Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 5:22 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1285 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
Wanted to post about my experience with FreedomPop:
- had ordered the global SIMs on 3 separate occasions in September and October 2016 and sent it to my MyMallBox address,
- shipped from my myMallBox address (Delaware) to Toronto within a 1.5 weeks,
- added friends on the 3 different accounts to increase bandwidth,
- finally got to try the SIMS on a short trip to the U.S. (Dec 25-26, 2016),
- setup with an Android phone (OnePlus 3 running Oxygen OS 3.2.7, rooted) took a bit of fiddling since I had to manually change the APN settings (it defaulted to three.co.uk, so I changed it to freedompop.foggmobile.com as per the instructions here: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... 170/kw/apn
- setup with an iPhone 5S Plus (running iOS 8.4.1) took a bit of messing around because it didn't install the profile by default when I inserted the SIM card... what I ended up doing was creating a hotspot with my Android phone, opened the FreedomPop iOS app and clicked on the sidebar option to generate the APN profile, entered the correct info and then was able to install the profile without issue. I just got home and there's actually instructions to go to this webpage for generating the profile (but pick Global SIM instead of GSM): https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... /related/1
- setup with an iPhone 7 Plus (running iOS 10.2) was easy -- profile was installed without issues after inserting the sim...

After setting up, all 3 sims worked without issues. Obviously there are some areas where the connection is spotty (was using along the I-90 and could only get a 2G connection), but in Syracuse, NY and Verona, NY, no issues came up. I monitored data usage by logging into the website and with the respective Android/iOS app.

Overall, I think it was a good experience. Pretty easy to set up and use.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1975 posts
46 upvotes
I have a manually unlocked Iphone 6 from Rogers, it doesn't work when I enter my IMEI. I'm supposed to call their 1-800 number but googling that, I hung up, since the wait was over a few minutes and Iphone 6 seems to have problems with their network.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Nov 1, 2003
800 posts
147 upvotes
If I don't need this until my trip to France/Switzerland at end of March, is it better to wait until then or to get in on the 1c deal? I will be skiing for a week in Vermont after Jan 1 so could have the SIM mailed to the resort. But I have prepaid T mobile for the US already so won't be using it then.
Apr 6, 2008
196 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal, QC
aokec wrote:
Dec 27th, 2016 2:32 pm
I have a manually unlocked Iphone 6 from Rogers, it doesn't work when I enter my IMEI. I'm supposed to call their 1-800 number but googling that, I hung up, since the wait was over a few minutes and Iphone 6 seems to have problems with their network.

Any ideas?

Thanks
you don't need the IMEI you need to change the apn : iOS APN Configuration
Apr 6, 2008
196 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal, QC
GPS wrote:
Dec 27th, 2016 2:43 pm
If I don't need this until my trip to France/Switzerland at end of March, is it better to wait until then or to get in on the 1c deal? I will be skiing for a week in Vermont after Jan 1 so could have the SIM mailed to the resort. But I have prepaid T mobile for the US already so won't be using it then.
I suggest that you take advantage of the 1c promo and downgrade everything as is explained by OP on the first post , buy at least 6 cards with a prepaid sim card with low balance (cost 6cents) . you will have 5 referrals between them that gave you extra 500mb at month + 200 Base = 700 mb per sim card.
In March, when you go for your trip just transfer 100mb from each of your cards to the main sim card account you'll be using
you'll have 700mb + 500mb (100 from each account) = 1.2Gb (only use 1.1 gib or less otherwise they'll try to charge you )
Nov 1, 2003
800 posts
147 upvotes
Ok, I tried to order a card to be sent to the resort but my payment keeps failing. I tried a prepaid US visa with resort address, and a personal MC with our billing address (can't pick state though). Neither are working. How did you guys get around the payment issue?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1060 posts
527 upvotes
Calgary
GPS wrote:
Dec 27th, 2016 3:50 pm
Ok, I tried to order a card to be sent to the resort but my payment keeps failing. I tried a prepaid US visa with resort address, and a personal MC with our billing address (can't pick state though). Neither are working. How did you guys get around the payment issue?
Try Paypal (linked to your prepaid card)... It worked for me with a previous Freedompop order and seems to have worked for others.
Sep 4, 2013
166 posts
84 upvotes
Burnaby
Cannot vouch for the quality of the service. Only managed to send a few texts to my main cellphone using the Freedom app after I got it working. However despite turning off auto renewal and downgrading my plan (they are shifty and make this round about to find on their website... using really small font when you finally find the page to do it) they still dinged my paypal for some $40/month plan.

Currently working with their support to see if they will refund me the money. If not paypal dispute it is. Will comment on how reasonable they are about this.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10600 posts
861 upvotes
So I have one account and one number working but what are the ways I can add more data for free? Any tips and tricks? Been hard for me to search on my phone and trying to conserve data at this point... In the states now, working well in Sarasota Florida!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1662 posts
468 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 8:24 am
So I have one account and one number working but what are the ways I can add more data for free? Any tips and tricks? Been hard for me to search on my phone and trying to conserve data at this point... In the states now, working well in Sarasota Florida!
Go to the OP, there is a slickdeals link, there you'll see a list of email addresses of people who want to cross refer each other for extra data. You get 50 MB/month per person up to 500MB extra, so if you get all 10 people, you'll have 700MB per month. You can also request data from your FP friends, but no guarantee they will.

I have a suspicion many of the people whose email address is on the list already have their 10 people, because initially I copy/pasted 10 people and nobody responded, and after trying 10 other people with no result, I copy/pasted the whole list to invite all of them, and even then it took a couple of days to get all 10.
Jun 30, 2014
215 posts
47 upvotes
ON
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 8:24 am
I have no plans to travel this month, so PM me and I can transfer you some data that you can use.
Jan 31, 2010
50 posts
1 upvote
anybody else having issues logining in to the freedompop.com website? I can login but it only shows my alerts and notifications. there are no drop down links for plans, account usage, billing, etc.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22096 posts
4100 upvotes
Waterloo
redboy69 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 11:13 pm
I picked up my sim cards today. All sims came activated this time. Inserted sim to unlocked phone, and "Synced data" and it automatically registered within the FP Messaging app. Took a pic of the packaging in case anyone is looking to use a freight forwarding place like Mymailbox.
@OP - great work, but I'm sure you meant MyMALLbox.com instead (and not myMAILbox.com
https://www.mymallbox.com
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22096 posts
4100 upvotes
Waterloo
Finally took the plunge and give it a try at 1 cent
Thanks for all the help

I've done
- ordered, with my myMALLBox address as Billing AND shipping address, with my Canadian MasterCard, surprised it went through
Sucks eBates.com is only 7.5% cashback now, no $5 per purchase. Oh well, they did have the FREE/$0.01 SIM card offer on eBates.com

What's next?
- If I want to order multiple SIM cards (Can I be my OWN friends to add up the MB?), do I keep ordering to the same address with same CC and email? say I order 5 SIM in total? Do I refer my self? like #1 refer #2, #2 refer #3?
Although 50MB/friend is so little
Connect with friends on FreedomPop and increase your guaranteed monthly data. Each friend is worth +50MB/month so start connecting today!
- After they all ship to myMALLBox, I ask myMALLBox to mail forward to me in Canada, yes?
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K