Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1912 posts
207 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 9:40 pm
Get the SIM sent to a US address provided by mymallbox, they can forward to you from there. I ordered on the 21st or 22nd I think, and it was marked as delivered by FedEx on the 28th (around 4:30 pm). Today (30th) I got the notification from MMB so I got them to airmail USPS it here, cheapest option, was $2.27USD.
Thanks :) Wish I would have known it before. Leaving next Saturday and it wont make it before that :(
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1708 posts
481 upvotes
Yeah I just discovered this service myself thanks to this thread. Definitely more useful than to ship to an address near the border and bringing it across myself. Only way I could see myself doing that would be for very high ticket item, which I'm probably never going to buy online.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1245 upvotes
GVRD
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 5:49 pm
If you go to Settings->General->About, the phone will attempt to download the appropriate carrier settings for the network sim you have inserted.
Couple things you need:

1) Change/Add APN manually
2) Manually select FreedomPOP on the network carrier location

FP runs on both AT&T and T-Mobile and you will see a list of 6-7 networks, a few of them are EDGE; you will see when you phone indicated 3G or EGDE.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... m-sim-card
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
okay... just an update for those who are interested about what went wrong with my order.. Hopefully it helps others.
Summary.
- I ordered on 2 sims on different accounts on Nov 21st using Canadian PayPal.
- I did not get a chance to downgrade service yet and the very next day got a cancellation email.
- I contacted freedompop and they said "To address your concern, we’ve received a notification from your card issuer that the FreedomPop charged were reported as Fraud. Due to this report we had to cancel the account." This didn't sit well with me because the charge went through with Paypal.
- Despite the cancellation I got notification of my sim card being shipped the next day showing delivery for end of November via fedex.
- As suggested by another user I went back in and re-entered my PayPal information and set up a new phone number. I authorized paypal again and was automatically charged $27.98 usd. Not to others, if you don't downgrade right away, any changes to your payment may result in being charged the default monthly plans and extra services. Learn from me lol..
- The next day I also got another cancellation email about this order citing fraud even though they took my money.
- I managed to get freedom pop to refund the $27.98 after a few days of emailing. Freedompop told me to take up the issue with PayPal about the "fraud"
- I called PayPal today and they said there is nothing in their system to indicate fraud and that they don't sent out emails to sellers like then I said. They said there should be no issue with Canadian PayPal sending items to US addresses, (which I already knew because I do it all the time).
- Paypal told me it was something to do with Freedompop's side not them or my credit card.

So maybe I'm just jinxed but hopefully this information helps others who may be trying to figure this out.

So now my issue is that my freedom pop card has arrived at mymallbox. I don't know if I want to pay for it to ship up to me or not because it may not work.

I may just set up a ntrust account and try ordering a new one as I do need a sim to occasionally use in the US and the free account with 200 +500 mb a month is just perfect.

For the users who got their orders "cancelled" then set up a new PayPal and phone number, did your original sim still work or did they deactivate it?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2607 posts
704 upvotes
West
southnam wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 11:23 am
okay... just an update for those who are interested about what went wrong with my order..
I would just tell MyMallbox to throw it, the SIM card is worthless now. Save yourself the $3 shipping for a dud card. You can certainly just order another one and make sure you downgrade immediately and you won;t have any issues.
On the Koodo $40 for 8GB Plan 😉
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
for those that used a canadian PayPal account. when it asks for your address on initial sign up, I assume you just used the address of mymallbox?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2607 posts
704 upvotes
West
southnam wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 3:48 pm
for those that used a canadian PayPal account. when it asks for your address on initial sign up, I assume you just used the address of mymallbox?
Don't use your paypal account!!! haven't you learned yet? (sorry for being a little harsh)

Best to use a prepaid credit card as FreedomPop has a long history of charging you ramdom stuff to no end.
On the Koodo $40 for 8GB Plan 😉
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2570 posts
371 upvotes
Nepean
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 4:01 pm
Don't use your paypal account!!! haven't you learned yet? (sorry for being a little harsh)

Best to use a prepaid credit card as FreedomPop has a long history of charging you ramdom stuff to no end.
lol.. no worries. Not harsh.

I have set up a ntrust.com account but was just still trying to figure out what the heck happened last time is all.
Jun 7, 2007
713 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Question about Ntrust.
I know there's a 1.9% fee to add money from a credit card. Why not just use a bank account where it's free to add the funds?
Nov 21, 2009
700 posts
184 upvotes
Calgary
I cancelled all the services immediately. Cancelled the authorization on paypal as well. A few days ago, I no loner saw my number that I registered with and saw a red font saying "click here to get a new number". I did so, and now my menus have disappeared. Did not receive any emails regarding account cancellations, and I still see my usage information. Just don't see the menu. If i click on "upgrade", it says my billing information is incorrect and need to update it. Not sure what is going on, but this company for sure is a shady company trying to fool people into subscribing to their paid plans. Do you think it would charge we $28 that it charged others if I put in my paypal information again?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1245 upvotes
GVRD
25jai wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 4:15 pm
Question about Ntrust.
I know there's a 1.9% fee to add money from a credit card. Why not just use a bank account where it's free to add the funds?
If your bank can issue you a prepaid credit card without fees.... Ntrust is the cheapest around.
Jun 7, 2007
713 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pkphilip wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 5:14 pm
If your bank can issue you a prepaid credit card without fees.... Ntrust is the cheapest around.
I didn't mean it that way, I meant that to add funds to NTrust, why use credit card to add funds to it (to your NTrust credit card), where it has a fee, and instead why not add a bank account to it and add it where it says is free?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1245 upvotes
GVRD
ssy080 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 4:56 pm
I cancelled all the services immediately. Cancelled the authorization on paypal as well. A few days ago, I no loner saw my number that I registered with and saw a red font saying "click here to get a new number". I did so, and now my menus have disappeared. Did not receive any emails regarding account cancellations, and I still see my usage information. Just don't see the menu. If i click on "upgrade", it says my billing information is incorrect and need to update it. Not sure what is going on, but this company for sure is a shady company trying to fool people into subscribing to their paid plans. Do you think it would charge we $28 that it charged others if I put in my paypal information again?
Do you want to take a screenshot under My account -> Plans?

Since you removed the authorization, I am wondering if you will benefit by changing to the free Whatsapp plan....
The WhatsApp SIM will come with unlimited WhatsApp usage, plus 200 MBs of additional data and 100 voice minutes, 100 percent free each month, giving Americans a simple and free way to stay in touch while they’re at home or abroad, without incurring costly roaming charges. FreedomPop has unified more than 30 mobile networks worldwide to bring free global data to users, with more to come.
In the following thread, there are 2 link, clicking the link will immediately change your plan to the free whatsapp plan, which is identical to the Global SIM plan.
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... m-customer
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1245 upvotes
GVRD
25jai wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 5:21 pm
I didn't mean it that way, I meant that to add funds to NTrust, why use credit card to add funds to it (to your NTrust credit card), where it has a fee, and instead why not add a bank account to it and add it where it says is free?
There is no fee to fund the nTrust Cloud account from a credit union, but there is a fee to load the disposable Mastercard.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
918 upvotes
It looks like what's happening is when you cancel the PayPal agreement freedompop gets notified automatically by PayPal and the system cancels your account. So to be safe future users should either stick to prepaid cards or create new PayPal, add prepaid card to it and don't cancel the PayPal agreement.