educated guess. Will try and see: if it works, fine, if it doesn't, well, I am out of 50 cents max.
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2607 posts
704 upvotes
West
Amowagou wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 8:58 am
Ntrust.com, sign up and use the virtual credit card.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2607 posts
704 upvotes
West
carbide wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 10:59 am
Then they cannot charge. That's the point.
Your data connection stops working when it reaches the monthly limit - until the limit resets next month.
That's my semi-educated guess. Will try and see: if it works, fine, if it doesn't, well, I am out of 50 cents max.
More that $0.50, as you have to get it shipped with a border service or go pick it up in the US unless you have someone in the states you can send it to. Still only around $5 total so not a huge deal.