Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1395 posts
3357 upvotes
Pawtucket
Diafel wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:22 pm
This was a nightmare on my trip to Europe and I've opened a dispute with Paypal to get my money back. Didn't work in most of the countries that it said it was supposed to. Made my trip less enjoyable. Also, when trying to restore texting service, I authorized it to charge $0.01 to my Paypal and it ended up charging another $19.99 usd automatically. Terrible.
Sorry to hear you had problems. I have read some horror stories as well. Personally, I have been fortunate and haven't had any issues with their CDMA or GSM service and I have been with them for almost 2 years now. If you do encounter problems with service or billing, I recommend PM'ing the Freedompop Rep on Slickdeals. He/she is very responsive and usually quick to assist with problems. You just need to provide your account email so they can look it up. I've always found him/her very helpful. Much better than having to call their customer service line which is completely useless.
Oct 15, 2016
139 posts
38 upvotes
unnamed88 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 7:11 pm
i won't say you need to stay away..
it a great service for FREE. I loved it when i used it in US. My friends loved it as well.
as long as you make sure there is no way they can charge you more (ie. use a prepaid card to register) and downgrade every single package/add on, there is nothing to lose.
Attention to detail is the key.
I can't agree more.
It's like regitering a domain name for $0.99 with Register.com or Web.com and forgetting to remove the auto renew, learning the hardware that you've been charged $30+ for a domain name renewal.
It's not a SCAM, we just have to be dilligent when signing up for these promos and knowing all the details.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Aug 27, 2009
220 posts
51 upvotes
marioBross2 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:17 pm
Oh

God no, I have paid using paypal but I didnt change properly my address so I registred with my canadian address and the paypal transaction worked!

Did someone tried this? Maybe they will refuse the transaction before sending it?

I feel so noob now :(

Now I'm scared they overcharge my paypal account with some random fee. I think you can block paypal automatic pay. Anyone know how?
Have you got the welcome email? If not, I believe the charge has not gone through and the order is not completed. You may check your PayPal activity and see if the payment is completed. They can only charge you when the order is completed.
Aug 12, 2014
37 posts
6 upvotes
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
sinot wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 8:08 pm
Have you got the welcome email? If not, I believe the charge has not gone through and the order is not completed. You may check your PayPal activity and see if the payment is completed. They can only charge you when the order is completed.
Yes, the transaction is in my paypal history and I received the welcome email. I still didnt understand why it worked.

It would be nice to have to my house directly but it would be surprising to see it working as the service is not avaible at all in Canada.
Nov 29, 2015
126 posts
65 upvotes
Does the account deactivate if the automatic top up is denied? I signed up with a prepaid credit card that had less than $3 balance and I can't opt out from auto top up.
Last edited by yodelh on Nov 19th, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1196 posts
271 upvotes
Edmonton
gadgetman wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:46 pm
From the ebates.com site, there's a link to get a SD card and a 8 GB MicroSD card for 99 cents, so the SD card is 74 cents more than the 25 cent SIM card only, and you get a $5 rebate, so you make $4 and get a free 8 GB MicroSD and SIM.

Free Mobile Phone Service with Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit and Free MicroSD Card: https://www.ebates.com/freedompop_12286 ... eb-Desktop

Note it's ebates.com (US site) not ebates.ca but they will pay out to a Canadian address or paypal account.
It seems like that particular ebates offer doesn't give you the option to pay with Paypal, and must pay with credit card.

The regular $1 sim card without the memory card allows you to pay with Paypal.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1246 upvotes
GVRD
In the past, I can't use PayPal for any promotional sales. Maybe that's changed now..

My NTrust card has less than $5 balance but it still works with FP.

If you happened to pay $5 to opt out auto load up, the balance will expire once in a while, but you can go to the Billing section to reactive it. It seems I can do it indefinitely when it is expired.

For the ebate.com, you just need to copy and link for the sale page you want to buy, then click the ebate link, once it logged your click through and FP set the cookie, you can then paste the correct link to check out. I had success with 6 of 8 transaction with this. The other 2 transaction I had ebate credit me afterward when I uploaded the receipt and order number.

Redboy and I can answer most FP questions as we are still using this on an ongoing basis.
Jan 31, 2010
53 posts
1 upvote
ordered yesterday and setup the freedom pop account as instructed in the OP. this morning I got an email saying my order was cancelled. didn't give a reason. anybody know why?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1610 posts
228 upvotes
areby50 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 8:55 am
ordered yesterday and setup the freedom pop account as instructed in the OP. this morning I got an email saying my order was cancelled. didn't give a reason. anybody know why?
what address did you use for shipping ?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
1235 posts
283 upvotes
areby50 wrote:
What is your payment method?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2509 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
areby50 wrote:
- Ordered 2 SIMs (different email address, same MyMallBox mailing address)
- First one got a FedEx confirmation
- Second one got e-mail with cancellation
- Didn't bother contacting them for an explanation and risk the first SIM cancelled as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6691 posts
1254 upvotes
Mont-Royal
pay an anual fees or expiration like chatsim?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
918 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 4:01 pm
No fees. I believe it expires if you don't use it. I use the app to keep one of the accounts active (app usage counts towards account activity, there is no way to use data with this SIM in Canada). For the other accounts I just transfer data between them hoping it would account as "usage". They've stayed active for 3 months so far.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1395 posts
3357 upvotes
Pawtucket
L4cky wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 4:01 pm
There are no annual fees or maintenance fees if you have Downgraded everything to the free plan. One of my account did experience an inactivity period after no usage for about 3 months but I was able to login to my account online and reactivate without any charge.

My recommendation would be to login to your online account once a month and that should be enough to keep your account active. Thats what I have been doing. I haven't used my FP GSM sim cards or my CDMA phones every since I started using Ringplus yet all my FP accounts are still active and have not been charged any fees.