Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 11:19 am
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
bose wrote: Apparently, you need to add the Global Free 100 for free in order to use your sim in overseas but it won't let me add my nTrust MC Lite I just created.

Check this thread on the Freedompop forum: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... orm-errors

Also, just to reiterate, this service is for CALLING phone numbers in the countries listed. It has nothing to do with the SIM. the SIM is for DATA only and works in all supported countries without the need for this addon (meaning you get DATA connection). You can also make calls to USA & Canada from ANY country in the world as long as you have a data connection (mobile or Wifi), without the need for any addons (all you need is the Freedompop App and a data connection).
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: What's the catch? This free roaming seems too good to be true.
They want you to go over the free limit so they can charge you. That is why you need to add the credit card.
Koodo $35/10GB 😎
Public Mobile $30/2GB 😎
Tesla Model 3 owner 😁
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: What's the catch? This free roaming seems too good to be true.
The catch is charging people who can't/don't want to read the terms they agree to. That's why you find so many negative reviews about FreedomPop and that's why it is always recommended NOT to give them a credit card or PayPal account they can actually charge. They also sometimes "accidentally" charge users for no apparent reason (according to reports online). 90% of customers do no read this forum or follow the advice to use a prepaid card and will end up paying outrageous fees which subsidize the service for the remaining 10% :)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote: Check this thread on the Freedompop forum: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... orm-errors

Also, just to reiterate, this service is for CALLING phone numbers in the countries listed. It has nothing to do with the SIM. the SIM is for DATA only and works in all supported countries without the need for this addon (meaning you get DATA connection). You can also make calls to USA & Canada from ANY country in the world as long as you have a data connection (mobile or Wifi), without the need for any addons (all you need is the Freedompop App and a data connection).
So looks like I need change my billing information from PayPal to a credit card. I am already $5 prepay account so it could be a problem changing the billing information. Do you think I can add the nTrust credit card and remove PayPal without any issue? I have seen some people were charged for $28 for no reason...
The reason I want to add this service is that I will be going to Spain next year and I want to be able to call local Spain number. I read somewhere that you need to add this service in order to call the local number.
Koodo $35/10GB 😎
Public Mobile $30/2GB 😎
Tesla Model 3 owner 😁
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
bose wrote: So looks like I need change my billing information from PayPal to a credit card. I am already $5 prepay account so it could be a problem changing the billing information. Do you think I can add the nTrust credit card and remove PayPal without any issue? I have seen some people were charged for $28 for no reason...
The reason I want to add this service is that I will be going to Spain next year and I want to be able to call local Spain number. I read somewhere that you need to add this service in order to call the local number.
Are you expecting to make enough calls to a Spanish number to make this worthwhile? Remember you get only 100 minutes. I would recommend topping up a Google Hangouts account instead and using that to call Spanish numbers while you are in Spain. Worst thing that can happen if you try switching your freedompop to ntrust and they charge you (assuming you don't have enough funds in ntrust) is that they will block your SIM. It's up to you if you are willing to take the risk of having your SIM blocked (and need to order again + reship) or you can just pay for Hangouts.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote: Are you expecting to make enough calls to a Spanish number to make this worthwhile? Remember you get only 100 minutes. I would recommend topping up a Google Hangouts account instead and using that to call Spanish numbers while you are in Spain. Worst thing that can happen if you try switching your freedompop to ntrust and they charge you (assuming you don't have enough funds in ntrust) is that they will block your SIM. It's up to you if you are willing to take the risk of having your SIM blocked (and need to order again + reship) or you can just pay for Hangouts.
Thank you for kind advice. I took a chance and I was able to add the Global 100 fee successfully. Here is how I did it.

1. Added nTrust MC to my billing setting. Used the mymallbox as billing address as you suggested. They took out $0.01 and my $5 credit remained.
2. Added the Global free 100.
3. Changed the billing setting back to PayPal. They authorised $0.01 and my $5 credit remained.
4. I will cancel the PayPal billing agreement a few days later

Thank you very much for all your help! I now have an ultimate travel SIM.

Koodo $35/10GB 😎
Public Mobile $30/2GB 😎
Tesla Model 3 owner 😁
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1544 posts
3913 upvotes
Pawtucket
bose wrote: Thank you for kind advice. I took a chance and I was able to add the Global 100 fee successfully. Here is how I did it.

1. Added nTrust MC to my billing setting. Used the mymallbox as billing address as you suggested. They took out $0.01 and my $5 credit remained.
2. Added the Global free 100.
3. Changed the billing setting back to PayPal. They authorised $0.01 and my $5 credit remained.
4. I will cancel the PayPal billing agreement a few days later

Thank you very much for all your help! I now have an ultimate travel SIM.

How did you get 1.7 gb of data? Did you not downgrade your plan yet? If not, you should do it soon to avoid future charges. I usually do it immediately after signup
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2121 posts
1411 upvotes
Calgary
I just ordered a phone from Freedompop the other day (shipping to a U.S. address and having someone bring it back for me). Only going to be using it in the U.S., and I have already downgraded to the free plan and removed all premium services. The account is presently hooked up to my Paypal.

To confirm, is the best thing to do from here:

1) Pay the $5 to remove auto top up
2) Log into my Paypal and remove the auto-authorization

Assuming I do a) and b), will they keep my account active? Or does removing the Paypal authorization cancel things out on FreedomPop's system?
Feb 17, 2009
327 posts
309 upvotes
I received three sim cards about a month ago -- two registered to one e-mail account, the third to a second e-mail account. Been reading about the unauthorized charges so I replaced my credit card with Paypal about a week ago and cancelled the pre-approved authorization for all three sim cards. I did not pay to remove auto top-up feature. I have not received any cancellation notices. Will I be ok? Seems like there are different opinions about using Paypal with pre-approved authorization removed. Has anyone actually been charged by Freedompop on their Paypal account after the pre-approved authorization has been cancelled?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
redboy69 wrote: How did you get 1.7 gb of data? Did you not downgrade your plan yet? If not, you should do it soon to avoid future charges. I usually do it immediately after signup
I downgraded already but still showing 1.7GB. 1GB+500MB+200MB. Is it because this would be my first month? What do you think? I tried to downgrade but it won't remove $0 granted service. Hopefully, this grant service goes away in next billing period.

Koodo $35/10GB 😎
Public Mobile $30/2GB 😎
Tesla Model 3 owner 😁
Dec 2, 2016
19 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks OP. Bought 3 sims with different email addresses last week and so far my experience is mixed. One order got cancelled with FP claiming credit card fraud but 2 were shipped to mymall box. All 3 sims were purchased with the same credit card...go figure. Received FedEx confirmation of delivery on Tuesday this week but only one sim package is shown in my account. Emailed mymallbox and waiting for response. Hope they can track down the package.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1807 posts
521 upvotes
I'm guessing the poster above with 1.7GB has that because he got the 1GB starting bonus on top of the usual 200MB plus additional 500MB from referrals, it should go to 700MB after the first cycle.

Hmmm I'm thinking about my situation now. I got a cancellation email the day after I signed up, and when I re-established the payment method I got all the menus back, but lost the 1GB, so I have 200/500/200 talk/text/data. I don't care about losing the bonus, since I likely won't be using the SIM for a while. I did start a ticket about the cancellation email and their response was "everything is ok, you can ignore that, your account is active". But that response was the day after I re-established payment method, so I wonder if the SIM will actually work though. How do you associate the SIM card to your online account? Seems there should be an activation step at some point.
Aug 12, 2016
364 posts
238 upvotes
Does anyone know how to cancel friend requests on Freedompop I added the whole list and was just gonna cancel the requests that didn't respond, but I tried and it says "Feature coming soon". I don't wanna be that d*ck that has 100+ friends on there when it doesn't benefit anyone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1544 posts
3913 upvotes
Pawtucket
bose wrote: I downgraded already but still showing 1.7GB. 1GB+500MB+200MB. Is it because this would be my first month? What do you think? I tried to downgrade but it won't remove $0 granted service. Hopefully, this grant service goes away in next billing period.
Interesting. I didn't have that bonus when I signed up for mine but it shows $0.00 for your account so you should be fine. It should disappear after the first month I suppose. Safe thing is to change CC to nTrust or prepaid card to avoid unwanted charges just in case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1544 posts
3913 upvotes
Pawtucket
notfromqc wrote: I'm guessing the poster above with 1.7GB has that because he got the 1GB starting bonus on top of the usual 200MB plus additional 500MB from referrals, it should go to 700MB after the first cycle.

Hmmm I'm thinking about my situation now. I got a cancellation email the day after I signed up, and when I re-established the payment method I got all the menus back, but lost the 1GB, so I have 200/500/200 talk/text/data. I don't care about losing the bonus, since I likely won't be using the SIM for a while. I did start a ticket about the cancellation email and their response was "everything is ok, you can ignore that, your account is active". But that response was the day after I re-established payment method, so I wonder if the SIM will actually work though. How do you associate the SIM card to your online account? Seems there should be an activation step at some point.
Card should be activated and associated with your account already. If once you receive it and pop in the sim card and the app doesn't recognize the sim, you will need to either sign into your account in the app or will have to contact Freedompop and give them your sim IMEI and account email address.
jaswest2754 wrote: Does anyone know how to cancel friend requests on Freedompop I added the whole list and was just gonna cancel the requests that didn't respond, but I tried and it says "Feature coming soon". I don't wanna be that d*ck that has 100+ friends on there when it doesn't benefit anyone.
You can't cancel the requests once you've asked for it. You are correct in that the feature doesn't work. I wouldn't worry about having so many friends. Its better a bunch in case some cancel so you won't lose your 500mb if friends data.