Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 5:22 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2569 posts
675 upvotes
West
greg123 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 7:37 pm
I ordered two sims a little over a month ago, downgraded everything, and still received a charge of $45.xx today? Wtf? Never received any invoice, never used the sim, and I'm sure everything was downgraded! Already emailed them!

Anyone else had problems with extra charges? How long did it take them to reverse the charges?
Not sure how you got a $45 charge, but it should be a non-issue as you should have used a prepaid Visa card to avoid any surprise charges as recommended in this thread... Now you know the freedompop way.
On the Koodo $40 for 6GB Plan 😉
Oct 31, 2005
581 posts
150 upvotes
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:53 pm
Not sure how you got a $45 charge, but it should be a non-issue as you should have used a prepaid Visa card to avoid any surprise charges as recommended in this thread... Now you know the freedompop way.
i also got a $38 charge randomly. Have used them for about 4 months, and this was the first time I got a charge. Made sure I downgraded everything, and nothing should have changed.

Emailed them, but still no response.
Banned
Jan 9, 2017
225 posts
57 upvotes
Careful, I had an issue where I ordered a service that never arrived. I couldn't cancel or downgrade it so THEY CLOSED MY ACCOUNT since they said it was too hard to fix!
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22107 posts
4106 upvotes
Waterloo
I filed support ticket re: my stolen phone/SIM card
Didn't get any reply until now, a "Your FreedomPop Account Has Been Cancelled" email... I guess that's that

so I assume I will just start from scratch again, when Global SIM becomes available? Downgrade and add Friends again, etc...
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Jan 28, 2017
128 posts
60 upvotes
***Service Alert*** to anyone who has signed up for the LTE service with FP:

There is apparently a "bug" in the system which may keep your premium service even if you thought you unsubscribed. What you need to do:

once logged into your account, paste or type the following link into the address bar (instead of just going into 'My Account' as this you should have done already) - PLS EDIT TO REMOVE THE SPACES: https : // www . freedompop . com / acct _ overview . htm

You will see your account overview. At the bottom of the screen, under 'My Services', you will likely discover this:

FreedomPop Premium Plus $7.99/mo

Click on the 'view details' link next to the text above, and, as usual, you will see at the very bottom in size 2 font: "To deactivate the FreedomPop Premium Plus service, click here"

You know what to do once you get there, right?

Even if you have disabled auto pop-up and changed your billing details to a prepaid card, once you get hit with the $8 charge, it's all over, so do the above for all your LTE accounts.

Credit goes to this website: http : // www . cranialborborygmus . com / FreedomPop-LTE-gsm-sim-review . htm # FreedomPop-Service-Downgrade-BUG
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2196 posts
1135 upvotes
GVRD
Nam5588 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 8:42 am

There is apparently a "bug" in the system which may keep your premium service even if you thought you unsubscribed. What you need to do:

once logged into your account, paste or type the following link into the address bar (instead of just going into 'My Account' as this you should have done already) - PLS EDIT TO REMOVE THE SPACES: https : // www . freedompop . com / acct _ overview . htm

You will see your account overview. At the bottom of the screen, under 'My Services', you will likely discover this:

Click on the 'view details' link next to the text above, and, as usual, you will see at the very bottom in size 2 font: "To deactivate the FreedomPop Premium Plus service, click here"

Even if you have disabled auto pop-up and changed your billing details to a prepaid card, once you get hit with the $8 charge, it's all over, so do the above for all your LTE accounts.

Credit goes to this website: http : // www . cranialborborygmus . com / FreedomPop-LTE-gsm-sim-review . htm # FreedomPop-Service-Downgrade-BUG
I can confirm this happen to one of the account and the SIM was bought about 2 weeks ago when they first dropped to $0.99
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8831 posts
1346 upvotes
Montreal
Nam5588 wrote:

Mine is still good, I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1338 posts
2965 upvotes
Pawtucket
Nam5588 wrote:

Thanks for this. My accounts seem ok but this is good to know for others. I will add this to the op.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5552 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
ryyeung wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 1:06 am
i also got a $38 charge randomly. Have used them for about 4 months, and this was the first time I got a charge. Made sure I downgraded everything, and nothing should have changed.

Emailed them, but still no response.
did you get a response yet? can we do a chargeback with paypal or visa?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2003
1535 posts
38 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
This is a huge thread, so I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but I have a question regarding iPhone users.

I'm locked to Telus (I'm with PublicMobile though). I've seen mention, and links to, the FreedomPop page with the info regarding APN settings (https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... te-gsm-sim)

By going through those steps (setting up the new APN), does this mean I don't have to have my iPhone unlocked? Just want to be sure before I fly out (going to California for a few weeks). I've ordered the US LTE SIM. I wasn't sure if I should get that or the Global SIM.

One more thing: Should I wait until I receive the SIM and have everything up and running before I turn off the auto-renew option?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2569 posts
675 upvotes
West
kloan wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 9:22 pm
This is a huge thread, so I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but I have a question regarding iPhone users.

I'm locked to Telus (I'm with PublicMobile though). I've seen mention, and links to, the FreedomPop page with the info regarding APN settings (https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... te-gsm-sim)

By going through those steps (setting up the new APN), does this mean I don't have to have my iPhone unlocked? Just want to be sure before I fly out (going to California for a few weeks). I've ordered the US LTE SIM. I wasn't sure if I should get that or the Global SIM.

One more thing: Should I wait until I receive the SIM and have everything up and running before I turn off the auto-renew option?
Your phone would have to be unlocked. Not sure what you're talking about with auto-renew, but your Fpop account should be be downgraded ASAP. Also the freedompop sim does not work in Canada, it won't pick up a network signal until you are in the US.
On the Koodo $40 for 6GB Plan 😉
Oct 31, 2005
581 posts
150 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 9:58 am
did you get a response yet? can we do a chargeback with paypal or visa?
I actually called in. They were super helpful. The charge was actually due to me not properly downgrading everything.

The agent reimbursed me the charges, and did the downgrade over the phone. Got e-mail confirmations of everything.

So I was very happy. Props to freedom pop. I thought I was worried about the "scams", but this was legit and good customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5552 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
ryyeung wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 2:20 pm
I actually called in. They were super helpful. The charge was actually due to me not properly downgrading everything.

The agent reimbursed me the charges, and did the downgrade over the phone. Got e-mail confirmations of everything.

So I was very happy. Props to freedom pop. I thought I was worried about the "scams", but this was legit and good customer service.
i contacted them through email, 2 days later all charges returned, and they downgraded everything, although im pretty sure I already did following the instructions on the first page.