Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
Anyone else got a 1 cent charge from FP?

All my US LTE SIM cards have paypal as my payment method (and no paypal charge that I can see) so this charge may have been related to my Global SIM cards, where the Visa card had already expired.

Edit:

Logged into both of my Global SIM and confirmed that the card expiration date has lapsed. I wonder how the 1 cent charge got through.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1431 posts
3750 upvotes
Pawtucket
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:00 pm

All my US LTE SIM cards have paypal as my payment method (and no paypal charge that I can see) so this charge may have been related to my Global SIM cards, where the Visa card had already expired.

Edit:

Logged into both of my Global SIM and confirmed that the card expiration date has lapsed. I wonder how the 1 cent charge got through.
Strange. I checked all my accounts and none of them have the penny charge. I wonder why some accounts are affected and others are not. You should message the FP guy on SD and they will take care of it. I know its only a penny but you don't want this reoccurring.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
redboy69 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:57 pm
Strange. I checked all my accounts and none of them have the penny charge. I wonder why some accounts are affected and others are not. You should message the FP guy on SD and they will take care of it. I know its only a penny but you don't want this reoccurring.
What's his handle on SD? I will wait as it may be temporary. The card number is valid but expiration was in 2016 for my two Global SIM's.
Apr 17, 2014
341 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:00 pm
I got a $0.01 charge for my Global SIM. Since activating I hadn't used it. So it is an account maintenance fee.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
Confirmed it is for Account Maintenance. Seems like a new thing. I've had my Global SIM's for over a year now and accidentally had to use one of them (kept the LTE SIMs in a different sandwich bag) a few months ago so maybe that's why only one of the two was charged a cent.

Hopefully it will be a cent from time to time as I don't mind that. Surprised that the charge went through when the expiry date was in 2016. Maybe it's better this way so FP doesn't close these accounts. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1431 posts
3750 upvotes
Pawtucket
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:46 am
Confirmed it is for Account Maintenance. Seems like a new thing. I've had my Global SIM's for over a year now and accidentally had to use one of them (kept the LTE SIMs in a different sandwich bag) a few months ago so maybe that's why only one of the two was charged a cent.

Hopefully it will be a cent from time to time as I don't mind that. Surprised that the charge went through when the expiry date was in 2016. Maybe it's better this way so FP doesn't close these accounts. :)
Did you contact the FP rep? Did they say they will reverse it or if they will continue to charge $.01 every month? I don't mind paying $.01 but I have so many accounts that is could add up in the future. If that's going to be the case moving forward, I might just cancel a few.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
redboy69 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:23 am
Did you contact the FP rep? Did they say they will reverse it or if they will continue to charge $.01 every month? I don't mind paying $.01 but I have so many accounts that is could add up in the future. If that's going to be the case moving forward, I might just cancel a few.
No, I haven't contacted the FP rep. I'll ask for clarifications (tonight) on when and why these fees are being charged.
Apr 17, 2014
341 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:06 pm
No, I haven't contacted the FP rep. I'll ask for clarifications (tonight) on when and why these fees are being charged.
It will definitely not be monthly. I initially activated my SIM on January 7th, 2017.
The $0.01 charge was on May 25, 2017.
And that was the only one since then.
Apr 17, 2014
341 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary
Found this on their Terms and Conditions:

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:06 pm
I guess I don't have to bother with utelurtz providing the T&C. I only have 7 lines so 7 cents/ month is not a biggie.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1431 posts
3750 upvotes
Pawtucket
I'm beginning to dislike these guys and their shady practices. Not sure how they decide who and when to charge the $0.01 to. I have over 10 accounts varying in age of opening and products and none of them have been charged so I don't get why you guys are being charged. Seems so random.

Lucky I used an old prepaid card with a near zero balance. I'll continue to use them until they suspend all my accounts :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1431 posts
3750 upvotes
Pawtucket
And it just gets worse...
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/07 ... ce-to.html

This week FreedomPop added a new wrinkle to the plan downgrade process. In order to downgrade to the free plan the customer must now have a $5 or greater account balance. New customers start out with a zero balance and when they try to downgrade they are prompted to authorize a $5 top up. The top up gets added to the account balance and can be used to pay for overages. Having a $5 balance was also already a requirement to be able to turn off automatic top-ups, which is something I recommend doing. If you add $5 to turn off automatic top ups you will not be asked to add a second $5 to downgrade your plan.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51065 posts
15750 upvotes
I did the $5 top up on all five LTE plans. We just have to reactivate the credit each month.

I guess I will be sucking up to these one cent fees than having to pay my US mailbox $1.80 for each fedex shipment.
Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
Would transferring 100mb between accounts be classified as using more than 5mb. That should work to cancel this fee. I just signed up for 4 cards luckily right before this new $5 nonsense.