Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 5:22 pm
Sep 27, 2009
509 posts
85 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
does anybody else have trouble Installing the apk?
everything I try it says installing then app did not install.
any other apk installs fine
using Samsung s7 edge ughh
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1796 posts
1404 upvotes
itr452 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 5:12 pm
does anybody else have trouble Installing the apk?
everything I try it says installing then app did not install.
any other apk installs fine
using Samsung s7 edge ughh
Try uninstalling first any other Freedompop apps. They have two apps which are incompatible with each other.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1804 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
Does this thing work in rural USA such as upper state New York ?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1804 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
kanata2004 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 5:43 pm
Does this thing work in rural USA such as upper state New York ?
Answer it myself, asked and answer is no for rural north New York area.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Aug 12, 2014
37 posts
6 upvotes
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
Oh

God no, I have paid using paypal but I didnt change properly my address so I registred with my canadian address and the paypal transaction worked!

Did someone tried this? Maybe they will refuse the transaction before sending it?

I feel so noob now :(

Now I'm scared they overcharge my paypal account with some random fee. I think you can block paypal automatic pay. Anyone know how?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1180 posts
262 upvotes
Edmonton
marioBross2 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:17 pm
Oh

God no, I have paid using paypal but I didnt change properly my address so I registred with my canadian address and the paypal transaction worked!

Did someone tried this? Maybe they will refuse the transaction before sending it?

Now I'm scared they overcharge my paypal account with some random fee. I think you can block paypal automatic pay. Anyone know how?
Wouldn't it be even better if they mail it directly to your home?' I tried but it didn't let it go through. In your PayPal, you can revoke the prepay authorisation of freedom pop
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1022 posts
348 upvotes
This was a nightmare on my trip to Europe and I've opened a dispute with Paypal to get my money back. Didn't work in most of the countries that it said it was supposed to. Made my trip less enjoyable. Also, when trying to restore texting service, I authorized it to charge $0.01 to my Paypal and it ended up charging another $19.99 usd automatically. Terrible.
Sep 21, 2007
327 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
From the ebates.com site, there's a link to get a SD card and a 8 GB MicroSD card for 99 cents, so the SD card is 74 cents more than the 25 cent SIM card only, and you get a $5 rebate, so you make $4 and get a free 8 GB MicroSD and SIM.

Free Mobile Phone Service with Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit and Free MicroSD Card: https://www.ebates.com/freedompop_12286 ... eb-Desktop

Note it's ebates.com (US site) not ebates.ca but they will pay out to a Canadian address or paypal account.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18938 posts
1372 upvotes
The top post on the SlickDeals thread you posted says to avoid this company...

--

Due to my recent experience with Freedompop, I am NO LONGER RECOMMENDING this company. Mad

The company started off with potential but after many sleazy experiences I can definitively say that they are acting in bad faith and not to be trusted.
Please do your own due diligence but my $0.02 is certainly,
STAY AWAY! DO NOT TRY.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Oct 15, 2016
122 posts
34 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:50 pm

--

Due to my recent experience with Freedompop, I am NO LONGER RECOMMENDING this company. Mad

The company started off with potential but after many sleazy experiences I can definitively say that they are acting in bad faith and not to be trusted.
STAY AWAY! DO NOT TRY.
That is because they were charged when they hit a low threshold.
Best thing to do is sign up with Paypal and remove the association for auto-pay or use a prepaid credit card and ensure balance is $0 in the card.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Apr 14, 2010
201 posts
50 upvotes
i won't say you need to stay away..
it a great service for FREE. I loved it when i used it in US. My friends loved it as well.
as long as you make sure there is no way they can charge you more (ie. use a prepaid card to register) and downgrade every single package/add on, there is nothing to lose.
Attention to detail is the key.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
922 upvotes
tmonies wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 12:28 pm
So is it recommended not to use or download the FreedomPop app, because it's not required and it'll bog down your phone?

Is it as easy as plugging in the SIM card when you're in the US or traveling in Europe and start to use data (after setting up the correct APN and switching LTE data off, only HSPA and GSM)?

What's the purpose or benefit of their app then?
The app is good for calling. I use it in Canada because I was able to get a Canadian area code with it (and others here on RFD got one too I believe the last time this promo was on). So for me the app is very useful for texting & calling over data-only plan. It doesn't bog down my phone in any way that I can tell.
SIMs you can just swap as you wish, you can get 5 SIMs and swap each one after you use up the 600MB (to stay above the 100MB cut-off limit).
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
922 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:50 pm

--

STAY AWAY! DO NOT TRY.
Even if it's the top post, it's just one person who can't read, no big deal. The best setup for FreedomPop is many SIMs but each on its own email address, all with prepaid cards. Then you can use them to your hearts content and if they block it who cares, just swap with one of the other SIMs and throw the blocked on in the garbage. As long as you use a different email for each one they won't be affected. And always a prepaid card of course.
Oct 15, 2016
122 posts
34 upvotes
marioBross2 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:17 pm
Oh

Yes, you can cancel the Paypal auto pay subscription to avoid any charges.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Aug 12, 2014
37 posts
6 upvotes
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
YorkIT wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 7:14 pm
Yes, you can cancel the Paypal auto pay subscription to avoid any charges.
I can't find the auto pay setting in my paypal account. Is it only avaible on the desktop site?