Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1732 posts
482 upvotes
^^^
What he said.

In my Moto E2 I looked around in the data settings, and you can set a warning limit and a hard limit (ie it won't use any more data once you reach the hard limit). You can also synchronize the date cycle to match the cycle of your SIM.
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 11:38 pm
If FP cannot get their money once you are near the 100 MB threshold, your account is frozen.
Is it frozen as in only until next cycle, or permanently? essentially rendering the SIM useless?
Feb 9, 2017
234 posts
259 upvotes
Travellots wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:46 pm
Is it frozen as in only until next cycle, or permanently? essentially rendering the SIM useless?
Frozen until you type in a legitimate credit card
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9533 posts
2421 upvotes
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:12 pm
Crappy company. On slickdeals I saw someone saying they don't recommend them. Even if the service is suppose to be free (after your 200mb you need to charge or you would be out until next month), making you pay and freezing your account even when you still have 100mb left is crappy.

So, if your account is frozen, it will stay frozen even if the next billing cycle started?

Also, I just received my SIM. On the cover, it says to download and install the FreedomPop Messaging? Why exactly do I need to do this? Will it not work if I don't install the crappy app?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1394 posts
319 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 5:58 pm
Crappy company. On slickdeals I saw someone saying they don't recommend them. Even if the service is suppose to be free (after your 200mb you need to charge or you would be out until next month), making you pay and freezing your account even when you still have 100mb left is crappy.

So, if your account is frozen, it will stay frozen even if the next billing cycle started?

Also, I just received my SIM. On the cover, it says to download and install the FreedomPop Messaging? Why exactly do I need to do this? Will it not work if I don't install the crappy app?
Data will work with just APN but calling and texting won't since it's through the app.
Feb 9, 2017
234 posts
259 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 5:58 pm

You don't need it for data. Just type in APN and you're all set. If you want to make calls/text using the FP # you got, then you need to download it.

If you're just using iMessage or if you have Google Hangouts, then you're fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9533 posts
2421 upvotes
dealseeker wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:04 pm
Data will work with just APN but calling and texting won't since it's through the app.
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:10 pm
You don't need it for data. Just type in APN and you're all set. If you want to make calls/text using the FP # you got, then you need to download it.

If you're just using iMessage or if you have Google Hangouts, then you're fine.
Oooooh, so the crappy minutes and texting is VoIP? Then I can just use Fongo or Google Voice to make calls. Would their app data basically don't count towards their data cap? when I saw 200min and 500text I thought they actually provde voice as well. But it makes sense now that they are in 26 or whatever countries
Feb 9, 2017
234 posts
259 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:17 pm
Oooooh, so the crappy minutes and texting is VoIP? Then I can just use Fongo or Google Voice to make calls. Would their app data basically don't count towards their data cap? when I saw 200min and 500text I thought they actually provde voice as well. But it makes sense now that they are in 26 or whatever countries
Their app does not count towards data cap. You can use any VoIP you'd like. They just provide data + voip. Data is basically what everyone is going for with these SIM cards. I personally have around 20 SIM cards because I keep using FaceTime.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9533 posts
2421 upvotes
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:21 pm
Their app does not count towards data cap. You can use any VoIP you'd like. They just provide data + voip. Data is basically what everyone is going for with these SIM cards. I personally have around 20 SIM cards because I keep using FaceTime.
So is just everybody making sure they don't go bellow 100mb to avoid the credit card charge for what is suppose to be a free service?
Apr 4, 2008
173 posts
67 upvotes
Windsor
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 7:26 pm
So is just everybody making sure they don't go bellow 100mb to avoid the credit card charge for what is suppose to be a free service?

Yes. And it's not free, it costs a one-time fee of USD$1.99 for under 600MB per month and a per MB fee for over 600MB per month. 700MB if you pay $5 for topups.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9533 posts
2421 upvotes
Well I'm not planning to pay anything more than the 1c I paid to get the SIM shipped to me. Will see what happens when/if the account is frozen. With friends I do have 700mb so I guess I'll put a hardcap limit of 600mb on my cell so it won't pass above that
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
920 upvotes
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:12 pm
May be if freedompop had legitimate business practices people would put "legitimate" credit cards to begin with.
Not once I've head friends ask me: "I would really like to pay to get more data, what can I do." and my response has always been: "Nothing. Go get a local SIM if you need more data.". Why? Because freedompop has a reputation of illegitimate charges, unclear/unfair plan cancellation policy (including the 100MB "catch" and the fact people have been charged for the trial premium if going over the 600MB during the first month).

Until Freedompop learns the meaning of the word "legitimate" my advice continues to be: "Freedompop is a FREE service. A FREE service does not need a payment method with more than $0 available."
Feb 9, 2017
234 posts
259 upvotes
Same. Been using it since 2013. Never paid more than the phone or SIM card.

People are just bitter because they can't read the terms of service or they don't know their limit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9533 posts
2421 upvotes
G0DKING wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 9:58 pm
I don't know about y'all, but FreedomPop has been nothing but good to me

I never bothered with not putting my actual credit card and they've never charged me anything unexpected; then again, I've never went within 100mb of my limit
AShenCA wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 11:23 pm
Same. Been using it since 2013. Never paid more than the phone or SIM card.

People are just bitter because they can't read the terms of service or they don't know their limit.
So basically no matter what don't go near the bottom 100mb? With friends from slickdeals I managed to get 700mb easily, which I think it's the cap. So basically only plan to use at most 500mb and should be good to go?

I think still it's illegitimate to charge someone if they reach to the last 100mb and freeze their accounts. It's their 100mb, they can use it if they want, and they should have the option to wait until the next billing cycle if they don't want to spend money. So in this term I do think freedompop is scammy. But will try to play the system. It is free in the end.